• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wachusett People (Warning: Rant)

podunk77

So I'm checking out Wachusett's facebook page and I see people complaining about stuff like "why aren't you open til 10:00 PM?" after four consecutive 50+ degree days in November, or "why was there a delayed opening today?" after the place got 2.5 inches of rain.

I know we're supposed to believe that big business owners are inherently bad, but I can't help but feel bad for resort owners and managers who have to put up with this level of stupidity and ingratitude. Sometimes the customer/skier isn't always right.

JimG.

Staff member
So I'm checking out Wachusett's facebook page and I see people complaining about stuff like "why aren't you open til 10:00 PM?" after four consecutive 50+ degree days in November, or "why was there a delayed opening today?" after the place got 2.5 inches of rain.

I know we're supposed to believe that big business owners are inherently bad, but I can't help but feel bad for resort owners and managers who have to put up with this level of stupidity and ingratitude. Sometimes the customer/skier isn't always right.

Sometimes?

drjeff

Because most skiers/riders have absolutely no clue about what goes into running a ski area and what it takes to safely prep and operate a lift or what it takes to produce, maintain and at times preserve a snow surface!

I'm fortunate enough to have many friends in the ski industry from mountain ops to food and beverage/resort services to management, and the ins and outs of what goes on is WAY more than most people could imagine

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
+ 1 to Harvey's affirmation of drjeff's posting. But the customer is thinking, I drove all the way up here and I am shelling out a lot of cash and ...

However, in most cases, the problem opening is with lifts. Most ski areas have a fixed amount of time for the lifties to prepare a lift to open - and they make no adjustment to allow more time even when they are aware in advance of a day when they know it will take longer.

Last edited:

VTKilarney

So this is the NEW. Normal , Average IQ is abysmal , most today are not rocket scientists . :roll:

Actually, statistics show that average IQ had increased over the past few decades.

This appears to be an issue of reasonable expectations, rather than overall intelligence.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
By definition, average IQ is 100. I was amused a number of years ago when a local newspaper (back in the days we had those) ran a headline that read, "Parents of such-and-such school children were appalled to learn that half of the students were below average!"

ThinkSnow

So I'm checking out Wachusett's facebook page and I see people complaining about stuff like "why aren't you open til 10:00 PM?" after four consecutive 50+ degree days in November, or "why was there a delayed opening today?" after the place got 2.5 inches of rain..

I think the point was missed here-- this has nothing to do with Wachusett.

This thread should be re-titled, "Facebook People."

Honestly, who cares who's complaining on FB?

skiNEwhere

I think these people have the perception that if you run a business, you have control over every facet of it. Including weather

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
I've learned that there are often issues that management can't really share (and keep their jobs) that make "reasonable" requests impossible.

My first experience with this was the paid parking thing at Gore in 2009. Passholders were going nuts on this tax that was added to park. I also thought it was bullshit.

I walked into the GM's office and decided to listen before I ranted. I came out feeling very different about the decision.

There are many things that happen... if you know what's really going on you accept the outcome.

It's frustrating sometimes because if I didn't have the info I could just bitch with everyone else.

Newpylong

Facebook is full of some winners. That's probably the same type of person who asks a mountain "how many trails are open" right below the resort's link to the snow report.

Warp Daddy

Not too many, hockey playing rocket scientists like me either. I think I broke the mold.

Puckster , You my man ARE an American Original �� and i got that straight from Wayne n the boyz . The Nor easter is rockin the Burg right now , gonna be some sweet turns made sooon , very soon ��

4aprice

My first experience with this was the paid parking thing at Gore in 2009. Passholders were going nuts on this tax that was added to park. I also thought it was bullshit.

I walked into the GM's office and decided to listen before I ranted. I came out feeling very different about the decision.

So Harvey now you have got my interest. What exactly did they tell you besides "we have a limited season and this is another revenue stream". My home hill has paid parking on the weekends to the tune of $15. I don't begrudge them for it, just get my exercise from lower lots to the lodge as I refuse to pay to park. Am I cheap? I certainly support them in other ways like spending more then I should at the bar.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ