• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When to say goodbye

BBMF

I have only owned a few pairs of skis in my life. I am cheap. Frugal. Tighter then a dolphin's rear end if you will...

When is it time to replace your gear?? I have always skied till something broke, delaminated, separated, fell off or otherwise became unusable.

They are older, 2007 and heavily used(abused). What do you fine folks think?? Is that reason for concern?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

dlague

Well you are probably pushing it at this point. The worst that could happen is hav I by them break and then have to use rentals. I would also assume for your safety that it is time. I generally have been replacing my skis every 4-5 years. My last pair are starting to come apart at the tail. More than likely will pop a rivet in and keep them as rock skis. Skis can be purchased for low dollars if you are willing to buy last year's gear providing they changed the model. The toughest part is parting with a ski you like that is for sure.

skiNEwhere

They don't look like they have much life left in them.

But your skis can live happily in retirement if you turn them into shot skis ;)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Dead skis are no fun at all. Bite the bullet. You won't regret it when you get on brand new skis and notice the difference immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

jack97

I have only owned a few pairs of skis in my life. I am cheap. Frugal. Tighter then a dolphin's rear end if you will...

If you're truly a tight wad buy the same ski. you might be able to find the same skis for cheap now. same goes for boots.

thetrailboss

Staff member
If you're truly a tight wad buy the same ski. you might be able to find the same skis for cheap now. same goes for boots.

I doubt that he'd be able to easily find a 2007 ski in good shape today. But he may....

jack97

I doubt that he'd be able to easily find a 2007 ski in good shape today. But he may....

maybe not 2007 but a later year of the same or equivalent model.

btw, I have have three pairs of the same skis :p

BBMF

maybe not 2007 but a later year of the same or equivalent model.

btw, I have have three pairs of the same skis :p

Wanna sell a pair cheap? j/k
Thanks for the responses everyone.. looks like I have to keep an eye out for some demo days

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Wow! Those look pretty shot. As skiNEwhere said - a shotski sounds like a good tribute to the miles on the snow they have obviously earned.

wa-loaf

Where did you store them? I have skis older than that and never had bases crack up like that. Looks like they've been exposed to some extreme temperatures.