• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Recite Gettysburg Address, Ski Free at MC Thurs 2-12

legalskier

"To celebrate Lincoln’s Birthday, Mountain Creek is running a special promotion on Thursday February 12th. On this day Mountain Creek will give anyone who can come out and recite Honest Abe's Gettysburg Address correctly in its entirety, a free All Access Lift Ticket good for that day."
http://www.mountaincreek.com/tickets/tickets-deals/lincolns-birthday/

Here's the coupon link:
http://www.mountaincreek.com/tickets/tickets-deals/gettysburg-address

drawing-lincoln-gettysburg-address.jpg

x10003q

They could recite it to me and give me a ticket and I still wouldn't ski MC. The new /old owners are back to their old methods. Old habits die hard.

ScottySkis

They could recite it to me and give me a ticket and I still wouldn't ski MC. The new /old owners are back to their old methods. Old habits die hard.

What they due. I ski the place a lot of over the years it close to home after storm if I can't get to place with steeps because of bad roads and time I go to MC.

AdironRider

I like promotions like this. Seems to be a last vestige of the unique culture of skiing.

Cornhead

As long as they don't make Scotty type it, he might have a chance.:D

snoloco

I have a pass at MC. No need for me to do it. They actually posted on their instagram all the people who correctly did it.

PomfretPlunge

You can actually see the Gettysburg battlefield from where we ski in Pennsylvania at this nice hill called Ski Liberty. You can see Big Roundtop, Little Roundtop, the wide-open field where Pickett's Charge happened, and the central monument. It's several miles away across the farmland but you can see pretty well on a clear day.

My great-great-grandfather was at Gettysburg in the 15th New Jersey Volunteers and wrote a bit about what he saw in his diary. They were posted behind Little Roundtop mostly out of the action but took a few casualties from shells that flew over and reached them. They had a lot more action later at Wilderness & Spotsylvania.

x10003q

I joined Alpine Zone!!! What old methods are you referring to?

Everything you wrote in your rant about MC on NYSkiblog could be applied to vv/gg under Great American Recreation before Intrawest took over operations. There was always a lack of staff, poor crowd control, lifts not running, and no answers. There were always issues with insurance - if they even had any. The current owners are the Crystal Springs Resort - the name GAR went with (for the golf courses they still owned) after the ski area went under in 1997.

snoloco

I only skied MC twice under Intrawest. I always hear good things about how they ran the place though. Management never blew any snow on Pipeline this year, or last year, or in 11-12. However, someone on facebook said that all years before that, even the dreadful half season of 06-07, they blew snow on it and opened it, even if only for a short time. I saw from some footage of the place under Intrawest that they ran the lifts faster and loaded 4 on every chair. I also heard that they did a great job with the terrain park and ever since the old owners came back, the terrain park has gone downhill. Another frustrating thing they did was removing the original Sojourn Double from the VVGG days at the end of 09-10. They originally planned to have a trail from South to Granite ready for 10-11, but they kept pushing that back to 11-12 and then 12-13. In 12-13 they finally connected the two peaks again, but by building a new Sojourn Double chair. Why couldn't they just have built the lift the next season or kept the original lift till they had a replacement ironed out? I do have to give the new/old owners credit for building the new Red Tail Lodge that Intrawest never got around to doing. Sure a huge upgrade over the old circus tents they had after the original burned down. They also did a great job this summer with Action Park.

Hawkshot99

I joined Alpine Zone!!! What old methods are you referring to?

I am familar with "old methods" there. But I usd to work with a guy who owned a business at the mtn(and many other ski mtns). About 3 years ago they took out a inurence policy incase they could not open in time from lack of snow. In this "horrible time to make snow" they were unable to make enough snow to open the mtn. Coincidentally, the day after the insurence date hit, they opened. I would have pissed if I was a pass holder there, and missed out on skiing so they could sit and wait to collect the $.