• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Belleayre 1-19-15 MLK Day

legalskier

Conditions: powder
Temp on arrival: 27F

Arrived at Overlook Lodge at 9:30 under cold gray skies that snowed on and off all day. I heard that the snow had started about 2 p.m. the day prior after the rain stopped, providing light ankle-deep powder, even deeper in wind blown areas up top. Although the crowds weren’t sparse, I never waited on a line all day. Fresh tracks could be found all morning long. Belle is about 90% open, more soon as the guns were blasting on Deer Run. Good sized bumps had formed on Wanatuska, Winisook, Onteora, Yahoo and Seneca, with whales on Peekamoose. The big terrain park Area 51 was open. The glades were officially closed, but that didn’t stop some people from enjoying them. After a quick lunch of piping hot chowder by the fireplace, I found the more trafficked runs getting scraped in the center, which pushed even deeper snow on the trail edges where some of us like to gravitate. All in all, a surprisingly fine day to close out the holiday weekend.

attachment.php

Wanatuska

attachment.php

Algonquin

attachment.php

Winisook

attachment.php

Terrain park entrance

attachment.php

Dot Nebel

Attachments

• 1-19-15 Wana.jpg
    1-19-15 Wana.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 1-19 Algonquin.jpg
    1-19 Algonquin.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 1-19 Winisook.jpg
    1-19 Winisook.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 1-19 area 51.jpg
    1-19 area 51.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 90
  • 1-19 Dot N.jpg
    1-19 Dot N.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

legalskier

Wow I didn't know you got snow out there. Looks like fun soft snow

Apparently the temps dropped enough on Sunday afternoon to change over to snow, which was lighter than what the Cats usually get. Totally unexpected, a real nice bonus.