• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Scar Ridge Nightmare Bushwhack (NH) 2-4-07

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
Date(s) Hiked: 2-4-07

Trails(s) Hiked: Bushwhack

Total Distance: ~7.2

Difficulty: Highest Degree of difficulty

Conditions: Cold, very cold. Deep snow, Thick nasty horrid spruce.

Special Required Equipment: Snowshoes were good.

Trip Report:

Ah Scar Ridge, one of the worst bushwhacks on the NEHH list (at least.. that’s the word on the street). Ya it was pretty bad, but Owl’s head was worse :) I snowshoed the entire hike except about .25 miles of the sag between the false summit and true summit simply because the spruce was so damned thick that I couldn’t go on with them. It’s a shame cause I postholed bad in that section and got my only bruises from the trip there too.

Anyways, this was a real tough one. Took almost 8 hours to do 7.2 miles. This was good time BTW but let me qualify that by saying the reason I did it in 8 hours and not 10 is cause I encountered some other hiker tracks half way up and I followed them up. That sped me up A LOT and saved a lot of time.

The spruce in the col, and around 2400-2600 was by far the worst!

BTW I took the route following the ridge up from Big Rock on the Kanc!

For a much better report and some pics check out my main report here: http://www.hoosactunnel.net/nonhoosac/NH/ScarRidge070204/

P2040070_t.jpg

walkerd2

Nice Trip Report

Where did you get your information on the bushwack route? I'm about to start the NEHH and any info on routes to the peaks would be helpful.

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
I got the route from discussions with some other NEHHers, However if you want a website that is a veritable cheat sheet for the NEHH go to rbhayes.net Bob & Geri have trip reports from most of their NEHH trips, including most of all trail maps/bushwhack routes collected from GPS.

Also, if you are pursuing the NEHH check out my map here: http://hoosactunnel.net/adventure/ne100map.php it shows all the locations.

FYI there are 2 other approaches common for scar ridge, one is from the Little East Pond vicinity, the other is an approach from Loon. If the ridge from Loon is any indication of how thick and horrific the spruce is from Loon then I might not recommend that particular route! :uzi:

walkerd2

Awesome

Thanks, that site has some great reports on it.

See you out there
Doug