• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tenney? Hello? Is this thing on?

witch hobble

Well. It'll be three years come December. Gotta be make or break for getting open this year. My confidence has never been all that high, but It's sinking fast.

what do you think? Any front line employees gonna be hired? Any lift tickets gonna be sold?

MG Skier

I have been following since I saw it on NELSAP years ago.....I always wondered why it wasn't open....Lifts should be good to go but I know there was talk of some upgrades to the snow making system (pumps/compressors), not sure where that stands.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I have been following since I saw it on NELSAP years ago.....I always wondered why it wasn't open....Lifts should be good to go but I know there was talk of some upgrades to the snow making system (pumps/compressors), not sure where that stands.

Michael is saying that they will open this year.

dlague

He got tied up in a lawsuit by his former COO that would not allow him to operate. Not sure what the status of that is.

Jully

He got tied up in a lawsuit by his former COO that would not allow him to operate. Not sure what the status of that is.

Thought I heard the lawsuit was resolved a few months ago. If that is the case, this year is hopefully the year. If he still struggles to open with the lawsuit resolved, I think it will be tough to move forward after this year.

Opening a ski area is really hard. He and his team are awesome, but there are so many unforeseen challenges that can derail a project. I think they can do it, but this has just been another example of just how hard it is to reopen a lost ski area, even one that was in relatively good shape (standing, functioning-ish lifts, a standing, functional lodge, semi-functional snowmaking infrastructure, etc).

mbedle

Its pretty bad:

"Most people like playing snow and water so they try to go on beach every vacation."
"There are many things that you will love there such as the steepness, the trailers, the staffs, the snow itself and the grooming."
"We are travelers seeking to explore the beauty on this earth. We have been to so many skiing places to find pleasure for ourselves."

There is no way this is their official webpage. Owned by a Bradley Covert.

Jully

Do they actually have a website now...?!

http://www.tenneymtn.com/

It's real bad if this is actually their website. Lots of typos and all other kinds of mess.

What even... skiing pictures CLEARLY not taken from actual stuff at Tenney or even in the northeast are a special pet peeve of mine. Tenney has been closed obviously, so not many pictures available but if you really think pictures are necessary, then at least find something that is a little bit eastern and not 5 feet of western powder sitting on the edge of a cliff.

I don't think that can be their website though... makes no sense. It is 100x too bad.

Jully

Thank goodness. I was looking for a contact on the website.

My favorite is "Snowboarding is really fun for since the area is wide and snow is really amazing friend of snowboarders. Many Snowboarders would like to stay in the mountain for this is the best mountain for them. The skiing and snowboarding, price is not that questionable because it gives you the best entertainment you are looking for. This means Tenney Mountain has a perfect rate for you on you vacation."

Runner up is also "Since you are interested in skiing, we are here to help you find the most amazing experience in skiing from the best skiing place on earth. If you have clarifications, please feel free to contact us. Thank you for viewing this site."

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Thought I heard the lawsuit was resolved a few months ago. If that is the case, this year is hopefully the year. If he still struggles to open with the lawsuit resolved, I think it will be tough to move forward after this year.

Opening a ski area is really hard. He and his team are awesome, but there are so many unforeseen challenges that can derail a project. I think they can do it, but this has just been another example of just how hard it is to reopen a lost ski area, even one that was in relatively good shape (standing, functioning-ish lifts, a standing, functional lodge, semi-functional snowmaking infrastructure, etc).

The lawsuit was resolved and Michael lost his 50K and had to give back his equipment. Hopefully that'll teach him not to have verbal agreements with crooks. That aside....

Sir Michael is committed to slow growth. While both chairs are certified he's running regularly to keep them up. The snowmaking (compressors, pipes and guns) plus grooming are things that will come in time while the lodge gets regular improvements and maintenance. I'm confident that this kind of slow growth will continue. Maybe this will be the year he can have his "soft" opening.

Also recently I see that his father has passed away so wrapping up his estate while mourning his loss will take some time I'm sure.

Newpylong

His lodge and lifts are ready after the past few years work. His snowmaking pipes were largely repaired. Unless he goes MRG style, he needs pumps, compressors (lease if need be), snow guns and air hydrants, hoses, etc. We shall see, best of luck to him.

Mapnut

Might someone be holding that domain name hostage? In other words, this is so embarrassing, pay us money and we'll take it down.

mbedle

Might someone be holding that domain name hostage? In other words, this is so embarrassing, pay us money and we'll take it down.
While you can hold a domain name hostage for money, it is illegal to post a website portraying an actual business. A simple C&D would put an end to the website content and there are plenty of other domain names they could use for their official website.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Its pretty bad:

"Most people like playing snow and water so they try to go on beach every vacation."
"There are many things that you will love there such as the steepness, the trailers, the staffs, the snow itself and the grooming."
"We are travelers seeking to explore the beauty on this earth. We have been to so many skiing places to find pleasure for ourselves."

Yeah. I think that is their old URL. Someone bought it....judging by the bad English I would guess Chinese...and are probably fooling around with it until the real Tenney buys it back.

MEtoVTSkier

Tenney Mountain Presents Development Plans to Plymouth Planning Board

newenglandskiindustry.com Story

[FONT=Georgia, Arial]Tenney Mountain will open for skiing this winter and hopes to start construction on an 80 unit hotel as soon as this summer, according to a presentation made to the Plymouth Planning Board last week. Tenney Mountain Development Group representative Bruce Cunningham made the non-binding conceptual presentation, outlining a 5 to 8 year project build-out, "assuming that the economy stays very strong."

Outlining plans for the 2017-18 ski season, Cunningham stated Tenney had "gone through recertifications of the lifts" and "will be open and operating worst case scenario the second week of February."

After reopening the ski area, Cunningham stated Tenney Mountain Development Group plans to develop an 80 unit condominium hotel, 90 adjacent townhomes, an 84 unit senior living community, a 120 unit townhome community, and a retail plaza. In addition, plans call for apartments, labs, and study halls as part of an expansion of Plymouth State University. Overall, approximately 335 total living spaces are proposed.

Beyond the residential developments, Tenney plans to tap an aquifer to sell bulk water in 4 by 4 by 4 totes, possibly for military and corporate use. Non-skiing activities at Tenney could include a natural climbing wall, a zip line, and paths for walking, jogging, and biking.

According to Cunningham, "the priority to move forward with would be the hotel. Bringing in the funds for the hotel, bringing in the operator, and getting the hotel built, as fast as possible. Assuming the mountain is open, and it will be, and it will be fully operated this year so that it will be ready to go next year. So that would take place, literally if we had the permits, we'd start this summer, this spring."

"Simultaneously, that retail plaza would be something that they'd want to install right off the bat. And then, we'd be tackling the senior living."

According to Cunningham, "the mountain is privately funded" by Managing Business Partner Alessandro Insolia's company and "they have over three and a half million dollars into it and they're dedicated to getting the rest of the mountain open and operating."

According to Tenney's Facebook posts, the Hornet chairlift is "100% complete." In recent weeks, Tenney has taken delivery of a modern snowcat, an HKD fan gun, and has been renovating the base lodge.

Located just outside of Plymouth, New Hampshire, Tenney Mountain ski area first opened in 1960. After repeated struggles in recent decades, the 1,400 vertical foot ski area closed in 2010. Bouchard's Tenney Mountain Development Group acquired the property in November of 2014.
[/FONT]

Looks like any day now...

Vaughn

Tenney Mountain Presents Development Plans to Plymouth Planning Board

[/URL]

Looks like any day now...

That's cool but it's too bad they're opening 1/2 way through the season. Maybe it's an intentional soft opening but my understanding is that vacation weeks are everything for ski mt. operators and they've missed the big one.

As for the 80 room hotel, who knows. There are really very few good hotels in the western Whites so fingers crossed but it's a bit far from I-93. They really seem to be throwing everything against the wall to see if something sticks so I hope they find something.

thetrailboss

Staff member
That's cool but it's too bad they're opening 1/2 way through the season. Maybe it's an intentional soft opening but my understanding is that vacation weeks are everything for ski mt. operators and they've missed the big one.

As for the 80 room hotel, who knows. There are really very few good hotels in the western Whites so fingers crossed but it's a bit far from I-93. They really seem to be throwing everything against the wall to see if something sticks so I hope they find something.

I doubt that they are going to open. Everything I see posted is great, but way behind time-wise. I like him and his transparency, but they don't have their act together. This will be the third season that they have missed.

MEtoVTSkier

I believe their intention was to soft-open a bit earlier after the Christmas Holidays, but evidently that bad damaging Nor'easter that had gone thru, did a large amount of damage to the terrain they had to contend with.