• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Monday 2/2/2015

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Ok. We'll leave this one. I'll draft a "weather posting guidelines" thread and sticky it later today. Folks will need to participate in the monitoring process and report repeat threads or long range speculations that belong in the general winter forecast thread.
Take a look at how AmericanWx.com does it. You might consider having thread titles that have a keyword in them. Like ACTIVE STORM or SPECULATION.

BenedictGomez

I like this graphic, puts the track of the L of each model on one map, with the theoretical output of areas that could have snow.

10402017_604072023027075_3439772397925190687_n.png

BenedictGomez

00z Euro (the most north of the models) came a bit more north.

Snow output map. It will be cold, so, figures will probably be a bit better than depicted.

10407373_10153128886661742_5480749185281903418_n.jpg

jrmagic

So, what you're saying is any new thread discussing a weather event more than X days out should just get moved to the general forecast thread?

What's the consensus on days out? 4 days out and longer = no independent thread?

And if there are multiple threads for the same weather event, report the thread as a duplicate and we will combine.

4 or more days out, merge thread and ban the creator lol

jrmagic

My wife watched TWC for the last 2 days, and I barely kept myself from launching the TV out into the "amazing, awesome, life threatening, killer, zombie apocalypse, disaster" blizzard that was J***! As a marketing type person I get the theory, but as a marketing type person who is a weather nut, it makes me want to puke! I understand that frantic hype sells everything, but I don't like that the population in general suckers up to this type of BS!

It kills me that my firm's BCP group used the names in their updates. I don't watch the weather channel. When the naming nonsense started, I had no idea what was going on with the names and was looking all over the NOAA website to find it. freaking aholes

dlague

Yes. I agree. I'm not supporting creating treads about storm this far out! I commented on what I saw for 2/2/2014 like the thread title says. I agree there are too many threads being created about the same events. There were two blizzard threads.

Leave all talk in main winter thread and 3 days out a seperate thread can e made for individual storms. I havent been here in a couple if days due to plowing but when i cane back i saw 8 different weather threads for one week of winter. Too confusing

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

So, what you're saying is any new thread discussing a weather event more than X days out should just get moved to the general forecast thread?

What's the consensus on days out? 4 days out and longer = no independent thread?

And if there are multiple threads for the same weather event, report the thread as a duplicate and we will combine.

Yeah 3 days is good.

I make a motion that no AZ member shall post a storm discussion thread more than 4 days in advance.

Just to clarify. When I say four days, that would mean a discussion started today (Thursday) for a storm Monday gets moved. A thread starting tomorrow gets to "live".

Agreed! Too many weather threads too far out - use Winter Forecast thread and anything greater than 3 days out gets merged into Winter Forecast thread. 3 days out - multiple threads for same storm get merged. Like the sticky idea!

Now those in this discussion will know what to do but all the people currently not following will not. I guess as we merge, they will learn, right?