• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New to snowboarding, where to learn?

Stephanie

Only issue I had really was other riders.

That whole person downhill has the right away didn't fly with some people. While I was trying to slice and slow down I kept having to look back as I almost got hit twice by people cruising down. Yeah I realize I'm slow and new and in your way, but they do make advanced/expert trails.

Im sure you experienced folk hate us newbs as well, but we were all beginners once and should be sympathetic towards beginners not make them crap their pants when you zoom past them going 30mph so close that you almost rode over their skis.

Yes!! This!!! +1!!

hammer

Only issue I had really was other riders.

That whole person downhill has the right away didn't fly with some people. While I was trying to slice and slow down I kept having to look back as I almost got hit twice by people cruising down. Yeah I realize I'm slow and new and in your way, but they do make advanced/expert trails.

Im sure you experienced folk hate us newbs as well, but we were all beginners once and should be sympathetic towards beginners not make them crap their pants when you zoom past them going 30mph so close that you almost rode over their skis.

For future reference, if you need to (or want to) go slower then the best thing to do is leave the sides of the trails alone of others to pass. Doesn't mean you don't have the right of way regardless but it will make it easier for those going faster if they don't have to suddenly put on the brakes because someone cuts off to the edge of a trail.

See this as more of a suggestion than a requirement...

snowpea

Yeah I found I needed the whole width of the trail to slow down, towards the end of the trip I was getting better.

So I was cutting from one end to the next and recognized the difficulties trying to avoid people as mostly everyone was doing different zig zags so occasionally paths would cross.

I was really not trying to get in the way so I was being watchful of the others coming down and occasionally pulled off to the side to let people who were really moving go by me in fear of them hitting me while I was making my wide cuts.

Jully

As long as you have a predictable movement across the trail that's fine. Avoiding someone cutting the whole trail is quite easy as long as you're looking downhill ahead of you. The thing that can be difficult is if you randomly cut in an unpredicted fashion.

It's totally okay for you to be learning and having to use a lot of the trail, especially if you were being as conscious about it as you were. Thank you for that, a lot of individuals on the mountain, beginner and expert, act like they own it when they clearly don't. Anyone who cuts close to you with a lot of room is just a jerk. If you were on a main intermediate trail the person shouldn't be flying anyways.