• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New to snowboarding, where to learn?

snowpea

As the title says I want to learn to snowboard with a couple friends (all adults). Im planning on arriving Thursday 2/19 and leaving Sunday 2/22

Preferences:

All inclusive (ski, lodge, rentals, classes)
Good atmosphere (newbie friendly) to learn. Not too crowded.
Closeness to Northern Rhode Island
Cheaper the better, but really this is my last priority.

For lodging I'd prefer on property or close to.

C-Rex

Mount Sunapee would probably be a good bet. They have a dedicated beginner area and have gotten a lot of snow our of the past storms. As far as packages go, you'd have to call them. That's the closest to RI I can think of besides Wachussett, but that's a small place and always crowded.

The larger resorts will probably have better learning programs. Places like Mount Snow, Killington, Stratton, etc. But they'll be farther away. If the drive isn't a problem, you can get a really good deal on a Slopeside condo, tickets, lessons, rentals, and all that if you go to Smugglers notch. There's a thread farther down with info.

snowpea

Mount Sunapee would probably be a good bet. They have a dedicated beginner area and have gotten a lot of snow our of the past storms. As far as packages go, you'd have to call them. That's the closest to RI I can think of besides Wachussett, but that's a small place and always crowded.

The larger resorts will probably have better learning programs. Places like Mount Snow, Killington, Stratton, etc. But they'll be farther away. If the drive isn't a problem, you can get a really good deal on a Slopeside condo, tickets, lessons, rentals, and all that if you go to Smugglers notch. There's a thread farther down with info.

Yeah Wachusett wasn't on my list as I know friends who ski there and its always packed. Close though. I heard Yawgoo isn't worth it.

Since im going for a few nights I wouldn't mind a 3-4 hours trek one way. For this reason I excluded Smuggles Notch as its 5 hours away each way. But if the deals are there I may be inclined to go that extra hour. I drive a Prius so not much extra in terms of $.

Mount Snow, Sunday River, Stratton(from what I saw it may be too expensive for me), Loon, Gunstock, Attitash, Mount Sunapee, Sugarbush, Okemo, Burke(though this is close to 5 hours as well) and Waterville Valley

As you can tell my options are open, I'm just looking for advice from people who do this regularly so im not getting ripped off or out of my league at a place that has all advanced trails.

dlague

Mount Snow, Sunday River, Stratton(from what I saw it may be too expensive for me), Loon, Gunstock, Attitash, Mount Sunapee, Sugarbush, Okemo, Burke(though this is close to 5 hours as well) and Waterville Valley

As you can tell my options are open, I'm just looking for advice from people who do this regularly so im not getting ripped off or out of my league at a place that has all advanced trails.

if Mount Snow, Sunday River, Stratton are too expensive then Sugarbush, Okemo will be too! However, Okemo has a good training program, terrain and lodging.

Look for lift tickets on www.Liftopia.com and look into learn to ski packages. No ski areas in Southern NH have slope side lodging. I think you will have to drive 3-4 hours just to find that. Loon might be another option.

gmcunni

Yeah Wachusett wasn't on my list as I know friends who ski there and its always packed. Close though. I heard Yawgoo isn't worth it.

Since im going for a few nights I wouldn't mind a 3-4 hours trek one way. For this reason I excluded Smuggles Notch as its 5 hours away each way. But if the deals are there I may be inclined to go that extra hour. I drive a Prius so not much extra in terms of $.

i don't know any of the NH places, don't get there much. for the VT ones i'll say Okemo but it won't be cheap, especially if you want to stay on the mountain. what i think would work @ okemo is the relatively large bunny hill. 2 quads from the base of the main lodge service that slope, it is a pretty gentle pitch and you can ride it over and over from different starting points and paths to minimize the boredom. once get up to speed there is a triple chair at the top of the magic carpet that serves a fun green trail called Sachem.

it will be crowded, it will be expensive. if you stay in town there is bus that stops at many of the hotels/motels.

Mount snow is similar, Sundance lodge has 2 chairs that serve a beginner slope you can learn on. Mt snow too has shuttle bus service to different logding options off mountain.

not on your list but might be worth looking at is Bromley. Near statton but smaller, less crowded and less expensive. Lodging is harder, not as many options.

gladerider

i would recommend killington or stratton for a few reasons:
1- i found burton's LTR (learn to ride) program decent. they detune their edges for easier learning. only a handful of mountains in VT offer this. i just looked up and both K and Stratton offer this.
2- you want to go to a mt where they have a decent amount of blue trails. unlike skiing, snowboarders avoid green trails because often it requires traversing. you see, we don't have poles like the skiers do and the greens can be a huge pain in the a$$ for boarders
3- i found on mountain lodging options to be very limited for most SVT mountain except those two mentioned above

skiNEwhere

If you do go to Killington, whatever you do don't go on juggernaut, unless you want to experience cross country snowboarding.

snowpea

So what is expensive for 3 nights 3 people? I was thinking 1,000 or less would be great.

Im rethinking slopeside lodging if its going to hinder the other more important preferences.

I'll try that liftopedia site

C-Rex

If you can make the drive, this is a near-unbeatable deal. I've take advantage of this twice now and may do it again in late Feb or early March. The guy that runs it is great and will help you out. You can up it to 3 nights with a 4 day ticket for around $225/person. Total, not per night. You can tack on lessons and rentals at a discount as well. I think lessons are like $40/person. Not sure about rentals, but if you email John he'll give you the info.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/135231-Smuggs-Deal-You-re-welcome!

hammer

Sunapee has a nice beginner area but all of the places will be packed at the time that the OP is looking at...that's right during Feb vacation week for MA. I'd suggest the following weekend if possible.

C-Rex

True. It was the only place I could think of that was close to him.

I'd really push for the Smuggs deal. Even if it's crowded on the main mountain the beginner area, Morse, will be great to learn on. And it'll be right outside the door of your condo. Then after you spend an inevitably painful day learning, you can walk over to the pool and hot tubs to soak the aches away. Then to the bar to numb everything completely.

To the OP, trust me on this, Smuggs would be a great weekend, and totally worth the extra drive time.

snowpea

Sunapee has a nice beginner area but all of the places will be packed at the time that the OP is looking at...that's right during Feb vacation week for MA. I'd suggest the following weekend if possible.

Well one of my friends visiting is a school teacher in MA so that's why im going that week.

@C-Rex that deal sounds great. I'll email Jim.

snowpea

Even if it's crowded on the main mountain the beginner area, Morse, will be great to learn on. And it'll be right outside the door of your condo. Then after you spend an inevitably painful day learning, you can walk over to the pool and hot tubs to soak the aches away. Then to the bar to numb everything completely.

To the OP, trust me on this, Smuggs would be a great weekend, and totally worth the extra drive time.

Yeah I was reading that on the thread you linked. Yeah I was thinking about that...If I'd be too sore to even snowboard for 3 consecutive days. I hear you work a lot of muscles you normally don't use.

I can ice skate pretty well, not sure if its anything similar.

dlague

Yeah I was reading that on the thread you linked. Yeah I was thinking about that...If I'd be too sore to even snowboard for 3 consecutive days. I hear you work a lot of muscles you normally don't use.

I can ice skate pretty well, not sure if its anything similar.

My wife and I took snowboard lessons and found muscles to be sore after one day. However, more so for my wife than I since I was able to rock my self back up vs the flip the board over and push you self back up. I also, was getting it a little faster than my wife since it felt like skateboarding. I do think that the soreness is in line with the amount of falling that happens.

rocks860

I couldn't move after my first day of snowboarding, and I was like 13 haha. Can't imagine what it would be like now.

snowpea

Oh boy...Its not that I didn't think of this aspect, I just didn't think itd be that bad.

Im 27 and slightly athletic, other two people not so much.

snowpea

Thank you everyone for your input. Our trip was awesome!

Arrived a bit late on Thursday so we missed our lesson. I opted to Ski instead, which im glad I did as someone in our group did snowboarding and was light years away in terms of progress made over those three days.

The lady who checked us in was the nicest she rescheduled us for Friday morning and advised us to not try the lifts, but if we were insistent on trying it out to do the bunny slopes.

I picked up skiing real easy and was hockey stopping and cutting nicely the first day(according to the instructor). Was sort of like roller blading/ice skating when it came down to getting linear speed on flat surfaces. Was people watching a lot on the first day trying to pick up whatever I could.

Friday came, did our lesson and tried the beginner lift. I got scared very easily and fell hard a few times, I just couldn't seem to slow down with my cuts and was hesitant on going back out Saturday over thinking it. I came very close to dislocating my shoulder trying to use the poles to stop my fall.

Saturday came and I bucked up and got back on the mountain. Didn't fall once, but was taking it very easy, going pretty much linear on my cuts. Towards the end of the day I was confident in my ability to slow down so I was going with the mountain a bit more on my cuts.

Had a great time. Was close to everything. Could literally ski over to the lift from the condo. Condos were nice and quiet, first day we went to bed at like 8PM as we were beat and no one bothered us in terms of noise.

Glad you recommended this deal. Rentals were pricey, I'd rent locally for half the price next time. THough I think I will buy my own pair of boots/skis as I really enjoyed it and feel I could be decent at it someday.

snowpea

Only issue I had really was other riders.

That whole person downhill has the right away didn't fly with some people. While I was trying to slice and slow down I kept having to look back as I almost got hit twice by people cruising down. Yeah I realize I'm slow and new and in your way, but they do make advanced/expert trails.

Im sure you experienced folk hate us newbs as well, but we were all beginners once and should be sympathetic towards beginners not make them crap their pants when you zoom past them going 30mph so close that you almost rode over their skis.