• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Recommendations for 2 day New England ski trip

hammer

In lieu of a bigger vacation this year, we are looking into a ski trip over a few days during my son's college spring break in March.

My wife and I are intermediates, she's a bit cautious but can handle any blue and some easy blacks. I'm OK with anything groomed up to steeper blacks but struggle off the groomed. Son is an advanced intermediate (doesn't get out but once a year) and can handle quite a bit once he gets his ski legs back.

We just came back from Killington and enjoyed it, but we'd like to hit someplace new. Would like a place big enough to get 2 good days of skiing in without feeling like we are just lapping trails. Lodging should be decent (we are considering VRBO if we can get just 3 nights).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

skiMEbike

In lieu of a bigger vacation this year, we are looking into a ski trip over a few days during my son's college spring break in March.

My wife and I are intermediates, she's a bit cautious but can handle any blue and some easy blacks. I'm OK with anything groomed up to steeper blacks but struggle off the groomed. Son is an advanced intermediate (doesn't get out but once a year) and can handle quite a bit once he gets his ski legs back.

We just came back from Killington and enjoyed it, but we'd like to hit someplace new. Would like a place big enough to get 2 good days of skiing in without feeling like we are just lapping trails. Lodging should be decent (we are considering VRBO if we can get just 3 nights).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If groomers are your thing....Sunday River. Big enough to keep you entertained....Lifts can handle the crowds, and snow conditions are typically good no matter what the weather or recent snow fall.

Dmiller27

Check into Sugarloaf. Great Ski on Ski off options, and for two days I think you won't feel like you are lapping the same trails. Last few times I was there I felt like I didn't have enough time to hit it all.

skiNEwhere

Mt. Snow sounds almost tailor made for what you're looking for. Should keep you entertained for 2 days, lots of blues, and relatively close.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I would say either Sunday River or Sugarloaf. I would say one or the other. In 2007 I did a joint trip--two days at Sunday River, one day at Sugarloaf. Stayed at Sunday River. The drive to Sugarloaf was about 1:45 IIRC. Relatively easy, but a lot of driving all the same.

Sugarloaf is great for steeper terrain. Sunday River has more cruisers and low intermediate stuff. Sugarloaf is more remote and away from the hustle and bustle while Sunday River has a decent sized town (Bethel) with some good restaurants and other options.

Personally if it was me I'd do Sugarloaf. My wife skied there as a kid so it has extra-special meaning, but it is a huge mountain that feels like the west coast more than the east coast.

dlague

I think Sunday River is spot on! Other considerations - Jay Peak, Stowe, or even a general area where there are multiple mountains like Wildcat/Attitash or Bretton Woods/Cranmore.

Bretton Woods/Cranmore would be a good combo for you!

trackbiker

You might want to look at Okemo. Lots of different trail pods, slope side lodging, and a blue cruiser paradise.

skifree

mad river valley
vrbo has some nice rentals in the valley and the area is gorgeous.
Sugarbush will keep you entertained for a few days.
you have stowe up the street a piece and mad river glen if you get really adventurous.

hammer

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Should have narrowed the field by saying that we've also skied at BW and Okemo and places around North Conway NH and we don't see the need to go back to either for a few days.

Might check out the available lodging in Bethel although the idea of going further north to Sugarloaf has some appeal as well.

gmcunni

sugarbush would be my vote. more than enough terrain for 2 days and if you go long with 3 you can hit MRG.

xwhaler

If you do end up at Sugarloaf a day at Saddleback should be considered. Or the entire trip at SBack. Really nice cruisers and steep groomers for you. Ski and Stay slopeside midweek for $69 pp

I'd argue the best views of any ski area in New England as well

thetrailboss

Staff member
sugarbush would be my vote. more than enough terrain for 2 days and if you go long with 3 you can hit MRG.

I would normally say Sugarbush, but given their lift and snowmaking issues I am hesitant to recommend them.

WWF-VT

I would normally say Sugarbush, but given their lift and snowmaking issues I am hesitant to recommend them.

This week the mountain is almost 100% open, there has been full initial coverage on all of the snowmaking trails and additional resurfacing on many snowmaking trails. There have been no significant lift issues once the Northridge work was completed by Doppelmayer. I have skied 24 days so far this year and have a more informed opinion than just reading forum posts from Utah.

canobie#1

SUGARBUSH.

Other than Killington it's the best big mountain skiing around. Easily my second favorite in NE. Sugarbush is just the best.

Savemeasammy

If you are making a weekend of it, I think Sugarloaf is a good call because it's really outside of a comfortable day-trip range. You will find plenty of variety there for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puck it

Lake Placid is probably just as far as Sugarloaf. Much more to do in town too. Whiteface is the only mtn. but it is not too shabby.