• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Flat Light - Ever caught you off guard?

dlague

Check out this double eject! I have to admit, I have experienced some crazy flat light situations where unexpected air happens but nothing like this.

wa-loaf

I LOL'd. One day in Utah my friends were complaining about the flat light. I taught them about the magic of trees.

prsboogie

Check out this double eject! I have to admit, I have experienced some crazy flat light situations where unexpected air happens but nothing like this.

That is great!! Totally sometime I could see myself doing.

BenedictGomez

I cant imagine anyone who's been skiing for a more than a few years hasnt been caught off guard. If definitely causes me to dial-back on steep and/or moguled terrain late in the day.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com

That same thing happened to me at Lake Louise Back bowl , skied the slope the previous day sunny , next day flat light overnight avalanche debris packed solid.
Boom

SIKSKIER

That is about the only drawback to the western wide open/alpine slopes.I had more than a few diggers like that catskiing in BC.As Wa-loaf said,hit the trees.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Flat light is what kills it for me early in the season for early afternoons. Fortunately we're coming out of that.

Angus

As my eyes age (but the rest of my body stays young!), flat light is one of my biggest problems skiing. Definitely worse problem out west above tree line...really crushed me skiing very steep, technical lines at Whistler two years ago...no idea of what I was jumping or turning into...I've asked this before in other threads, recommendation on goggle lens color?

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
recommendation on goggle lens color?
A couple years ago skiing at Jay we were in "the" cloud? I dunno it was A cloud. Anyway my buddy had a reddish lens compared to my amber and it seemed to pull detail out a whole lot better.

Maybe like this:
anon-figment-lt-purple-mirror_2.jpg

or maybe this sort of tint would work better. This is Anon's Red Ice
anon-figment-red-ice_2.jpg

Last edited:

ironhippy

The first year I came back into skiing, I ended the season at Mont Saint Anne. The last day it was snowing and the top of the mountain was a complete white out.

I was skiing down towards a trail, I could just make out the edges of the trees so I stayed in the middle when all of a sudden I discovered they didn't groom on "powder days", I hit a frozen mogul left over from the spring skiing the day before.

Every other morning on my trip everything was groomed nice and smooth in the area I was skiing! Fortunately once the skiing got steep, the clouds lightened.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I ski a lot more carefully when it gets flat. This morning at Skidder at the Loaf I ran into some moguls I didn't see until I was about 10 feet away, and I was cruising pretty good

dlague

I recently got a new pair of goggles. I talked to the salesperson, and they led me to a chart and suggested that I get goggles that were rated at least in the 50's for VLT (Visible Light transmission). Used them Tuesday. Probably the best purchase I will make this year. I can see the contours and bumps in the flat light.

http://www.giro.com/us_en/snow/mens/goggles/station-new.html

My wife ordered a set of three lenses for her goggles which ended up paying off. Skis with clear lens at night yellow lens during the day where there is flat light. Also the best investment she every made for skiing.