• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where to go on MLK Day?

Bostonian

So I am dying to get out somewhere Monday that is new or I haven't been to in quite a few seasons. My choices are:

1. Ragged - I want to see the HS Quad and of course the sixpack - 5 years+ now since I have been there...

2. Mt. Snow - Haven't been there since I was maybe 9 years old? 30 years ago now...

3. Pico - Haven't been there since I was 13 years old..

I am leaning towards Ragged and since well it's an easy ride up. Although Mt. Snow would be pretty easy too...

Thoughts?

hammer

I think Ragged would be a good choice although I'm not sure if it's that much different from Gunstock (IIRC that's your home mountain).

Never been to Pico but I've heard good things about it.

On that weekend I'd stay away from any area that normally gets crowds.

If we go this weekend we will most likely head to Crotched on Monday. If the HSQ doesn't break down the lines should not be too bad.

dlague

I think Pico and Ragged are you best bets. I have skied both this season and IMO Pico has more to offer. Ragged is struggling to get stuff open. I was at Pico before Christmas and it was great. since then there has been a refreeze and I am not sure what they have open but when we were there most of the trails were open at that time.

IMO Mount Snow will be a mad house.

xwhaler

I was at Ragged this past Sunday. Didn't get to try the new Spear chair as it stopped just after I got there and they had to evac folks down off it. I prefer the terrain over there.
Ragged proper was pretty scraped off and strangely they were not making any snow. I rode up with a passholder who seemed well connected who told me they have run out of water...pond drained for the time being.
Exhibition is still not open....if Spear is open as it is today I'd give Ragged a shot...but if limited to the 6 pack you may be better elsewhere. Just not a ton of terrain available off the 6 pack right now.

I'm looking to go to Black NH this Sunday.

gmcunni

i am going through a similar thought process,

Butternut, Berkshire East or Mt Snow. Possibly Pico if i decide to drive up Sunday night (CSC discount $40 tic on Monday)

dlague

Envious of you who have winter/spring holidays like MLK, Presidents day, Patriots day etc. The company I work for goes from New Years Day to Memorial Day without holidays. If I had that day off more than likely I would be at Cannon.

xwhaler

Envious of you who have winter/spring holidays like MLK, Presidents day, Patriots day etc. The company I work for goes from New Years Day to Memorial Day without holidays. If I had that day off more than likely I would be at Cannon.

+1 I'm in the exact same boat!

hammer

Regarding holidays, I'd rather not have many of them as fixed days...I wouldn't care about working MLK day or President's Day if I could take them as floaters and use them whenever during the season. Having the days fixed just means I'm off when everyone else is...

If Ragged doesn't have Exhibition or any of the blacks from the 6-pack then I'd be reluctant to go there. The place can ski pretty small when there aren't many trails open IMO.

deadheadskier

Staff member
No MLK holiday from my work either. We swap it for the Friday after Thanksgiving. On the one hand, having a four day weekend in November is pretty sweet. On the other, the skiing is usually (pretty much always) MUCH better in mid-January.

I'd go to Mount Snow. Most variety at this time.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
IMO, FWIW
\
- Pico if you want lots of runs. Doesn't get as much snowmaking love.
- Ragged will have lots of rug rats, with a new lift more people will be on the trails faster. Check for accums. They had an inch a few days ago.
- Burke should be great. They got a bunch of snow on Sunday (6-7") and won't have a lot of peeps.
- crotched lots of rug rats, don't expect to ski mach schnell
- Mt Snow - lots of peep volume, good grooming and snowmaking, could wear down fast. I'm sure Herr Doktor will weight in.

Mileage may vary.

skifree

Waterville on mlk day . lapping sunnyside chair.
cannon on sat/sun