Lost Hiker in WMNF Found Dead - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    I'll answer my own question. This from further in the article -

Her pack was off, and her face was scraped and cut. Her headlamp was still in place.
    “It looked like she got blown off the Star Lake trail,” Pelchat said. “A big gust of wind picked her up and blew her off the trail.”
    "Happiness equals reality minus expectations." Tommy Magliozzi

Quote Originally Posted by Abubob View Post
    I'll answer my own question. This from further in the article -
    Wow.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    Wow.
    It's now been a year since Kate passed. Bumping this thread in remembrance of her...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyboy View Post
    It's now been a year since Kate passed. Bumping this thread in remembrance of her...
    It was a terrible, albeit avoidable, tragedy. And the one year anniversary of a death is almost as difficult to deal with as one day after.

[QUOTE=Abubob;936653]It was a terrible, albeit avoidable, tragedy. And the one year anniversary of a death is almost as difficult to deal with as one day after.[/QUOTE

Yes, an avoidable tragedy, but Kate live her script just as we all are living ours day to day. In case you are wondering if you are living yours, just look down at feet and check where you are. I thought of her this morning as I was out for an early walk in an ice storm. I love the ice and snow. You have a great quote as your signature line Abubob...reality minus expectations

Yes, an avoidable tragedy, but Kate live her script just as we all are living ours day to day. In case you are wondering if you are living yours, just look down at feet and check where you are.
    Boy is that depressing. (to me anyway). I'd hate to think that we are simply living a script. That seems to suggest that everything (including her tragedy) is actually unavoidable. I prefer to believe that there is no script and we are writing our history as we go with the decision we make.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
    Boy is that depressing. (to me anyway). I'd hate to think that we are simply living a script. That seems to suggest that everything (including her tragedy) is actually unavoidable. I prefer to believe that there is no script and we are writing our history as we go with the decision we make.
    I understand what you are saying. A turning point in my life was adding Trust. Trust answers all my questions. Pain, suffering, death are all inevitable at some point. I trust it has a purpose.
    Much of my time in the mountains has been seeking higher meaning and understanding after plenty of personal pain, suffering, tragedy.
    I've experienced the "third man factor" in the Whites when I was guided each and every move by a clear voice when I was in trouble over my head. Many mountaineers have experienced such benevolent guidance. Check out the website on the third man factor or the book.
    We are all free to believe as we wish and think for ourselves. I prefer to add Trust to each and every move and believe in the order of things as viewed from high places. Of course we need to do what we can to avoid tragedy in the mountains and elsewhere but if we take the risks with good judgement and Trust, then we can also trust that the consequences are meant to be.
    When I initially learned of Kate's death and her climbing plan for the day, I knew she had an overambitious plan, at least no way I could do that route in a day in winter or summer. So the consequences played out. And so it is...maybe it doesn't even matter what you or I think, believe or feel.

Of course we need to do what we can to avoid tragedy in the mountains and elsewhere but if we take the risks with good judgement and Trust, then we can also trust that the consequences are meant to be.
    When I initially learned of Kate's death and her climbing plan for the day, I knew she had an overambitious plan, at least no way I could do that route in a day in winter or summer. So the consequences played out. And so it is...maybe it doesn't even matter what you or I think, believe or feel.
    You're still talking about FATE. As if it doesn't matter what YOU decide. You are just following some unknown pre-described script?

Quote Originally Posted by Abubob View Post
    You're still talking about FATE. As if it doesn't matter what YOU decide. You are just following some unknown pre-described script?
    I follow my heart, just as Kate did by challenging herself in the Presidentials in winter. Our hearts are our connection to our Source. I trust the Source.
    I find day to day living in the workaday world very draining and unfufilling. So I seek extreme stuff. It is my nature. I question everything, which has led me to places where others only shake their heads in disbelief and fear. I am willing to bleed and die for my choices. But at the same time, I use my mind for discernment.
    There is order in this world. There are laws which no one is exempt from. We don't control when we are born or when we die. Trust that and you may see the beauty, the consistency of this thing we call life. Life is not random.

Read through my other posts, if you see any inconsistencies, please point them out. I'm always open to a higher truth. I am always seeking, always questioning, always introspecting. It's fun, it's extreme!

I am willing to bleed and die for my choices. But at the same time, I use my mind for discernment.
    There is order in this world. There are laws which no one is exempt from.
    I think this is a healthy attitude. One of the things that bothered me about Kate's death is that she ignored warnings from park rangers.

We don't control when we are born or when we die. Trust that and you may see the beauty, the consistency of this thing we call life. Life is not random.
    I'm not prepared to die for my recreation. I don't need to come within an inch of my life to see beauty. We are surrounded by it. Certainly the trail is the place to be immersed in it. However, even though I listen to my heart, my head trumps my heart most - most - every time. So while I don't control the drunk driver I do have control over what I do and don't do. I don't drink and drive. I keep my tires and brakes in order and try to drive a reasonable speed. When I'm on the trail I carry extra food and water and some medical supplies as I'm sure Kate did but I won't knowingly walk into a tempest. So while life has it random moments I mitigate by my choices. It sounds as though you do as well but with your experience you can press a bit - maybe quite a bit - further than most. Kate, no doubt, felt the same way. Still I think her heart led her astray. In the mountains the consequences of a misstep and a random occurrence are much more dire as you are well aware. To me, life is sacred. I - and this is a personal choice - will not risk it unnecessarily.

Thread Information