• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Have any of you guys NEVER skied outside of the Northeast?

Have you skied outside of the northeast

• Yes

Votes: 51 73.9%
  • No

Votes: 18 26.1%

• Total voters

xwhaler

Yes. Have been to Utah (Alta/Snowbird), Whistler, and Mt Hood Meadows
Really want to get back but it is tough now with a small family----I don't see the value in hauling my son out there and spending all the $ until we can ski everything together as a family. Realistically probably not for another 8-10 yrs
A guys only trip is on my wish list but hasn't happened yet.

Smellytele

Yes. Have been to Utah (Alta/Snowbird), Whistler, and Mt Hood Meadows
Really want to get back but it is tough now with a small family----I don't see the value in hauling my son out there and spending all the $ until we can ski everything together as a family. Realistically probably not for another 8-10 yrs
A guys only trip is on my wish list but hasn't happened yet.

The question was...
[h=2]Have any of you guys NEVER skied outside of the Northeast? [/h]

xwhaler

The question was...
Have any of you guys NEVER skied outside of the Northeast?
Whoops! Oh well...perhaps my reasons/challenges for not having been out West recently (last trip was 2009) applies to some who have never been.

bdfreetuna

I've only skied outside the NE on one vacation to Banff area.

tbh I wouldn't be upset if I never skied outside the Northeast again. I have a long way to go before I know all the backcountry around here, and there's plenty of areas (usually off the map) that test my limits. Tight trees are my thing, and scratchy surfaces in the woods just makes it more of an adventure.

I have no plans to go west to ski any time soon but I have plenty of plans to further explore more areas in the NE.

edit: Actually I want to go to some places in Quebec... that doesn't really count

dlague

I have skied in Germany and Austria as well as in Southern California, going to Banff this March.

skiMEbike

The question was...
[h=2]Have any of you guys NEVER skied outside of the Northeast? [/h]

Oh Oh...The double negative, however the poll question is worded differently than the subject. I am confused I want to answer "I don't know"

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
hahaha, sorry for the confusion. I was just curious to hear from people who have never made it out of the Northeast.

I haven't skied outside of the NOrtheast now in almost a decade. It is long, long overdue.

dlague

hahaha, sorry for the confusion. I was just curious to hear from people who have never made it out of the Northeast.

I haven't skied outside of the Northeast now in almost a decade. It is long, long overdue.

It has been a long time for me as well. Not like I frequent other ski areas outside of Northeast. For us it is an issue of affordability when we had four kids, my wife and I and a dog to kennel. Down to one kid at home so he is the lucky one going to Banff with us.

SkiFanE

Went to Tahoe about 20 years ago (pre-kids). Didn't have conditions any different than NE then haha. So really not much different (but Heavenly was awesome).

No plans for a long time. Having a ski house (and lake house) and passes for family takes up about our entire ski budget. And our kids are not dying to go - our family vacations will not be at a western ski area, no matter how much I wish it. I love skiing, in the NE...so I'm not moaning about the horror of my situation. I feel very fortunate I get about 60 days/year with all I've got going on in my life - it's a miracle!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Went to Tahoe about 20 years ago (pre-kids). Didn't have conditions any different than NE then haha. So really not much different (but Heavenly was awesome).

No plans for a long time. Having a ski house (and lake house) and passes for family takes up about our entire ski budget. And our kids are not dying to go - our family vacations will not be at a western ski area, no matter how much I wish it. I love skiing, in the NE...so I'm not moaning about the horror of my situation. I feel very fortunate I get about 60 days/year with all I've got going on in my life - it's a miracle!

I would trade a ski house near a New England ski area I loved over a lifetime's worth of trips out west and I've skied plenty out west.

SkiFanE

I would trade a ski house near a New England ski area I loved over a lifetime's worth of trips out west and I've skied plenty out west.
Yup...choices. We're happy. Makes it easier when I really have no clue what I'm missing lol. Powder is weird...not sure I'd enjoy it much. Although I insta-drool when I see MaryJane bump pics.

dmw

Never been out west. That will change 2 weeks from today!

fahz

I haven't skied outside of the Northeast. My kids ski but not my wife. Taking a vacation out west to a cold destination would be fun but I just don't see it happening in the near future

steamboat1

Outside NE yes. Never been to Europe. That's where I'd like to go. My parents spent a month in Europe for 28 consecutive years. I've seen plenty of pictures (3-D stereo) & heard plenty of stories. Just can't see myself doing it solo since my wife doesn't ski. Plus I don't speak the language. At least my father spoke broken German.

SkiingInABlueDream

I can't imagine never going back to Jackson, Snowbird, Taos or interior BC, or never getting out to Tahoe, just to name some of my favorites. I guess if I lived Northern VT minutes away from 'Bush, Stowe or Jay and was able to ski any day I wanted, then I'd be less motivated to go west, but between the thaw-freeze cycles we have here plus 2-3 hour road trips required to day trip from S. NE, I find a week+ "out west" is usually more rewarding overall.
I give props to anyone who's able to pull the trigger whenever storms hit and know where to go to get the best of it.

ironhippy

until this december I had never been outside of the Northeast (provided we're considering Quebec/New Brunswick the north east)

I only made it to Colorado because my work sent me to Austin Texas for a week, so I stopped in Denver on the way back.

Now that I've been, all I want to do is go back.

edit: the reason WHY I never made it out west is pretty simple, it's damn expensive to travel there for skiing. If money wasn't a concern, I would probably be in BC all winter long.