• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What makes a great jacket?

Hawkshot99

A little off topic, but I'd love to find a pair of waterproof/breathable shell pants that come in short sizes. So sick of walking on my pant cuffs and having to tie them up. Some companies make short sizes but they're impossible to find.

I've got an 18" inseam myself and would appreciate more short sizing. I have had success taking ski pants to a tailor.

My current North Face pants you can actually adjust the length at the heel where I often step on longer pants. There is a drawstring that runs from the heel up into the side cargo pockets where you can cinch up the heel to the proper length. Cool feature

I wear my jeans in a 30" inseam. I used to own the pants that DeadHead is talking about. I was happy to no longer have to walk on my heals, but didnt like all of the extra material that was bunched up. I bought for this year The North Face "Freedom Pant". They are a total shell, comes in short, regular, and long. I have been very happy with the waterproofness of the pants. My one negative is I chose BRIGHT yellow. They look great with my jacket and gear, but do show a decent amount of dirt after awhile.
TNF makes alot of pants in short sizes.

Hawkshot99

got TNF short last year and love it, just harder to find and more limited selection

Harder to find in a shop yes. But have the shop order them for you. Unfortunetly most shops only carry regular pants. If they do carry these "special" pants its only in black. But they exist. Mine were a special order, as I refuse to w ear black pants.

gmcunni

Harder to find in a shop yes. But have the shop order them for you. Unfortunetly most shops only carry regular pants. If they do carry these "special" pants its only in black. But they exist. Mine were a special order, as I refuse to w ear black pants.

and you work in a shop, yes?

Warp Daddy

I have the following jackets a Karbon , An Atomic , A Descente , TNF ,Columbia the original Titanium jacket and And two TNF soft shells one an Apex and the other a Windstopper .

I love my Karbon , two chest pockets outside , 2 slash pockets , A super season pass holder that is toally enclosed and can be velcroed to theinside of the jacket whennot in use this is a great idea , Jacket has 3 internl pockets i is a mesh , it has pit zips ,a powder skirt AND that back of the jacket Zipper pocket for your baseball cap when ur in the lodge sans helmets. Color Red with white piping love it i wear Spyder Black and ref trimmed pants. And a Black red and white Briko race helmet or a Red and Silver Giro Streif race helmet .THIS IS MY PREFERRED Jacket great zippers

Love the Atomic , Black andWhite has similar features as th Karbon BUt also HAS the thumb hand shields that extend frm the sleeves ANDthe other cool feature are an integrated arm pocket for your season pass again nothing flapping or hanging . The Atomic ismy back in black scheme 😊😀, great zippers too,, pit zips etc

The Descente is WILD !!!! multi colored , bright patches !!!! It is unique so i wear that puppy when we are going to a huge venue with the family and the temps are moderate . Why such an outrageous jacket ???? Its fun , i'm weird AND you can always find me hahahahahaha in a crowd .....if cell service rots .

the others are occasional use OR whenever the mood hits me

Grizzly Adams

I agree with the black pants are lame point, but if you have a good looking jacket and ski hard, who really cares? That being said, I myself have always tried to coordinate colors, at least to some extent.

C-Rex

I've got an 18" inseam myself and would appreciate more short sizing. I have had success taking ski pants to a tailor.

My current North Face pants you can actually adjust the length at the heel where I often step on longer pants. There is a drawstring that runs from the heel up into the side cargo pockets where you can cinch up the heel to the proper length. Cool feature

I saw then when I was looking at some Northface stuff. Very cool idea.

SkiFanE

What's wrong with black pants? :dontknow:

I tend to buy whatever is a good deal and doesn't clash. I have black ski pants now and realize how great they are on sunny cold days - they absorb the sun while sitting on chair and warm you up.

dlague

I'm part of a start-up company called Lukla that makes insulating liners for outerwear jackets. We've just started the development of a jacket specifically for skiers. The only problem is finding out exactly what skiers like! If you have strong opinions, please feel free to share them or address some of the following questions below:

What is your favorite brand of jacket and why (i.e. durability, style, fit, warmth, weight)?

What specific features do you look for in a jacket (i.e permanent hood, detachable hood...) and why?

What colour do you like?

Thanks for the help!

Number one feature - low cost, then pockets, then color and from there what ever else in on it or in it (water resistant, powder skirt, omni heat, fleece collar, detachable hood, etc.) . I typically buy during summer tent sales - bought a brand I never heard of, Killtec, and paid $60 two summers ago. Love the jacket and I wear it in sub zero temps no problem! Has everything listed above.

http://killtec.de/?lang=en

crank

I am a shell guy and that is where I get my pockets. Underneath my shell, I wear various layers depending on the temperature. A lightweight insulated inner jacket is something I would be interested in. Right now I have a TNF inner jacket with some sort of nylon insulation. A thin and lightweight inner jacket with really good insulation would definitely interest me... a couple of pockets in that wouldn't hurt either.

C-Rex

I agree with the black pants are lame point, but if you have a good looking jacket and ski hard, who really cares? That being said, I myself have always tried to coordinate colors, at least to some extent.

Depends. I was thinking of getting yellow pants but with my jacket it might be a bit too much. When I bought them I actually wanted a black jacket with the tie-dyed pants but they didn't have them at the burton outlet so I had to compromise.