Lost Hiker in WMNF Found Dead - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    And skiers/riders never go driving out in blizzard conditions or a major snowstorm to get to a mountain for a powder day...and don't say it's OK just because one has AWD and winter tires...

Unfortunately, enthusiasts in many sports will take risks, some worse than others.

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    And skiers/riders never go driving out in blizzard conditions or a major snowstorm to get to a mountain for a powder day...and don't say it's OK just because one has AWD and winter tires...

Unfortunately, enthusiasts in many sports will take risks, some worse than others.
    Go back to your Nanny State in the flatlands of Massachusetts. These scenarios are not even remotely close.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Death by mountain.

Maybe she had an incurable illness.
    That's exactly what I was thinking !
    Something was wrong somewhere..... Work / health or marriage !

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    You know.....that has happened before. Multiple times. This guy's death was particularly controversial.
    Holy crap that is a long read!

But you might be on to something!
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

anybody who is planning to hike the Presidentials even in summer should read the book "Not Without Peril: 150 Years of Misadventure on the Presidential Range of New Hampshire". Its a great book explaining each death in the region over the last 150 years. One guy died in the same area this woman died in the Summer of 1986 in a snow-storm!
    My wife and I had to turn back from a Mount Adams hike in July due to incredible wind and below freezing cold. That as before we read the book! We were not prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by mlctvt View Post
    anybody who is planning to hike the Presidentials even in summer should read the book "Not Without Peril: 150 Years of Misadventure on the Presidential Range of New Hampshire". Its a great book explaining each death in the region over the last 150 years. One guy died in the same area this woman died in the Summer of 1986 in a snow-storm!
    My wife and I had to turn back from a Mount Adams hike in July due to incredible wind and below freezing cold. That as before we read the book! We were not prepared.
    That is a very good book even if it is grim.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Here's an interesting and fairly plausible take on what might have gone wrong from one of the climbing guides on Mt. Washington.

http://nealpinestart.com/2015/02/18/...s-on-mt-adams/

He indicates he has guided groups to the top in similar conditions and that a trip up there wasn't "per se" insane.

Second, he points out the change in forecast wind direction and how that made a big difference in the difficulty of the hike itself, and the emergency egress route.

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Death by mountain. Maybe she had an incurable illness.
    Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    You know.....that has happened before. Multiple times. This guy's death was particularly controversial.
    Quote Originally Posted by JDMRoma View Post
    That's exactly what I was thinking !
    Something was wrong somewhere..... Work / health or marriage !
    Quote Originally Posted by noreasterbackcountry View Post
    Here's an interesting and fairly plausible take on what might have gone wrong from one of the climbing guides on Mt. Washington.

http://nealpinestart.com/2015/02/18/...s-on-mt-adams/

He indicates he has guided groups to the top in similar conditions and that a trip up there wasn't "per se" insane.

Second, he points out the change in forecast wind direction and how that made a big difference in the difficulty of the hike itself, and the emergency egress route.
    I also doubt her death was intentional in any way. If it were, why even bring a beacon let alone use it if your intent was to die? Plus she wasn't far from the hut where she could have found some shelter. It's just another example of blundering into death. She was knowledgable, she was prepared but as the Bible says, "...nor do those with knowledge always have success, because time and unexpected events overtake them all". Ecc 9:11
    "Happiness equals reality minus expectations." Tommy Magliozzi

Quote Originally Posted by Abubob View Post
    I also doubt her death was intentional in any way. If it were, why even bring a beacon let alone use it if your intent was to die? Plus she wasn't far from the hut where she could have found some shelter. It's just another example of blundering into death. She was knowledgable, she was prepared but as the Bible says, "...nor do those with knowledge always have success, because time and unexpected events overtake them all". Ecc 9:11
    True, skiers and snowboarders are possibly one edge catch away from disaster at times. Think about it - how many times have you hauled ass down a run not really knowing what is ahead, or skied powder along the wood line not really knowing what is underneath, or skied the trees and hit ice, a stump or rock or got tripped up by branches. Our sport has its own risks that are not understood by those who fear what we do.
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    True, skiers and snowboarders are possibly one edge catch away from disaster at times. Think about it - how many times have you hauled ass down a run not really knowing what is ahead, or skied powder along the wood line not really knowing what is underneath, or skied the trees and hit ice, a stump or rock or got tripped up by branches. Our sport has its own risks that are not understood by those who fear what we do.
    These scenarios are not even remotely close...

Thread Information