Lost Hiker in WMNF Found Dead - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    or in a sail boat in the Atlantic........

https://www.dvidshub.net/video/39135...m#.VOKjN_nF-VM

RIP to the deceased
    Arrrgh. Free abandoned sail boat after coast guard rescue. If you can board her and get her home she is yours to keep. Arrrgh.

The video listed the coordinates 38.48310N,69.01186W.

How bad could it be.

This was the Number One search item on Yahoo tonight.....

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ain-hike-at-32
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    You know.....that has happened before. Multiple times. This guy's death was particularly controversial.
    I've read everything I can find on the net since reading of Kate's death. That's how I ended up on this forum. It's very upsetting and too close to home for me. I've been to the Whites about 20 times over the past 35 years, mostly solo as I prefer it that way. I've gotten myself into and out of trouble in Huntington Ravine in the winter and turned back on Lion's Head after 45 minutes above treeline in 70-80mph winds with blizzard conditions. I couldn"t see my own footprints because the wind just washed them away. My thought was...I'm a father...I've got no business going any further. Next day I summitted Washington in 40 degree weather with a 5mph breeze. All of my climbs have been enjoyable, there's something magical above treeline in the winter.

I don't subscribe to the sentiment that Kate died doing something she loved. I'm fairly certain that she would rather be in a warm bed with her husband tonight. I do know, however, that we come to this life with a certain number of breaths given to us. And Kate has taken her last, and it was not up to her. She is now on to her next leg of her journey. I hope she is well.

Guy Waterman's story has always disturbed me, even closer to home. How could a man who lived and idealised so much of what I aspire to take his own life? Perhaps the answers are not above treeline after all, I never found them there. Perhaps Guy has finally found some peace.

Hey, what's worse...dying or not living while you're alive? Since I'm still breathing, I'll be seeking these answers whether I'm in Times Square or the Himalaya, it doesn't much matter...if I take a higher perspective.

Perhaps Kate can see clearer than any of us right now...
    I'm afraid that Guy, since he took his own life, may not see as clearly.
    Life is a precious gift..and a wonderful opportunity...enjoy each breath
    Last edited by Johnnyboy; Feb 19, 2015 at 1:04 AM.

This is a good video posted by Boston Globe is good:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/new...gaM/video.html

It explains that she actually got the summits of Madison and Adams before trying to return. The NH official also sums it up pretty well by saying that her plan "gave him pause" because it was not realistic considering the conditions. I think that the other point that is key is that she was a very goal oriented person and that while that may work in finance it does not always work in mountaineering. You need to be able to give up and turn around if things get bad. The mountain will be there for another day.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    This is a good video posted by Boston Globe is good:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/new...gaM/video.html

It explains that she actually got the summits of Madison and Adams before trying to return. The NH official also sums it up pretty well by saying that her plan "gave him pause" because it was not realistic considering the conditions. I think that the other point that is key is that she was a very goal oriented person and that while that may work in finance it does not always work in mountaineering. You need to be able to give up and turn around if things get bad. The mountain will be there for another day.
    Nor would she be likely to be deterred by anyone trying to convince her to not go.

What a tragic error in judgement; I feel badly for her and her family/friends. My comment referring to suicide came from confusion as to how someone with so much experience could die that way. It seemed like a possibility. Not so now after reading about her.

The story of the rescue and a video showing guys getting blown around trying search for her. That was nuts to be going out that day!

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...?event=event25
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    The story of the rescue and a video showing guys getting blown around trying search for her. That was nuts to be going out that day!

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...?event=event25
    Wow , incredibly sad . Leaves me with a question about NH rescue policy and previous discussion about a hike safe card or lack of.
    If a person passes away does the State send a bill to the relatives?

Condolences so sad sorry I think it kind if neat the way she checkout loving hobby now at work. Still terrible lives ahead for family .

Quote Originally Posted by Siliconebobsquarepants View Post
    Wow , incredibly sad . Leaves me with a question about NH rescue policy and previous discussion about a hike safe card or lack of.
    If a person passes away does the State send a bill to the relatives?
    I'm not sure that this would be a case that would be billed. She had the right gear and experience. I think that the policy is designed to deter folks who strike out for Mount Washington with a water bottle, sneakers, and a cell phone and nothing else.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    Live, Ski, or Die!

One thing I've wondered about and the graphic showing her route even makes me wonder more - she was found "a few hundred feet below the trail" - Was she blown off the trail and hurt - possibly with a sprain or break?

Last edited by Abubob; Feb 26, 2015 at 7:49 AM.
    "Happiness equals reality minus expectations." Tommy Magliozzi

Thread Information