• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Anatomy of Stowe

deadheadskier

Staff member
Oh sure Jay, move out West and now spill all the beans on Stowe.

(not that any of this skiing is a secret to anyone)

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Damn it, I was trying to keep Hell Brook all to myself!

I do hope some skier with dreams of stardom doesn't get overly ambitious and try to find it and ski it after reading the article.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The Rock Garden suggestion is actually a little irresponsible. If you don't know what you're doing you can end up standing on top of those 100+ foot cliffs above the gondola. Its a little bit deceiving how far you need to cut back beyond the lip and along the ridge to ski it.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Oh sure Jay, move out West and now spill all the beans on Stowe.

(not that any of this skiing is a secret to anyone)

So that guy used to ski Stowe, moved out west and posted that? If so I call lame.

Even if the stuff is obvious to most here, that's bound to bring some people out there who shouldn't be there.

dlague

The Rock Garden suggestion is actually a little irresponsible. If you don't know what you're doing you can end up standing on top of those 100+ foot cliffs above the gondola. Its a little bit deceiving how far you need to cut back beyond the lip and along the ridge to ski it.

That is the only thing that freaks me out when skiing woods I do not know something like that! Better to go with someone you know and knows you too!

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
That is the only thing that freaks me out when skiing woods I do not know something like that! Better to go with someone you know and knows you too!

There are VERY few places in New England where skiing woods will put you in a spot like that. And above the cliffs on Mansfield isn't really woods IMHO.
The notch on the other hand you can get in trouble pretty quick.

MadMadWorld

There are VERY few places in New England where skiing woods will put you in a spot like that. And above the cliffs on Mansfield isn't really woods IMHO.
The notch on the other hand you can get in trouble pretty quick.

Yup! I've gotten into a "no way out" situation before where chute I was skiing got narrower and narrower until I came to an ice bulge. Not fun

deadheadskier

Staff member
So that guy used to ski Stowe, moved out west and posted that? If so I call lame.

Even if the stuff is obvious to most here, that's bound to bring some people out there who shouldn't be there.

Like I said, its a little irresponsible to mention Rock Garden. Then again I think I learned about it in person from Jay back in the day when I was first getting to know the mountain.

He was a friend of my roommate and the couple of times I hung out with him, I got the impression he didn't really believe in stashes and thought the mountain was for all. He gave me several pointers on places to ski off map. Nice guy and amazing skier. You won't find anyone that loves Mansfield more than him.

Ski Till I Die

Website
www.skitillidie.com
Like I said, its a little irresponsible to mention Rock Garden. Then again I think I learned about it in person from Jay back in the day when I was first getting to know the mountain.

He was a friend of my roommate and the couple of times I hung out with him, I got the impression he didn't really believe in stashes and thought the mountain was for all. He gave me several pointers on places to ski off map. Nice guy and amazing skier. You won't find anyone that loves Mansfield more than him.

Anyone want to join me in 2 weeks?? This sounds delicious

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com

My comment was a little flip. The last time I was at Stowe (2004?) I wasn't yet a tree skier. So that map is likely to get ME in trouble as anyone. :lol:

bdfreetuna

I don't believe in stashes either. Nice map. People are gonna see stuff beyond lifts and hike over, might as well give 'em some friendly advice. There's a fine line between being conscious of people's safety and being elitist. Perhaps a few more detailed warnings regarding particular areas are in order.

603Skier

I absolutely agree with alot more warnings along with these descriptions.
Man ol man, I don't get to Stowe very often in my life, but when I do half the fun if finding the stashes.

If I posted something like this my friends would hand my @$$ to the coyotes that roam that area often.

k123

Today was a good day to know your anatomy...of stowe that is