• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic 2/3/15

Cornhead

Date(s) Skied: 2/3/15

Resort or Ski Area: Magic

Conditions: Powder

Trip Report:
Finally I can check Magic off my "to ski" list. I fought the urge to call in Monday and ski my home hill, Greek Peak. We got 8" locally out of Monday's storm. My buddy couldn't take Monday off, but could take Tuesday off. We decided to ski Plattekill, but when we found out there had been a private party at Platty on Monday, and that Tuesday wouldn't be a true "Powder Daize", we decided to ski Magic instead, neither of us had been there before.

We left Binghamton at 5 AM, the thermometer on my car hit a low of -17° on the trip there, brrrrr. Luckily the temps rose as we approached Londonderry. After my usual problems being mislead by my GPS, happens to me on both my Magellan, and my phone, this time it was the phone having me take a turn off rt 11 before actually arriving at Magic. The lot was full when we arrived right at opening. Luckily the lots are very small, we never waited on a chair all day.

We were rewarded for our efforts with a foot of fresh powder, more in places. Everything skied great, my buddy ducked the rope on Magician, but I passed, it was windblown on the very top, exposing jagged rocks on skier's right. He said it was fine once you dropped bellow the exposed rocks. I opted for a run down Talisman's instead, it skied great. It was slick beneath the fresh snow. This became a little issue for me personally as the day wore on and more icy spots were exposed. I chose to ski my rock skis, they have no ability to edge on anything firm anymore, so I had to be careful not to lose control when I hit an icy patch. I think this would've been a non issue on my new skis.

We skied from 9:30 till about 2:30, then headed for home. The conditions were outstanding, fresh snow could be found on the edges of the trails, and the glades were excellent. This may have been my first visit to Magic, but it won't be my last. So cool when your first time somewhere is under ideal conditions.

Attachments

• 1423046090581.jpg
    1423046090581.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 134
  • 1423046116020.jpg
    1423046116020.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 1423046132835.jpg
    1423046132835.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 133
  • 1423046153302.jpg
    1423046153302.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 1423046169253.jpg
    1423046169253.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 133

mriceyman

Why rock skis on a powder day???

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Cornhead

Why rock skis on a powder day???

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Because I'm a wuss, actually my rock skis are wider that my new skis, skied great except for the occasional icy spot.

4aprice

Your a Road Warrior. 5 am (and 4 am) starts are tough but a great time to travel. I do them all the time. Not sure where you are but from here in NNJ southern Vermont is an "easy" 4 hours and can be done in a day but I usually overnight.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Cornhead

Thanks guys, Magic lived up to, and exceeded expectations, of course a foot plus didn't hurt. Yeah, I'm in the Southern Tier of NYS, Binghamton, 200 miles, 4 hrs, from Magic. So, 8hrs of driving, and about 6hrs of powder skiing did make for a long day, but soooo worth it!

slatham

So bummed I couldn't pull it off but have been there on those days and its an experience you never forget, and want to have again and again!

Magic is steeper than platty, with more diverse steeps. But there is only one Blockbuster!

Magic is now set up for some insanely awesome skiing. If you've been thinking of going go!

THINK SNOW!

Cornhead

cornhead, really! All these years and you just got Magical? :blink:

Yes, sad, I know, it took me a long time to get Mad River Glenial too. I had driven right by both in my travels several times. I drove past Bromley for the fourth, or fifth, time on this trip, have yet to ski there, but I doubt I'm missing out on as much as the other 2 places.