• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Goggle lens for the East

KevinF

I have Smith IOX goggles -- they're big, but I wear prescription glasses, so I need something that fits over. The "IO" series comes in various sizes as well.

At any rate, I have the blue-sensor mirror lens in them. I have a spare lens of some other color that I have never switched out, even on Western trips. Sure, on bright sunny days it's a little bright, but it never really seems to stay all *that* bright for all that long.

wtcobb

I'll add a vote for the Smith I/O series. I have I/OS (smaller frame) that I got on sale at the end of season a couple years back. One black frame, one semi-opaque orange. Gets the job done.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I lov emy Smith I/O's both for form & looks. But I only have two lenses for them and they both leave something to be desired. I need a better flat light lens.

levy1

I have the same goggles. Yellow lens, a medium one (can't remember which, but i think it's Amber?), and then one for full on sun (reflective coating). I love them. Super easy to change, and I've had days where I've used all three lenses. I don't know the difference between the Jade and Rose that you are talking about, but if you go to the Oakley website, you can chose different lenses, and it shows your the affect, as well as telling you what light they are good for.

I have the one with black reflective clothing is that the one you have can you wear when it's not too sunny out

deadheadskier

Staff member
I have Smith IOX goggles -- they're big, but I wear prescription glasses, so I need something that fits over. The "IO" series comes in various sizes as well.

At any rate, I have the blue-sensor mirror lens in them. I have a spare lens of some other color that I have never switched out, even on Western trips. Sure, on bright sunny days it's a little bright, but it never really seems to stay all *that* bright for all that long.

I was about ready to pull the trigger on a pair of I/OX until this past weekend when a truck kicked up a rock and ruined my windshield. I'm fine with my old Smith's, but like new toys. I thought about it getting the new windshield yesterday. That cost $300, but a set of I/OX around $140-50. Smith must make a healthy margin on their goggles.

gmcunni

I was about ready to pull the trigger on a pair of I/OX until this past weekend when a truck kicked up a rock and ruined my windshield. I'm fine with my old Smith's, but like new toys. I thought about it getting the new windshield yesterday. That cost $300, but a set of I/OX around $140-50. Smith must make a healthy margin on their goggles.

i think levelnine, last december had special on I/OX for $50. only came with 1 lens tho. i got them, love em

deadheadskier

Staff member
That's really good deal. Lens are what? $40ish

The ones I was finding in the $140 range included 2 lenses.

gmcunni

Hawkshot99

I guess I didn't explain myself very well I bought the Oakley airbrake for $188 it came with a black prism Lens and a high yellow I wanted for flat light now the prison lens is black they also have the Jade and they have a rose I'm thinking the Black is going to be too dark for Eastern skiing and I should get a jade or a rose does anybody have an opinion on this
The new PRIZM lenses from oakley are kinda like a HD lense. The Jade is the darkest lense that Oakley makes, so I would avoid them. The Black iridium that you have paired with a HI Intensity yellow should cover most conditions. If you really wanted, I have used the Prizm Rose, and thought they were quite nice for a east coast goggle.

mister moose

It takes me about 15 seconds to change lenses and my goggles came with both of them. I'd rather have a good set of goggles that are optically correct, comfortable, and never fog than a cheap set. If they happen to look cool as well, even better. I paid around $160 a couple years ago when they had just come out, which I agree isn't cheap, but it's not the top of the range by any means either. I ride around 25-30 times a year and I'll have them for at least 4-5 years. Totally worth the money, IMO.

I'm using Smith Phenoms for about $40 on eBay. Just as good quality as the I/Os. Have a pair of rose, yellow and blue ignitor mirror. Not a "cheap set". Never fog. I ski 65-80 days, and I wouldn't use them if they didn't perform.

legalskier

It takes me about 15 seconds to change lenses and my goggles came with both of them. I'd rather have a good set of goggles that are optically correct, comfortable, and never fog than a cheap set. If they happen to look cool as well, even better. I ride around 25-30 times a year and I'll have them for at least 4-5 years. Totally worth the money, IMO.

Are you referring to the I/O? I'm thinking of getting them- but wondering whether the spare lens fits comfortably in your jacket, or do you keep it in your bag back in the lodge? I'd like to be able to keep it in my jacket for quick changes out on the hill (because conditions can be so variable at times) but I'm not sure where it would fit in my jacket.

C-Rex

Are you referring to the I/O? I'm thinking of getting them- but wondering whether the spare lens fits comfortably in your jacket, or do you keep it in your bag back in the lodge? I'd like to be able to keep it in my jacket for quick changes out on the hill (because conditions can be so variable at times) but I'm not sure where it would fit in my jacket.
You could throw it in a pocket without any trouble.

Bandit2941

Like with anything important: skis, boots, poles, gloves, women, etc it's all preference and what works for you. I personally like the Oakley stuff. I typically ski at Belleayre where even on a sunny day in winter the light gets flat not long after lunch as sun drops behind the ridge. I use high intensity yellow and high intensity persimmon (blue). HI Yellow is the best on really low light days and HI persimmon is almost as good in low light but they don't kill your eyes as much in sun. Both are low light goggles and if I could only have one I'd recommend the high intensity persimmon in whatever frame fits your face best. I also have emerald and ice lenses but rarely (never) use them. When spring comes I switch to sunglasses.

Going to try the new PRIZM rose lens this year.