• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What's it like skiing in the rain?

skiNEwhere

The good thing about it is if you are skiing during a peak period, the rain will keep the crowds WAY down.

MadMadWorld

When you work at the mountain for a few seasons you end up skiing in crazy conditions. You'd be amazed no matter what the weather is someone will always show up for a lesson.

abc

Skiing in the rain has taught me that there IS a significant difference in articles of ski clothing that are listed as water RESISTANT verses articles of clothing that are listed as WATERPROOF!

With water resistant fabrics its only a question of how long it takes for water to permeate through the fabric and you start getting damp/wet :(

With waterproof fabrics, generally speaking unless its a total long duration monsoon or YOU give the water a path of ingress (such as not fully securing a cuff) you're staying dry.

There is a difference!
Yep

And it takes a few tries before one figure out the best way to stay dry.

I'm surprised by so many people who say they are cold in the rain. In this day and age of hi-tech fabric, I've NEVER felt cold in the rain, even when wet. Rainy days are usually warm days, otherwise, the precip would have come down as snow.. My clothes, which can keep me warm at 0 degree, easily keeps me warm when it's above 32.

The saying, about weather and appropriate clothes, has a lot more truth than many realise. You don't have to like skiing in the rain. But if you are cold in the rain, your choice of clothing is at fault.

Last edited:

Scruffy

Thank you.

Honestly is refreshing. For every poster who genuinely likes skiing in the rain, there are five who simply wish to be viewed as hardcore.

I'm skiing today in the rain because I scheduled it, and I want to work on things with my new skis. I hope not to be seen by anyone I know at the mountain, as not to be seen as core or a nut. That's honest. Not being argumentative, or trolling here. ;-)

Glenn

Not a fan. I'll ski in any weather; but rain. Many times, it's accompanied by fog which makes reading the terrain a bit tough. With season passes, I'll skip a day and ski when the weather is better.

Cliffs: I'm probably not skiing tomorrow.

C-Rex

I'd rather ride a couple hours on a rainy, but soft day with no crowds than ride on scraped off boilerplate with bluebird skies and a million people. I don't think I'd make a full day of it, unless i'm riding a gondola or bubble lift though. The lift rides just get too miserable without cover. If cover in the trees is good then it's a great time to get in there. Soft snow and keeps you dryer with better visablility.

Bringing a full change of ski clothes is preferred but you at least need a change of gloves, socks and maybe a fresh hat if you don't wear a helmet. (another +1 for wearing a helmet)

Like others said, a drizzle or light on and off showers is doable but hard driving rain, just stay home and watch ski/snowboard videos with a sixer of good beer.

Skimaine

Managing you gloves is a key part. Bring an extra set and carefully consider how to keep the water out.

Smellytele

I was going to ski today at Sugarbush with my 3 boys but none of them wanted to ski in the niar. I have many of times but I wimped out today as well and didn't want to drive the 2 hours to ski in it. As other have said the snow is usually soft but is often is accompanied by fog. Your goggles become a pain in the ass needing to be wiped off every few turns. the ass of your pants seem to always fail and your ass gets soaked. It isn't that bad if it is 50 and niaring but when it is 33 it starts to wear on you. I have skied wearing trash bags, with grocery bags in my pants covering my ass, and also with small bags in my mittens. All and all it can be fun but it can also just be miserable.

Cornhead

Managing you gloves is a key part. Bring an extra set and carefully consider how to keep the water out.

True dat, I wore deerskin work gloves at Elk, sprayed them with Scotch guard prior, but it was futile. I was wringing them out in the lodge. I grabbed some latex gloves from work to wear over them for the next time I ski in the rain. As long as my hands don't sweat too much, should do the trick. I bought a cheap Frog Toggs rain suit last year. It was inadequate in a heavier rain at Greek, but worked pretty well in the light rain at Elk. I had the pants on at Platty, I was drying/warming my butt by the fire, I told a lady sitting at a nearby table to let me know if my ass burst into flames. Probably fire retardant, but I'm pretty sure Tyvek is a petroleum product.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

SIKSKIER

Hot buns

Although I use these more for frozen seats they work for wet seats too.They are ugly so I usually wear them under my shell.

Attachments

• hotbuns.jpg
    hotbuns.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 89

catskills

Skiing in the rain is pretty frig-in awesome, under rated, and best kept secret. No lift lines and the snow quality is excellent. Skiing on east coast hardpack steep moguls in the rain softens the snow that make it very edge-able. Skiing west coast deep recent powder in the rain is probably thick mash potatoes and may not be as much fun. As for getting wet, bring dry clothes to change into at the end of the day. No worries.

KevinF

Skiing in the rain has taught me that there IS a significant difference in articles of ski clothing that are listed as water RESISTANT verses articles of clothing that are listed as WATERPROOF!

With water resistant fabrics its only a question of how long it takes for water to permeate through the fabric and you start getting damp/wet :(

With waterproof fabrics, generally speaking unless its a total long duration monsoon or YOU give the water a path of ingress (such as not fully securing a cuff) you're staying dry.

There is a difference!

Oh, I agree with you on water resistant vs. waterproof. My jacket and ski pants keep me pretty dry throughout a rain skiing event. I haven't found a pair of gloves yet that are anything close to "water proof". I was saying that once my hands get "cold and wet" -- well, the fact that the other 90% of me is still "dry and warm" doesn't really compensate.

Thus my interest in trying kitchen dishwashing gloves for guaranteed dry hands, but I'm open to other suggestions.

My "summer activities" are cycling and hiking. I won't start a ride or a hike in the rain, but if you're X miles from home and rain hits -- well, you've just got to suck it up and keep going. It happens a few times a year; after a while you convince yourself that being outside in the rain isn't as bad as it's made out to be. Positive attitudes help when you're looking at a "long time" of getting soaked. I guess that attitude translates to skiing -- weather sucks, but I'm going anyway. I understand that it's not everybody's cup of tea.

Cannonball

This is what we wear working at sea in the winter (or year round in the arctic). 100% dry and very warm with a nice furry inside. Though totally not breathable. Cost ~$15. Key is to get the glove under the sleeve, otherwise they just fill up with the water running down your coat.

attachment.php

http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Glove-SB460L-Resistant-Insulated/dp/B000GTZQ9K

Attachments

• 51Z5411PdIL._SY355_.jpg
    51Z5411PdIL._SY355_.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 242

KevinF