• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/26 Manitoba Mauler

deadheadskier

Staff member
we're a bunch of pussies here. i suspect a state of emergency will be declared for tuesday, along with a travel ban of some sort.

i think madroch got stuck at sundown last year when a travel ban was implemented AFTER he got there.. poor guy.

Steep fines for being on the road?

bheemsoth

I'd hope any ban will be lifted early in the day on Wednesday. I'm currently looking for options for Wednesday after work. I live in Cromwell actually, and Powder Ridge is just a couple of miles south of here. I didn't live around here before it closed, so I have no idea if it is even worth a damn on a powder day.

bvibert

Staff member

If we get as much snow as it looks like I wouldn't be surprised if they 'shut down' the state. I'm not sure if they'll fine you for being out though. If they do close the state then businesses (like Sundown) aren't supposed to be open. They did manage to spin the lifts after a delayed opening the last time though. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Give me a call or shoot me a text on Tuesday, I should have a good idea of what's up for Tuesday night.

Tin

WOW....50".

Can't wait to see more.

1zld7qe.gif

xwhaler

Which way are the winds coming from? A concern of mine is lifts closing due to the high winds. As I try and map out where to go Wed I'm looking at places where the lifts are not as prone to closure.
High speed quads seem most vulnerable---Ragged was my top choice but having 2 hsq's concerns me.

Tin

Which way are the winds coming from? A concern of mine is lifts closing due to the high winds. As I try and map out where to go Wed I'm looking at places where the lifts are not as prone to closure.
High speed quads seem most vulnerable---Ragged was my top choice but having 2 hsq's concerns me.

North-Northeast, probably touching 30mph. I'd be more concerned with power issues.

dlague

If we get as much snow as it looks like I wouldn't be surprised if they 'shut down' the state. I'm not sure if they'll fine you for being out though. If they do close the state then businesses (like Sundown) aren't supposed to be open. They did manage to spin the lifts after a delayed opening the last time though. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Give me a call or shoot me a text on Tuesday, I should have a good idea of what's up for Tuesday night.

Gunstock looks like they will be shutting down tomorrow. They have not pulled the trigger on that decision yet. To bad if they do - was hoping to to two for Tuesdays night skiing! Guess they have to be safe!

xwhaler

Gunstock looks like they will be shutting down tomorrow. They have not pulled the trigger on that decision yet. To bad if they do - was hoping to to two for Tuesdays night skiing! Guess they have to be safe!

Ugh.....was hoping to go there too tomorrow night. I guess I will instead head to Pats and hope they don't close.

BenedictGomez

The NAM often overdoes snow totals, but 4 feet of snow in west-central Long Island? The chaos that would cause is unfathomable. Oh mI Gawd!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
The NAM often overdoes snow totals, but 4 feet of snow in west-central Long Island? The chaos that would cause is unfathomable. Oh mI Gawd!
But it would be rather entertaining. There was psych analysis about why people get so enthralled with viewing disasters. The conclusion reached was that people like watching others suffer. No joke. Shame on me.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Here in Massholia the governor declared a several hundred dollar fine for being on the road during a particular storm. Problem was, the police were given no guidance on how and when to enforce it. So it was toothless. Frankly, there aren't too many people who would be out anyways. For those that are, I'd give the snowplows the permission to plow these cars into a ditch ;)

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I'm excited for snow around here. Love these big storms. Wife is unfortunately flying out on Thursday so I don't tihnk I will get to take advantage of i though :(

I'm hoping this gives Sugarloaf a nice topping.

mlctvt

I'd hope any ban will be lifted early in the day on Wednesday. I'm currently looking for options for Wednesday after work. I live in Cromwell actually, and Powder Ridge is just a couple of miles south of here. I didn't live around here before it closed, so I have no idea if it is even worth a damn on a powder day.

I haven't skied there since 1983 but I'd say it's not worth it. It is so flat that if we have 18"+ you probably couldn't even move in it, seriously. Drive north to Berkshire East which is only 1:30 from Cromwell or to Magic or Mount snow at 2:00-2:15

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

12z GFS is still really unimpressed with this storm, only puts down 12" in NYC and 6" in west NJ.

If the Euro is correct with the massive blizzard and the GFS is wrong, I'd say the millions of dollars in taxpayer money recently spent on GFS "upgrade" was wasted, because this would appear to be even worse than the prior GFS should the Euro be correct.

j law

Sadly, it's looking like my only option will be first tracks in Central Park early tomorrow morning.

I sure wish I was scheming a way around work and my wife to get to a ski area that was going to get slammed!!!

Oh well, snow is always more fun than no snow!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

And the NAM flip-flopping runs between "no big deal, just a decent storm" and "someone's getting buried under 4 feet of snow" is also an embarrassment.

BpzZc4C.png

Tin

NAM didn't initialize correctly last night but at least it has been on it since Saturday. GFS is an embarrassment.

It's weird, GFS and CMC had this thing really well early last week then dropped it Thursday, Euro never had it then popped it late last week and went nuts Saturday. This system just shows how flawed our methods are. I will say one thing these models do have it that dry slot in CT. Hope it doesn't shift to the east, I want Wednesday and Thursday off.

gmcunni

CT peeps.....what does it take for the state to shut down the roads? I'll be in Cromwell the next couple nights. I'm hoping to night ski at Sundown on Tuesday. I'll be pissed if I'm not allowed to drive anywhere Tuesday

we're a bunch of pussies here. i suspect a state of emergency will be declared for tuesday, along with a travel ban of some sort.

i think madroch got stuck at sundown last year when a travel ban was implemented AFTER he got there.. poor guy.

don't have details but heard on the radio - statewide travel ban starting tonight @ 9PM until the storm is over.