• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Have any of you guys NEVER skied outside of the Northeast?

Have you skied outside of the northeast

• Yes

Votes: 51 73.9%
  • No

Votes: 18 26.1%

• Total voters

Riverskier

One day at Big Bear back in 1998, but that is it for skiing out West. Reasons: Time, money, and friends willing to go. I WILL ski out west some day but pretty happy with the skiing right here in the Maine.

SkiingInABlueDream

I'll take mashed potatoes over rain & ice anyday. I never understood how anyone can complain about any fresh snow being "too heavy". I'll take 6 inches of "Sierra cement" or wind-compressed fresh over 6 inches of "blower" anyday.
Basically unless you've got at least 2-3 feet I think "blower" is overrated.

SkiFanE

I'll take mashed potatoes over rain & ice anyday. I never understood how anyone can complain about any fresh snow being "too heavy". I'll take 6 inches of "Sierra cement" or wind-compressed fresh over 6 inches of "blower" anyday.

There is absolutely nothing better than a 50* April day, with bluebird skies and a bunch of mashed potato bumps. Heaven. Can't imagine being any happier that, even with 2' of blower pow. (May 3, last year on SuperStar for example :) )

Smellytele

6" of sierra is doable 14" is not

abc

There is also an opportunity cost that needs to be factored in. For example, my wife and I are going to Italy this fall. I can ski at home. But I can't experience Italy at home. If we spent our vacation dollars doing something we could do at home, we would forgo experiences that can only be had elsewhere.
I don't understand your problem.

travelling for skiing isn't travelling? You get to "experience" the local culture while you are there.

Why can't you go to Italy in the winter and get both in 1 trip???

emmaurice2

I have been to Utah, Colorado, Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming...in the off season. For one reason or another winter trips out West have never materialized. My trip to California in 1999 was supposed to include three days of skiing but a work crisis (that turned out to not be a crisis at all) cut my vacation short. One day it will happen. We're thinking of a westward move in the next few years, so maybe my future will have lots of non-NE skiing.

VTKilarney

I don't understand your problem.
Read the last sentence again. If I'm skiing I'm not looking at ancient ruins, touring sites of historical battles, etc.

I've skied many times in Europe. I've had a blast. But now there are other things that I want to focus on when I am in Europe. Things that I can't ever do at home.

You left out the part where I said that it is purely subjective. In light of that, I don't know how you get off saying I have a "problem". Of the two of us, I'm the one who respected the reality that different people will have different goals and outlooks. If my "problem" was being non-judgmental, consider me happy to have that "problem".

Last edited:

NotEasyBeingGreen

Never skied outside New England. Happy to do so if the opportunity presents, but I like having all my own gear handy and don't like the idea of wasting two ski days on planes. Deadhead has it right in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Wavewheeler

Plans are in the making..

I skied once in Arizona (Flagstaff) back in 1986. It was a beautiful bluebird day and temps were warm..I was skiing without a jacket. Conditions were great.

I haven't been out west since in the winter (went once to Colorado in August, 1992). Raising a family, running a business, lack of $$ and time have prevented my heading west to ski. But both my kids are graduating in 2016 and my plans are to MOVE there sometime next year. I might even work at a ski resort...imagine that! Can't wait. I will have to buy powder skis. Heh.:thumbup::daffy:

Can't wait to move west for a lot of reasons. Colorado, Utah, Idaho are all on my list of places to move to.

abc

Read the last sentence again. If I'm skiing I'm not looking at ancient ruins, touring sites of historical battles, etc.

I've skied many times in Europe. I've had a blast. But now there are other things that I want to focus on when I am in Europe. Things that I can't ever do at home.

You left out the part where I said that it is purely subjective. In light of that, I don't know how you get off saying I have a "problem". Of the two of us, I'm the one who respected the reality that different people will have different goals and outlooks. If my "problem" was being non-judgmental, consider me happy to have that "problem".

Touche? ;)

Moreover, you CAN look at historic battle sites while skiing. I did just that in the Dolomites a few years back.

but hey, if "opportunity cost " isn't a "problem" for you, that's fine.

Last edited:

jimk

Everybody's right in this thread and skiing with friends makes any terrain and conditions fun.
I've skied in the mid-Atlantic for nearly 50 years and I know all about making the best out of what you've got, in a skiing sense. For the first 20 of those years I skied beyond my local area only a handful of times and that was to the magnificent slopes of New England! Then I began doing annual ski vacations farther out, but always continuing with the bulk of my ski days in the local area. Since January 2008 I calculate that I have skied 50 different ski areas around North America. I suppose I have a pretty bad case of the snow is always whiter syndrome, but yet I still relished skiing my local bump this January. It's all good. I always enjoy being around those who enjoy what they have, they exhibit an admirable form of grace.

nanjil

hahaha, sorry for the confusion. I was just curious to hear from people who have never made it out of the Northeast.

I haven't skied outside of the NOrtheast now in almost a decade. It is long, long overdue.

i have not skied northeast at all. for some reason it never works out. Even though I was going to silicon valley on a monthly basis , I never found time to ski tahoe