• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bromley vs Stratton vs Magic ... You have to choose

jrmagic

If the beginners can ride the lift Magic would be a good option as the group lesson would be a lot more like a private lesson or at the worst, a lower ratio than the others. Magic at its most crowded on the Saturday on holiday week will still have much shorter lines on average than the other two. If we have good snow and you are tempted by the glades, all the more reason to come to Magic as there are many here that can introduce you to what Magic has to offer. The glades run the gamut from low angle gentle glades right up to some pretty technical terrain and everything in between. If the snow sucks however you would have more options at the other 2.

fluid164

Excellent feedback folks! I am thinking Bromley for kids camp and one extra day thinking they will enjoy a day there after camp... So probably Tuesday-Weds, then Thursday at Magic... If it snows, otherwise Stratton.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Excellent feedback folks! I am thinking Bromley for kids camp and one extra day thinking they will enjoy a day there after camp... So probably Tuesday-Weds, then Thursday at Magic... If it snows, otherwise Stratton.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app
I'm sure you are making the right choice with 2 days at Bromley. I would check the snow conditions for Magic, because I am not sure what the younger, less skilled skiers would do be able to do with it. Don't get me wrong: Magic is wonderful - but they don't make the snow nor doing they have the grooming capability of the other nearby areas. But if you decide against Magic, and you really want to try a different area, I would recommend Okemo over Stratton.

x10003q

I could not disagree with this more. If the mountain is open, every run at Magic is over 1600 vertical, with long, winding, classic, new england ski trails of varying characteristics. The other areas in SOVT in my opinion are so homogenous (wide, flat, groomed, short and served by a lift that doesn't go top to bottom -URSA. for example) that they are uninteresting.

Magic, when it has snow this year will have two lifts serving the entire vertical, and also grooming that is on par with Statton. Know how I know? The grooming is done by someone that worked at Stratton (and left of his own accord).

Magis has terrain that cannot be groomed, that is where it differs from the others. Find me someone with balls big enough to groom Witch, Black, Master (;) Magician....

Reality - Magic's vertical is around 1450 and the URSA 6 pack is 1340 and the Snowbowl Quad is 1380.I guess you forgot about the Stratton gondola at 1740. Saying Magic is better because the lifts serve the entire vertical is not really a selling point in this situation.

If there is no snow I would go to Stratton and Bromley.

xwhaler

Reality - Magic's vertical is around 1450 and the URSA 6 pack is 1340 and the Snowbowl Quad is 1380.I guess you forgot about the Stratton gondola at 1740. Saying Magic is better because the lifts serve the entire vertical is not really a selling point in this situation.

If there is no snow I would go to Stratton and Bromley.
Is the vert at Magic not 1700 off the Red Chair? At least that is what they publish....1650 ish on Black?

4aprice

Does Stratton still have a connection with Okemo? I remember one year, staying in that area, getting a Stratton 3-day (decent price) and spending one day at Okemo. Had to be the early 90's.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

JoeB-Z

I could not disagree with this more. If the mountain is open, every run at Magic is over 1600 vertical, with long, winding, classic, new england ski trails of varying characteristics. The other areas in SOVT in my opinion are so homogenous (wide, flat, groomed, short and served by a lift that doesn't go top to bottom -URSA. for example) that they are uninteresting.

Magic, when it has snow this year will have two lifts serving the entire vertical, and also grooming that is on par with Statton. Know how I know? The grooming is done by someone that worked at Stratton (and left of his own accord).

Magis has terrain that cannot be groomed, that is where it differs from the others. Find me someone with balls big enough to groom Witch, Black, Master (;) Magician....

Last year they did make snow on and groom Talisman. While a notch down from the trails listed above, it is a great trail with nice steep pitch right down the fall line. Supposedly they now have the capability (but perhaps not the will) to make snow on Sorcerer. Skiing can really be quite good at Magic without fresh snow. This past Saturday was fairly poor and I almost passed on Sunday. Lo and behold it was quite decent on Sunday. The Sunday before there was an inversion and everything softened up a bit. Quite nice. My attitude is I ski what is there.

RustyGroomer

Last year they did make snow on and groom Talisman. While a notch down from the trails listed above, it is a great trail with nice steep pitch right down the fall line. Supposedly they now have the capability (but perhaps not the will) to make snow on Sorcerer. Skiing can really be quite good at Magic without fresh snow. This past Saturday was fairly poor and I almost passed on Sunday. Lo and behold it was quite decent on Sunday. The Sunday before there was an inversion and everything softened up a bit. Quite nice. My attitude is I ski what is there.
This guy gets it. Only problem is MMP cannot handle Talisman. He's really just not that good.

MMP

Broke my shoulder on Hocus Pocus, nothing else to see here.

Last year they groomed Sorcerer. In all my years at Magic I don't recall that ever happening.