• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe, Saturday, Jan 10th 2015

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
What a great day. Where were all the people? I am not joking, there was pretty much no liftline on the quad all day. And the gondi was pretty much walk on all day too. Where was everyone? Well, we didn't complain, but our legs complained since I've never gotten so many runs in at Stowe in a single day.

Gondilier skied as perfect groomer. Not a blemish to be found. High speed GS turns with ease. However, Perry Merril on that side was in better shape, with much more loose snow. Dead man's curve was actually quite navigable thanks to the lack of people skidding off the good stuff. First time ever I didn't have to watch out for skiers.

Over on Mani, We did several runs on liftline, top to bottom. Hayride, which was in dreadful shape earlier in the week, was being blasted by the biggest force of snowmaking I've ever seen in the east. In the 7 hours we skied, 4" must have been laid down. It was snowing a good part of the day, picked up a couple inches, and an inch the night before. Believe me, a couple inches here and there are making a big diff this year.

Nosedive skied really well. Took a cruiser down North Slope, was quite impressed with the quality.

People were getting into the woods, but our crew, with new skis deferred. A little early still.
There was a microburst last summer that took out dozens of acres in a favorite tree skiing area, Tres Amigos. It is simply unskiable with so many trees down.

All the blues were in marvelous shape.

National was just big, natural bumps, a lot of fun. Several short trail connectors with only a couple track on them.

If there had been more people skiing (there were empty quad chairs all day), the trails would have been beat down, but they weren't.

KevinF

I was at Stowe as well on Saturday... yeah, I was wondering where everybody was as well. Sunday was pretty empty as well. I guessed that either the NFL playoff games or the cold kept people away.

There was a microburst last summer that took out dozens of acres in a favorite tree skiing area, Tres Amigos. It is simply unskiable with so many trees down.

Tres Amigos? Tres Amigos are the woods on skiers left of Hayride as it rolls over past where Centerline comes in. The microburst damage is Goat Woods.

I concur with everything you said regarding conditions though.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I was going to say, I thought the damage was Goat Woods.

Jay was completely dead on Sunday. Maybe the lack of any recent snow to the south + cold last week + football is the recipe for a crowd free weekend.