• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tenney? Hello? Is this thing on?

Bostonian

Starting to get skeptical about ambitions here. Read a blurb about a summit convention enter in the future, etc. Mike said his investors are paying $300M for the project. Tenney is a great mountain but I don't see it or Plymouth pulling skiers by the thousands. I fear turning 10-E into a resort meant to turn a major profit is going to mitigate the advantages it might have as an affordable alternative mountain.

Well if they tie it into Plymouth State College, which is down the street it may be do-able; but again, thousands of visitors seem overly optimistic. Nonetheless, I am happy to see Tenney reopen in any form they may be able to get it in. The fact they are clearing trails, fixing key assets, bringing the chairs into a proper state of good repair - thereby investing into the local economy it's better than the alternative.

Puck it

"The Colosseum Restaurant from Salem, Massachusetts. will be updating the kitchen to make it fully functional for thousands of customers per day."

Thousands?

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone
I think they mean Salem NH

witch hobble

I have a feeling there is some spitballing and pie in the sky stuff going on.

but hey, I'm willing to bet this is the first 23 page thread about Tenney in internet history.

AZ challenge this year? Tenney would be a good candidate.

Tin

Have a feeling that plans for the future are bigger than we know.

And their dreams for it might be a little bit bigger than reality can support. I do think WV's big plans could actually help Tenney though in terms of drawing people to the general area.

VTKilarney

For conventions, there is a pretty big center attached to the Courtyard by Marriott hotel in Concord.
http://www.grapponeconferencecenter.com/

The Wentworth By the Sea has some decent space as well. You have some other places such as the Raddisson in Nashua.

But... there isn't a whole lot overall. I know that the Hanover/White River Junction area has a real shortage of convention space. But Killington is just as close and it has a hotel onsite.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Wentworth space is actually rather small. I worked there and know it well.

Have not been in the Grappone space. The issue with it is it's in a crappy location that's rather disjointed from downtown. That and a lack of hotel rooms in Concord makes it a bad draw for convention attendees.

Center of New Hampshire at the Radisson in Manchester is a great location and decent, but I think the state could use something twice the size.

That said I don't think Tenney is a good spot even with the University there. There's just not enough of a draw in town. I mean if the New England Center failed at UNH, I don't see a lesser more remote school bringing in much meeting business.

dlague

Ok I just Met with Micheal Bouchard at Tenney. We talked about a boat load of stuff including the Convention Center. It will not be Lift served rather there plans are to build an access road from the other side and have a 1000 person Confernece Center that is more high end. They do not think the area is well represented with facilities that size. He also noted that it is a longer term goal. We also talked about the expansion plans and they want to build out across the whole ridge. Overall they are not looking to make money on lift ticket sales alone but by selling research, technology (a whole other topic around snow guns, snow cats, energy consumption, trail management etc.), land use ideas as well as real estate. Keep in mind they are scientist and they are using this mountain to cunduct research. They basically have a 3-5 year plan and then an even larger 10-15 year plan. definitely in it for the long haul. We also talked about ticket/season pass price models (interested in a low cost model), back country ideas, and more. We walked around and he and their COO walked me around showing everything they ripped apart. They have a lot of work to do.

So ..... I asked if he would be willing to participate in an AZ Challenge and he wants to make that happen. I will work with Nick to get it setup. He is totally transparent.

dusty

Dlague, thank you for that; I wonder what sort of research exactly. It sounds like they (Sir Michael) developed some breakthrough tech and finally decided on Tenney to fully test it before trying to integrate it into manufacturers snow making equip etc.. some sort of cold weather break through..

hm, it's all pretty interesting though isn't it!

Hosting an AZ challenge is certainly a cool idea!

VTKilarney

I like these guys a lot and I'm willing to buy a lift ticket just because of that.

dusty

Same here VT, just ran across a comment on the FB page about truth to a rumor or possibly building a student apartment complex. Seems like a great way to access the PSU crowd and their visitors. Hopefully this is done tastefully if it is to happen!

dlague

Dlague, thank you for that; I wonder what sort of research exactly. It sounds like they (Sir Michael) developed some breakthrough tech and finally decided on Tenney to fully test it before trying to integrate it into manufacturers snow making equip etc.. some sort of cold weather break through..

hm, it's all pretty interesting though isn't it!

Hosting an AZ challenge is certainly a cool idea!

I am going to make the AZ challenge happen already reached out to Nick. They already of done a ton of research and yes are going to implement it. He talked a lot about electrical concepts, aerodynamics of fans, GPS technology, remote everything etc. Sometimes he was talkiing over my head. Nice people. I actually met with three of them. Gave the kudos for the communications on FB.

Mapnut

If they're going to develop the whole ridge, there's a nice northeast-facing bowl a mile north of Tenney, where the topo shows a 2,137-foot peak, with 1400 vertical feet and some steeps. It could all connect nicely, much better than the Balsams layout.

dlague

If they're going to develop the whole ridge, there's a nice northeast-facing bowl a mile north of Tenney, where the topo shows a 2,137-foot peak, with 1400 vertical feet and some steeps. It could all connect nicely, much better than the Balsams layout.

That is part of the area in yellow (Expansion). He would like to put in a Gondola to serve that peak from the lodge. Bottom right hand corner will be homes where it is more shaded. Of course this is part of the long range plan. They have a nice 3D model of their plans. The red block is where the conference center will go with access from the other side with 360 views. The intention is not to have the main conference are serve skier traffic. They may add a pub area for that purpose. They are definitely looking a different sources of revenue to keep lift ticket prices low. BTW he told me that anyone who is interested is welcome to stop by anytime and if they are there will talk rather openly about it.

Tenney.jpg

dusty

wow, has to be years and years off and only if the funding is granted but would be incredible to add that lift and new trails