• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Okemo Crowds

skiNEwhere

You're forgetting this is alpine zone, where the majority of members are experts and laugh in the face of Okemo.

crank

If you stay away from the bubble lift the crowds will likely not be too bad.

We skied there on 12/30 and the bubble had massive lines until after 3PM. However, it was the only lift that had any line at all. The rest were all pretty much ski right on. It was a cold day with an icy breeze in your face on the ride up so that may have contributed to the bubble's popularity.

dlague

If you stay away from the bubble lift the crowds will likely not be too bad.

That is exactly right! Were there on New Years Eve day (not by choice for me either) and the traverse trail (Mountain Road) got way to busy and was loaded up with beginners it seemed. Plus it was the return path from the JG side and it cuts across some decent runs unfortunately. Avoid that area as much as possible.

All lifts were fine (0-2 minutes waits) except for the Bubble chair where waits were about 10.

HD333

The only lift I waited at today was the Sunburst 6. All others were ski on. I did quit at 2 though as it was getting very skied off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

canobie#1

Crowds were not as bad as I thought.
Sunburst Six and Solitude were the biggest lines but they move quick. 10 minutes tops.
Sachem quad got a bit of a line too.

EVERYTHING was groomed and skied off by noon. The natural snowfall gave us some nice turns on the edges. This place's terrain is so bland though. Atleast Stratton and Killington's trails have character and are different. I couldn't tell what was a black and what was a green.

Mountain Road was freakin EVIL. Why put all those little ski school kids on the maine access trail? Horrible. Widen it or somethin! I really liked the South Face area. Dream Weaver was one of the best runs and it had nobody on it.

The new Sunburst Six is awesome. I have ridden the orange bubble at the Canyons but this was even nicer. The line moved very quick.

The whole Solitude area felt like Ramshead at Killington, just really bland. Does anyone else agree?

The run of the day was actually the last run. It was the Upper-Lower Cheif trail. NOBODY on it and the snow was great still. Such a nice trail and it makes me wish that I tried out more of the main mountain trails.

That A Quad chair's carpet system sucks. It constantly stops and it isn't even faster. We ended up using the B quad, much faster. That whole area reminded me of snowshed. I liked it.

Great terrain park over on Tomahawk (I think that was the trail). Fun boxes.

Okemo was a really rounded out resort with tons of activities to do, really nice hotel, really nice condos, a nice big shopping town minutes away but the skiing is just not impressive. Am I the only one who think's Okemo's staff is extremly rude? Some lift attendant pushed me today! I shoved him back and kept going but it was ridiculous! I was just standing in line waiting for him to call us up! Plus all the other employees seemed incredibly misserable.

Tuckered Out, Sel's Choice, Dream Weaver, upper mtn, road and Chief are the only trails that stuck out to me. I already forgot about everything else haha.

Overall terrain wise I give Okemo a C. Not everybody likes to ski groomers all day. God forbid they leave some trails ungroomed.

I hope they expand more and not just that condominium expansion because I feel like almost every trail was exactly the same. It was still fun nontheless.

Last edited:

Quietman

Am I the only one who think's Okemo's staff is extremly rude? Some lift attendant pushed me today! I shoved him back and kept going but it was ridiculous! I was just standing in line waiting for him to call us up! Plus all the other employees seemed incredibly misserable.

I've seen the attitude of lifties go down this year. As the economy "improves", people who are willing to work for the min wage are not as happy to be out in the cold to earn it. I have met a couple of exceptions to this, who are really happy on the job and interact with customers, but not as many as in previous years. As for actually shoving a customer, I've thrown snowballs at some, but only in fun!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Bummer to hear about the lift staff. They were always the highlight of the mountain during the 80s and 90s at Okemo. Same lifties every year and pleasant as could be. They were all local carpenters and landscapers back then who were just happy to have winter work instead of being unemployed.

I bet such workers still exist, but Okemo isn't offering a compelling enough wage to get these folks off the government unemployment teet. Same would be the case at most ski areas. Cheaper for the mountains to import the help or rapidly hire and fire less professional workers.........local willing workers and ultimately the customer suffers the most.

canobie#1

It was like dealing with a six flags employee! They were all so rude and just plain rotten.

mightaswell

I was there on 12/20, 21 at Jackson Gore when conditions were great and the help there was superb. All around.....lifts, food service, hotels, and local restaurants/pubs/shops (who also employ many of the same workers)......everyone was very pleasant. I also found Tuckered Out to be a great run. Lines away from the six-pack were non-existent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

xlr8r

Crowds were not as bad as I thought.
Sunburst Six and Solitude were the biggest lines but they move quick. 10 minutes tops.
Sachem quad got a bit of a line too.

EVERYTHING was groomed and skied off by noon. The natural snowfall gave us some nice turns on the edges. This place's terrain is so bland though. Atleast Stratton and Killington's trails have character and are different. I couldn't tell what was a black and what was a green.

Mountain Road was freakin EVIL. Why put all those little ski school kids on the maine access trail? Horrible. Widen it or somethin! I really liked the South Face area. Dream Weaver was one of the best runs and it had nobody on it.

The new Sunburst Six is awesome. I have ridden the orange bubble at the Canyons but this was even nicer. The line moved very quick.

The whole Solitude area felt like Ramshead at Killington, just really bland. Does anyone else agree?

The run of the day was actually the last run. It was the Upper-Lower Cheif trail. NOBODY on it and the snow was great still. Such a nice trail and it makes me wish that I tried out more of the main mountain trails.

That A Quad chair's carpet system sucks. It constantly stops and it isn't even faster. We ended up using the B quad, much faster. That whole area reminded me of snowshed. I liked it.

Great terrain park over on Tomahawk (I think that was the trail). Fun boxes.

Okemo was a really rounded out resort with tons of activities to do, really nice hotel, really nice condos, a nice big shopping town minutes away but the skiing is just not impressive. Am I the only one who think's Okemo's staff is extremly rude? Some lift attendant pushed me today! I shoved him back and kept going but it was ridiculous! I was just standing in line waiting for him to call us up! Plus all the other employees seemed incredibly misserable.

Tuckered Out, Sel's Choice, Dream Weaver, upper mtn, road and Chief are the only trails that stuck out to me. I already forgot about everything else haha.

Overall terrain wise I give Okemo a C. Not everybody likes to ski groomers all day. God forbid they leave some trails ungroomed.

I hope they expand more and not just that condominium expansion because I feel like almost every trail was exactly the same. It was still fun nontheless.

I was there as well today (will post a TR soon) and had a similar experience. I actually thought the conditions were as very good in the morning (noticeably better than Stratton the last 2 days). Chief and World Cup skied great throughout the day, and I also did several runs down Tuckered Out. I actually didn't think the South Face runs were skiing that great even though it was a ghost town over there. The Sunburst Six line was really bad at 11am right before lunch, but never really waited at any other chair. I think the cold weather kept a few people in today, I felt cold more than I normally do, even without any wind. I agree that by the end of the day I was getting bored with the place. Every trail starts to look the same. Again full TR coming soon.

dlague

Wow. Call me a homer but in the past 2 years there I have had nothing but positive experiences with the employees at Okemo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here! In fact, I never really notice the lefties since most chairs require no involve meet on their part. I also think they manage the lines well.