• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tenney? Hello? Is this thing on?

VTKilarney

It's nice to see that they are managing expectations. That will develop trust in the long run.

Jully

I went through their updates thoroughly and they seem to be doing it right if you ask me - incremental upgrades.

Start with the low hanging fruit - fix snow making inefficiencies and get the existing lifts running and see where it goes. I wouldn't dump money into a HSQ until you've seen how much interest there is. 7-8 trails actually sounds like a really good amount if the snowmaking system is really antiquated.

Would love to get over there this winter to check it out.

I completely agree. They're looking to save as much of the infrastructure as possible and the main focus is getting the snowmaking up and running again with water capture.

Sir Michael has been saying that he has done studies in the viability of the mountain and its water 4 years before buying the land itself.

We will have to see what the winter brings, but as of now my hat is off to the team that's bringing Tenny back. They are so involved and really focusing on the community. I'm super impressed.

Lift improvements are definitely needed, and needed soon, but dumping the money in right away is reckless and its how a project can go over budget because you plan on spending x on snowmaking and y on a lift, but then a dozen other hidden problems arise and you're left fresh out of initial capital.

dlague

I completely agree. They're looking to save as much of the infrastructure as possible and the main focus is getting the snowmaking up and running again with water capture.

Sir Michael has been saying that he has done studies in the viability of the mountain and its water 4 years before buying the land itself.

We will have to see what the winter brings, but as of now my hat is off to the team that's bringing Tenny back. They are so involved and really focusing on the community. I'm super impressed.

Lift improvements are definitely needed, and needed soon, but dumping the money in right away is reckless and its how a project can go over budget because you plan on spending x on snowmaking and y on a lift, but then a dozen other hidden problems arise and you're left fresh out of initial capital.

They basically rebuilt the part of the chair that attaches to the cable.

Lift parts.jpg

They are looking at terrain expansion and using that opportunity to get new lifts in and then replacing existing.

http://thecitizen.villagesoup.com/p/tenney-mountain-revamp-continues/1378010

Smellytele

attachment.php

They are looking at terrain expansion and using that opportunity to get new lifts in and then replacing existing.

They only mentioned "With ideas to design new trails, he said in the future there could be other lift systems to match them." when it came to new lifts and trails.

thetrailboss

Staff member

View attachment 17209

They've nailed this point:

“It’s all about transparency,” said Bouchard. “I spend two hours at night and an hour in the morning answering everyone’s questions. When it makes sense, and there are changes made, we post it right away on Facebook. Electronic media has been huge for this process. Other mountains are asking us, ‘How are you getting all this excitement?’ It’s about communications with the people. Period.”

vermonter44

While I don't usually check up on ski area's FB's, I make a point to check Tenney's everyday. For me it is just to follow the revival, but other people are going back everyday to cheer on. And people are telling others about it too. They already have over 2,000 likes, and growing fast, which is amazing. This guy knows what he's doing. If only other resorts used this method ( Burke, Saddleback, to name a few)

thetrailboss

Staff member
While I don't usually check up on ski area's FB's, I make a point to check Tenney's everyday. For me it is just to follow the revival, but other people are going back everyday to cheer on. And people are telling others about it too. They already have over 2,000 likes, and growing fast, which is amazing. This guy knows what he's doing. If only other resorts used this method ( Burke, Saddleback, to name a few)

+ 1

dlague

I have notifications turned on so I can be aware that they posted stuff. I have also visited Tenney, but have yet to catch them.

Newpylong

Small ski area operators are in it together. Many families have been priced right out of this industry and now have to drive hours, if they can afford it. Small to mid size mountains that are affordable are absolutely crucial to keeping the sport alive. As much as I love being pampered with high speed lifts and lots of terrain, I think we owe it to patronize these places.

I see Whaleback posted on Tenney's wall a best wishes on rejuvenation which goes to show it.

Bostonian

Tenney has basically hit all the right buttons in terms of building good will in the community... I love reading their updates and seeing the progress on the hill. To the point, I am sold on a season pass - even when I already have one for Gunstock. Even if I only ski there two times this season, it will be worth it just to help support them in the future!

dusty

Went up and walked around late a few nights ago just to check it out, unfortunately couldn't make it up when people would be around. LOTS of work still to be done and lots of projects going on everywhere. A huge undertaking for sure but if his team stays at it I think they will get it done. Everything after the lifts are ready should be basic carpentry and a bunch of guys can be hired at the last minute to complete the work if needed I would think. :)

xwhaler

Tenney has basically hit all the right buttons in terms of building good will in the community... I love reading their updates and seeing the progress on the hill. To the point, I am sold on a season pass - even when I already have one for Gunstock. Even if I only ski there two times this season, it will be worth it just to help support them in the future!

Be interesting to see what ticket rates, specials, and passes look like first yr back. I'd like to check 10E out again.
The terrain off the triple there looks ideal for working with my son on the leash next season.

dlague

Be interesting to see what ticket rates, specials, and passes look like first yr back. I'd like to check 10E out again.
The terrain off the triple there looks ideal for working with my son on the leash next season.

I will talking to him about ideas.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
"The Colosseum Restaurant from Salem, Massachusetts. will be updating the kitchen to make it fully functional for thousands of customers per day."

Thousands?

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Newpylong

Starting to get skeptical about ambitions here. Read a blurb about a summit convention enter in the future, etc. Mike said his investors are paying $300M for the project. Tenney is a great mountain but I don't see it or Plymouth pulling skiers by the thousands. I fear turning 10-E into a resort meant to turn a major profit is going to mitigate the advantages it might have as an affordable alternative mountain.

becca m

Yeah...the "convention center" seems odd to me...so many other convention center options around!!!! Will they become another so-so family resort?

deadheadskier

Staff member
NH actually needs a good sized convention center as one doesn't exist in the state. Believe the biggest is attached to the Radisson in Manchester and that's a small and crappy facility.

Top of Tenney isn't the place for it though.