• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Monday 2/2/2015

BenedictGomez

Rumors of what? Monday has been on the models for a few days now. Joe Bastardi has been tweeting about this one for a while. He even references the JMA! Which is awesome.

Because it's dumb to create a storm thread 6 or 7 days before an event (there was one here that was 10 days this winter), because more often than not there will be no such storm as depicted. That's what the winter forecast thread is for.

As for Bastardi, he does long-range forecasting, that's his deal, and most of the people who follow him understand that.

catsup948

Because it's dumb to create a storm thread 6 or 7 days before an event (there was one here that was 10 days this winter), because more often than not there will be no such storm as depicted. That's what the winter forecast thread is for.

As for Bastardi, he does long-range forecasting, that's his deal, and most of the people who follow him understand that.

I didn't create the storm thread I just commented in it.

dlague

That was the point of the winter forecast thread. To discuss storms and weather patterns. Shit is getting hard to follow when the details are in 3-4 different threads. Call me lazy!

catsup948

Yes. I agree. I'm not supporting creating treads about storm this far out! I commented on what I saw for 2/2/2014 like the thread title says. I agree there are too many threads being created about the same events. There were two blizzard threads.

moresnow

Yes. I agree. I'm not supporting creating treads about storm this far out! I commented on what I saw for 2/2/2014 like the thread title says. I agree there are too many threads being created about the same events. There were two blizzard threads.

It's hard to keep track of all these storms. We should come up with a system to make it easier.

Maybe we could number them.

Or what if we name them? :rolleyes:

Quietman

Or what if we name them? :rolleyes:

My wife watched TWC for the last 2 days, and I barely kept myself from launching the TV out into the "amazing, awesome, life threatening, killer, zombie apocalypse, disaster" blizzard that was J***! As a marketing type person I get the theory, but as a marketing type person who is a weather nut, it makes me want to puke! I understand that frantic hype sells everything, but I don't like that the population in general suckers up to this type of BS!

mriceyman

Leave all talk in main winter thread and 3 days out a seperate thread can e made for individual storms. I havent been here in a couple if days due to plowing but when i cane back i saw 8 different weather threads for one week of winter. Too confusing

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
So, what you're saying is any new thread discussing a weather event more than X days out should just get moved to the general forecast thread?

What's the consensus on days out? 4 days out and longer = no independent thread?

And if there are multiple threads for the same weather event, report the thread as a duplicate and we will combine.

BenedictGomez

My wife watched TWC for the last 2 days, and I barely kept myself from launching the TV out into the "amazing, awesome, life threatening, killer, zombie apocalypse, disaster" blizzard that was J***!

I cant make it 2 minutes. Just awful. And it's become absurdly political since NBC acquired it.

What's the consensus on days out? 4 days out and longer = no independent thread?

I think 4 days out is okay, personally I'd go with 3 days myself. But yeah, this "216 hour GFS model shows a storm thread" should be in the long-rage winter thread (if at all), that's what it's for.

catsup948

I cant make it 2 minutes. Just awful. And it's become absurdly political since NBC acquired it.

I think 4 days out is okay, personally I'd go with 3 days myself. But yeah, this "216 hour GFS model shows a storm thread" should be in the long-rage winter thread (if at all), that's what it's for.

Yeah 3 days is good.

Tin

I make a motion that no AZ member shall post a storm discussion thread more than 4 days in advance.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Just to clarify. When I say four days, that would mean a discussion started today (Thursday) for a storm Monday gets moved. A thread starting tomorrow gets to "live".

Rowsdower

GFS seems to want this happening but the bullseye is south, over Philadelphia.

Can't imagine the models hold though. Accuweather is only giving the storm a 1/3 chance of developing.

BenedictGomez

Just to clarify. When I say four days, that would mean a discussion started today (Thursday) for a storm Monday gets moved. A thread starting tomorrow gets to "live".

Makes sense to me. It will help alleviate the 6 and 8 day threads where there's a blizzard raging one day, and the next day it's a sunny day.

GFS seems to want this happening but the bullseye is south, over Philadelphia.

Can't imagine the models hold though. Accuweather is only giving the storm a 1/3 chance of developing.

Yeah, this storm is a great example. The GFS, Canadian, and Euro runs were all over the place, between "no storm", "okay storm", and "nice storm"

deadheadskier

Staff member
Ok. We'll leave this one. I'll draft a "weather posting guidelines" thread and sticky it later today. Folks will need to participate in the monitoring process and report repeat threads or long range speculations that belong in the general winter forecast thread.

mriceyman

Ok. We'll leave this one. I'll draft a "weather posting guidelines" thread and sticky it later today. Folks will need to participate in the monitoring process and report repeat threads or long range speculations that belong in the general winter forecast thread.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone