• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Berkshire East cancels $15 night because of "rif raff"...

deadheadskier

Staff member
Probably a bunch of people partying a bit too hard. Shawnee Peak in Maine does a Monday Night Madness special for $13. I went once and it was not exactly a "family" environment. Which is totally fine, if that's what you're going for.

skiNEwhere

Berkshire East cancels $15 night because of "rif raff"...

Can you elaborate on what exactly $15 night is? Unlimited drinks?

gmcunni

facebook says
Unfortunately, a few bad eggs have spoiled a good thing for all of us. $15 Thursday Nights are now CANCELLED. We are working on the details of a new family orientated special for Thursday nights. This special will offer the best deal for families and children.
We have worked too hard to create a friendly, safe environment for our guests and staff to have that harmony wrecked by a handful miscreants

bdfreetuna

It was $15 night skiing basically.

I want to know exactly what happened because Riff Raff and Berkshire East have ALWAYS gone hand in hand. And I don't mean that in a bad way, I'm just saying a ride up the chairlift without smelling some skunk is rare in the evenings.

Since when did Berkshire East get a stick up their butt? Or else they had a good reason. Either way hopefully somebody spills the beans.

Seems a lot more logical to just ban the "handful of miscreants" from skiing there...

Edit: Having said this, and how laid back Berkshire East is, they must have had a good reason. I'm reading their Facebook post about it now, ultimately they have my support whatever they do. I did like the $15 Thursday nights, but obviously I don't take advantage of it very often anyway.

It looks like the problem was regarding repeated theft. Not sure the whole story though. "Out of control tubers" "ruining it for everyone"

Also, in response to someone suggesting they rent some cops... "Cops will be here"

It's too bad I love Berkshire East. They're doing the right thing... only recently have they been improving their image as a ski area, it would be a shame for some bad apples to give people the impression it's not a safe place to go.

For the record I've skied there countless times and never experienced anything like what they are alluding to.

Edit: From Roy Shafer :: "The state police were present last night"

Damn!

Last edited:

Tin

That was my thought Tuna. Such a chill place some stuff must have really gone down to get that kind of reaction.

MadMadWorld

A few guys from the Sherburne Falls barracks were there. Word is minor misdemeanor offenses of the masses. Basically they couldn't police themselves. This is all second hand information from what I heard through the grapevine at work

C-Rex

I was wondering what happened too. Maybe it's just an excuse to raise prices. They do have a bunch of new stuff to pay for...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Bummer. That's too bad. Families could use the break. Fwiw Pats Peak is a zoo on Saturday Night POP events but they patrol things well.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Newpylong

A few guys from the Sherburne Falls barracks were there. Word is minor misdemeanor offenses of the masses. Basically they couldn't police themselves. This is all second hand information from what I heard through the grapevine at work

Shelburne Falls. :-D

gmcunni

all better now
$15 Thursdays reintroduced:With a lot of thought and planning and your customer feedback, we have decided keep $15 Thursdays.
Simply put, there will be zero tolerance for the following issues: Outside alcohol consumed on Berkshire East property, consumption of drugs and alcohol on the lifts, vandalism, swearing, out of control skiing, violations of the skier responsibility code and more.
Berkshire East goal is not only to provide a great night of skiing at affordable prices, but to produce this experience while protecting each person's freedom to ride by educating and enforcing personal responsibility and respect.

To achieve this standard of excellence we ask our customers to help ski patrol, ticket checkers, the new security and nightly police detail, and every other Berkshire East employee by pointing out reckless behavior so that we can handle it accordingly.

NotEasyBeingGreen

Was there today and it was absolutely fantastic. One of those magical ski days when every single thing is just right.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

drjeff

Bummer. This sort of fun is my speciality.

Nothing beats chairlift big beers and moguls.

Its pretty simple, if you get caught with a chairlift beer that wasn't bought there, that ski area could loose their alcohol permit - and if you're both drinking outside booze, AND getting high, a paranoid Mom could report them and make the end much worse!! (for both the offender and the ski area)

Last edited:

C-Rex

I was glad to hear that they reversed that whole thing. It shows that it's not about the money, which is good to hear as well. I'm sure there will be more self-policing going on now. All they need is some ambassadors to keep an eye on things. Give some locals a pass and a jacket. Once they establish a presence, it'll work itself out.

I was thinking they should have like an adults only, ski party night on Tuesdays or something. Outdoor bars top and bottom, music blasting, and skiing under the lights till midnight. But that's assuming that "adults" could handle such a thing. Damned nogoodniks would ruin it. It would be awesome on a nice spring night though.

AdironRider

Swearing?

Not that I'm condoning some of the behavior listed, but some of the other stuff makes them look like fools. Like no swearing, or banning outside alcohol. Good luck with those.

4aprice

Swearing?

Not that I'm condoning some of the behavior listed, but some of the other stuff makes them look like fools. Like no swearing, or banning outside alcohol. Good luck with those.

Its the whole "pre-gaming" thing. People get there fired up already. 1. Big with college students 2. Bad for the ski area.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ