• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Which mountain do you prefer (Mount Snow, Stratton, Killingon)?

bman1

I usually ski Killington but I'm getting a little bored. I've hit it so many times over the past couple of years. I may hit Gore this weekend but I was thinking maybe Snow or Stratton instead. Is there much of a difference between Mt Snow and Stratton?

ScottySkis

Mount Snow has nice trials on north face a lot of crusinng blue runs in main face nice trees to at Mount Snow better then starton I think.

gmcunni

i've not skied Stratton in many years but from memory both Snow and sTratton are fun places, especially if you know your way around (which being a K regular i suspect you don't).

not to derail but if you are bored @ K and looking for something different try Magic, especially this weekend. good snow in S VT and likely to be far less crowded than the others.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
The only good things about Stratton are it's groomers, trees, and lifts. Mount Snow has a lot more variety. They typically groom less than half the trails on the mountain. Ripcord will give you something with Killington-worthy steepness. Glades are somewhat lacking though. You've got more exposures to play with at Snow. Crowds are rough at both mountains.

rocks860

I second magic, if you're bored at killington I don't think stratton or mt snow would be more exciting.

wa-loaf

For an alternative to Killington I'd head to Sugarbush/MRG or Stowe.

RustyGroomer

Magic yesterday.
10407027_10206195663794211_8255250886215900319_n.jpg

dlague

For an alternative to Killington I'd head to Sugarbush/MRG or Stowe.

+1 Sugarbush/MRG or Stowe all have varied terrain that compliments what you may be used to at Killington.

However, if Southern Vermont is your goal then between Mount Snow and Stratton the differences are subtle. Stratton is a little larger and has a little more vert. Stratton does have some classic New England type of trials with lots of turns. Glade skiing at Mount Snow - I was told is pretty good.

amf

Between Snow and Stratton, I prefer the trees at Snow and the lift layout at Stratton. Snow is basically all top to bottom lifts. Stratton only has the gondi that goes top to bottom, so folks tend to get spread around a bit more. That said, lift lines at both places can get ugly. For my money though, if you are going to ski and not just cruise the only place to go is Magic. I love a place where you have to stop and think about how you are going to get down!

bman1

I was looking for Southern VT b/c I'll be leaving from NYC Friday around 4. Stowe and Sgbush are too far. So Magic isn't too small for a weekend? Where do you stay around there?

gmcunni

I was looking for Southern VT b/c I'll be leaving from NYC Friday around 4. Stowe and Sgbush are too far. So Magic isn't too small for a weekend? Where do you stay around there?
most people will say no, it isn't too small for a weekend. if you prefer groomers you might feel differently, that could be boring there.

Upper Pass lodge is nice and right there, literally.

RustyGroomer

So Magic isn't too small for a weekend? Where do you stay around there?
Too small? Come ski with me. Upper Pass Lodge. Edit: gmcunni beat me to it. Double edit: Help needed @ Upper Pass , just let me know.

bman1

Nice! So you think this weekend will still be pretty good? Looks like Magic it is!