• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gas.... < $2/gal

ctenidae

Enjoy it while we can. I'd guess another ~6 months of cheap oil, maybe even getting into the $40's on some theories. It'll be interesting to see if cheap gas has an impact on people's driving. Perversely, people driving more because gas is cheaper is one good way to end cheap gas.

drjeff

This should have a positive impact on the ski areas this season.

Prices in VT are around $2.40ish the last few days. A few cents cheaper just over the CT River in Chesterfield, NH.

Yup, I paid $2.43 a gallon at the Irving on rte 30 near Maple Valley (and the road to Glenn's place) last night on my way home from VT

Glenn

Yup, I paid $2.43 a gallon at the Irving on rte 30 near Maple Valley (and the road to Glenn's place) last night on my way home from VT

It was a nice quiet ride down 91 for a change. Under two hours for us. Probably close to an hour and 45 door to door.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Enjoy it while we can. I'd guess another ~6 months of cheap oil, maybe even getting into the $40's on some theories. It'll be interesting to see if cheap gas has an impact on people's driving. Perversely, people driving more because gas is cheaper is one good way to end cheap gas.

Word has it from market analysts that the REAL reason for the OPEC move is that they're pissed with Iran and Russia. Apparently Putin got into a fight with another oil minister at a OPEC meeting a while back. The other OPEC countries don't like what Russia and Iran are doing with Syria. They're using the fracking boom as cover for their motives.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

drjeff

It was a nice quiet ride down 91 for a change. Under two hours for us. Probably close to an hour and 45 door to door.

Same thing! I went over you're way to get on 91 in Brat, expecting that 100 at the light in Wilmington was going to be a BIG back up based on all the traffic heading South down 100 up by Mount Snow. S went right down 100, and said that she only had "3 or 4 cars" at the light in Wilmington!! Smooth sailing home last night!! No complaints!

ctenidae

Word has it from market analysts that the REAL reason for the OPEC move is that they're pissed with Iran and Russia. Apparently Putin got into a fight with another oil minister at a OPEC meeting a while back. The other OPEC countries don't like what Russia and Iran are doing with Syria. They're using the fracking boom as cover for their motives.

An interesting, and fairly plausible, idea. Only scary thing is what Putin might do when his economic ass is in a sling.

thetrailboss

Staff member
An interesting, and fairly plausible, idea. Only scary thing is what Putin might do when his economic ass is in a sling.

Yes, scary indeed.

The main media was just presuming that OPEC was battling the new fracking boom in North America. And they've run with that story. But what I mentioned above is something that is not reported and is believed by market analysts instead of mainstream journalists. My understanding is that OPEC did not release any reason for their actions at their last meeting. This certainly is not the first time that OPEC has used pricing as a political tool against its own members.

Last edited:

Geoff

This certainly is not the first time that OPEC has used pricing as a political tool against its own members.

...and Putin is indeed a "political tool". :)

The Canuckistan dollar is down to $0.85 against the US dollar. They're going to have one helluva budget crisis this year. A good year to do a Canadian ski trip.

Economists are projecting at least a 5% decline in GDP in Russia from this and the economic sanctions. That's more than the US "great recession" and could be far worse than 5% if Putin screws it up as expected. The Russian economy is running on US $100 dollar bills and nobody wants to have Russian Roubles in their pocket. The Rouble has dropped 40% against the dollar in the last year and shows few signs of strengthening. I sure hope that nut job doesn't start invading more countries.

thetrailboss

Staff member
$1.86 last night at my Costco. That's about half of what we were recently paying.

steamboat1

$2.59 in the city by me today. Might be able to find it for a few cents less. $2.49 from the Poosepatuck Indians on LI. this past Sunday, more than a pac of cigs.