• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Noon & Jennings Peaks 2/4

MtnMagic

Date Hiked:
February 4, 2007

Trails Hiked:
Drakes Brook & Sandwich Mtn.

Total Distance:
6.0 miles.

Difficulty:
Moderate.

Conditions:
In the single numbers, with winds to 15 mph.

Special Required Equipment:
Full winter gear, snowshoes, crampons.

Trip Report:
Yes, this was another beautiful walk in the mountains. The winter blue sky is just so blue! Diane M., a USPS rural route carrier, arrived at the trailhead at 9 AM, 1 hour before our start time of 10 AM. We met an older couple who headed out for the trails and received some handy trail conditions and conversation. Soon my AMC hiking friend Marianne P., a dental assistant from Derry arrived with her friend Grace, a child care provider from Hookset. Barbara, in medical imaging and King, a painting contractor, both from Enfield pulled in. Then Andy F., a software engineer arrived. The 7 of us plus Ghostdog gathered, geared up, everyone was introduced, prepped, and we hit the trail before 10AM.

Our group decided to hike to Jennings, then on to Noon Peaks, and save Sandwich Dome, which was originally planned for another day hike. It's Superbowl Sunday and most of us wanted to see the game. I had a gigantic hike the day before, in the 14 mile distance, and desired a lighter workout. Diane placed snowshoes on her feet for the very first time and learned how by leading the group up and down the two mountains. Woo Hoo! On the ascent of the Drake's Brook Trail we stopped and chatted to Damon, who was solo hiking. I've hiked with him before on several hikes. I would be thankful for this later. Soon King decided he did not feel right so he and Bara (Barbara) turned and headed back.

When the trail became too slippery and steep I stopped to don my crampons. There aren't inside the spider web on my backpack. Not there? You mean I dropped them somewhere. Yes. I was having trouble getting up and had a steeper trail later. Andy F. to the rescue. He was wearing stabilizers and asked if I would like to use his crampons. You bet! The Black Diamond 10 pointers worked perfectly. Thank you, Andy! We summited Jennings got superb views, took a group shot, and pressed on to Noon Peak. More views, more fellowship. more fun. What astounding views of the mountains from the trails and the summits. Wow! The Sandwich Mtn Trail has several steep areas that are nicer to descent on and the clockwise direction is recommended.

Back at our vehicles, we said our goodbyes to Marianne & Grace, gave hugs, and wished them happy trails. Diane, Andy, and I decided to meet at the Mad River Tavern for some light fare and we had marsala soup and potato skins. We enjoyed our first visit to this delightful restaurant and lounge. The locals were there so it must be a great place to eat. I'm certain we'll return after more area hikes. Another super day to hike and play in the mountains, share views, fellowship and fun!

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
This is a really nice area, and often overlooked due to the lack of 4000 footers (Sandwich misses the cut by about 20 feet). When I did the loop I did it CCW: First noon, then jennings, then Sandwich. Clouds were around 3600' so I didnt get a view from Jennings of sandwich, but the views from noon were excellent in an eerie low cloud cover way. There was one gap sort of in the Weeks/Sandwich vicinity that I could see through down towards Ossippee/chocorua and it was perfectly clear. Made for a very odd sight.

I should have waved, I was on the other side of the Waterville Valley bowl on Scar ridge when you guys were down near Sandwich!

MtnMagic

Closer to 4k' @ 3993'. Great views to see from a different angle if you return on a sunny day!

Oh I forgot to add that the 'pons, found by good ol' Damon, were placed on my windshield waiting my return. Damon later emailed me and told me he found them in the snow and placed them on my car. Thank You Damon!

It was a super weekend to play and hike in the mtns. Last evening was also super, I had dinner w/rockgoddess and 4 others at the Three Tomatoes restaurant in Lebanon. After dinner we attended the Banff Mtn Film Festival at the Opera House. It was awesome!!