• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Guess a ski area in three clues

deadheadskier

Staff member
I am amused at how you argued with yourself - and lost the argument!

Reread what I wrote. I certainly found a unique quality to the Skyeship however, I disagreed with your assertion that the Skyeship is the main lift at K. The K1 also has a unique quality however, that's not the lift you considered the main lift at K.

xlr8r

I'm surprised no one has got it yet.

5th clue:

My summit is just shy.

xlr8r

Its just a game, no one has been able to give a convincing answer for the has glades and also woods clue, or the new 5th clue. I didn't want this to be too easy or obvious.

xlr8r

Pico is correct. Finally, well done Bluebird!

1. The glades at Pico are open trails with tree islands, where the woods trails are what most other mountains call glades. The prime example being there is both a Birch Glade and a Birch Woods at Pico
2. Almost all trails off the outpost chair have a wild west theme to their name, and even the trails off the Golden Express have a gold mining theme to their names as well.
3. Summit Express is the only Yan teardrop chair in New England, and also the only Yan teardrop chair modified by Poma. All the other Yan detaches in New England have pentagon shaped chairs and Poma only modified the Yans in New England.
4. There used to be two double chairs that went up Pike and the Birch Glade double. Now all that's left is the Outpost and Bonanza doubles.
5. The summit elevation is 3967' just shy of the 4000' mark.

bluebird

Probably an easy one:
1. Was in operation for over 50 years.
2. 3 lifts but never a chair
3. There was "history" here

MadMadWorld

I have a feeling this one may be ambiguous. While xlr8r rejected MRG, even his 4th clue still fits MRG.
And Canyon skis a lot like a western area.

On the other hand, Killington also fits if you count the Skyeship as one of a kind and it too has two remaining double chairs!

I think Jay Peak would fit the original clues, but I think Jay only has one double remaining.

MRG has 3 triples not 2.

steamboat1

3. Summit Express is the only Yan teardrop chair in New England, and also the only Yan teardrop chair modified by Poma. All the other Yan detaches in New England have pentagon shaped chairs and Poma only modified the Yans in New England.
I'll sound the buzzer on that one. Aside from the summit chair at Pico both the Golden Express at Pico & Snowshed quad at Killington are Yan teardrop chairs modified by Poma.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Hard to imagine a ski area closing after 50 years. Hogback?
That would have been my guess, too. But Hogback's years were 1946 to 1986 - only 40 years. The only area that comes to mind that went out of business after 50 or more years is Temple Mt., NH (1937-2001), but they had chairlifts when they closed.

Now Adirondack Ski Center (aka Alpine Meadows), NY had the right number of lifts but only 47 years of operations.

therobertcollins

Cochrans? there are 3 surface lifts, It's been in operation for 50+ years, and the Cochran family have won countless olympic medals.

xlr8r

I'll sound the buzzer on that one. Aside from the summit chair at Pico both the Golden Express at Pico & Snowshed quad at Killington are Yan teardrop chairs modified by Poma.

No, the Golden and Snowshed express lifts have different chairs than the Pico Summit express. The Golden, Snowshed, Superstar, Mount Snow Yankee Clipper, and Sunday River Barker Yan detachables were all installed in 1987 with chairs that kind of look pentagon shaped. Pico Summit express was installed in 1988, with chairs shaped like tear drops.