• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Monday January 19th Something is brewing in New England

bdfreetuna

Gonna go to Mount Snow today. Seems like they got at least a few inches overall. Doesn't look like any trail closings overnight, should be soft snow. Gonna put on some wax. Let y'all know what the damage was later on today.

Kleetus

Killington is reporting 14, Sugarbush is reporting 12 at the top. Have to see if anyone makes a trek to either place and find out if it is legit or not...

yeggous

I'm at Cannon today. I'd estimate 5" up top. The Front 5 are in great shape. Cover in the woods is not nearly as deep as it is at Wildcat. Most of the glades are still out of play.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Puck it

I'm at Cannon today. I'd estimate 5" up top. The Front 5 are in great shape. Cover in the woods is not nearly as deep as it is at Wildcat. Most of the glades are still out of play.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
They only take the right ski to ski them.

drjeff

Gonna go to Mount Snow today. Seems like they got at least a few inches overall. Doesn't look like any trail closings overnight, should be soft snow. Gonna put on some wax. Let y'all know what the damage was later on today.

I called it 6" up near the summit of medium density powder down to about an inch if slushy, wet powder at the base - once the lifts got deiced and spinning it was a good day!

I managed either untracked or just lightly tracked runs for 11 of the 18 runs I took this morning! Way better than I was expecting based on the weather yesterday with no real damage and even a bit of a net gain on the upper say 2/3rds of the mountain!

Cannonball

1/18 Bretton Woods. 42f and hard rain in the afternoon. Made the packed surfaces very slick. Not to mention miserably wet.

1/18-19 Lincoln, NH (Loon). I didn't actually go up Loon so maybe elevation helped. But in Lincoln it rained all night. No snow accumulation at all. Significant icing in the evening of 1/18 with treacherous driving and walking conditions. 1/19 hasn't been any better with light to heavy rain pretty much all day making the snowpack soaked and the roads slick.

1/19 Cannon. They reported 6-8" up top and 2-3" down low. I'd say it was more like 4-5" top to bottom. First tracks were light(ish) and sweet. A cool fog came in by 9am which formed a challenging crust and heaviness. The chowder stayed decent with good bumps forming on Avalanche and fresh lines fairly available. I stayed out of the woods due to multiple injuries from earlier in the weekend, so no update there.

bdfreetuna

I called it 6" up near the summit of medium density powder down to about an inch if slushy, wet powder at the base - once the lifts got deiced and spinning it was a good day!

I managed either untracked or just lightly tracked runs for 11 of the 18 runs I took this morning! Way better than I was expecting based on the weather yesterday with no real damage and even a bit of a net gain on the upper say 2/3rds of the mountain!

It was definitely a net gain , after skiing there today (I think you already saw my TR)... although probably a modest net gain at least it's safe to say just about all of VT escaped any damage.

lstone84

Reports are totally legit. ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1421761107.486175.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1421761124.401206.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1421761219.775198.jpg

2 untracked runs down expo at Jay then to the woods for fresh tracks the entire day. Best day of the year - 28" now in the past week at Jay. It was deep in the woods.

I was staying a few miles away in Montgomery VT, well below base elevation. During the drive up it was raining very hard and snowing at the higher elevations. At about 8PM he snow levels dropped and it was nuking in Montgomery, continued through the night. Snowed all day yesterday while I was there 4-5" and then another 4-5 last night. Backcountry VT will be amazing today.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

nanjil

Was there (Sr) .left before the rain. Sadly anticipating the damage. In the mean time the new glade Hollywood next to agony is something, has tight pines, steeps, liberal dose of obstacles and finishes of with he'll of a ride in a narrow chute

Rowsdower

Reports are totally legit. View attachment 15054View attachment 15055View attachment 15056

2 untracked runs down expo at Jay then to the woods for fresh tracks the entire day. Best day of the year - 28" now in the past week at Jay. It was deep in the woods.

I was staying a few miles away in Montgomery VT, well below base elevation. During the drive up it was raining very hard and snowing at the higher elevations. At about 8PM he snow levels dropped and it was nuking in Montgomery, continued through the night. Snowed all day yesterday while I was there 4-5" and then another 4-5 last night. Backcountry VT will be amazing today.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Awesome dude! I'm glad some places got something out of that storm. I was starting to worry we'd never get snow. I can't take advantage of it but at least somebody is having a good time. Gonna have to plan a trip to No. VT next year.