• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best/Worst Ski Trail Names

Puck it

To many old timers at Sugarloaf, White Nitro will always be known as Wedge Extension & Upper Wedge...It's kind of to bad they didn't keep it that way, but the marketing wars with Sunday River in the late 90's/early 2000's led to the changing of the name to White Nitro.

Cannonball was returned to its rightful name this year. Profile

dlague

Most of the time, I enjoy when a ski area has a theme to their trail names

Wildcat - cat related
Sugarloaf - logging
Saddleback - fishing
Mt. Abram - Rocky and Bullwinkle (Boris Badenov might be my second favorite trail name behind Bubblecuffer)
Crotched - galaxy themed
Magic - magic themed

Pats Peak Wind Theme - my favorite names there are Hurricane, Vortex, Tornado and Cyclone

Some Ski Areas use names that seem threatening but are not - Utter Abandon and The Bone Yard at Waterville or Black Hole and White Lightning at Okemo

Favorite Trail names

Jay Peak - Valhalla
Burke - Throbulator
Stowe - Nosedive

Worst Names - anything with Upper, Middle and Lower in the name.

Newpylong

Sugarbush takes the cake for a plethora of good names IMO.
Exterminator
Hammerhead
Organgrinder
The Mall
Middle Earth
Rumble

I have always liked Devil's Fiddle, Valley Plunge, and Downdraft names at the Big K.

Jaws (of Death) and Plummet at Mount Snow

ThinkSnow

Exterminator
Hammerhead
Organgrinder
The Mall
Middle Earth
Rumble

I have always liked Devil's Fiddle, Valley Plunge, and Downdraft names at the Big K.

Lets not forget about "Sleeper"

Mapnut

Quote from MadMadWorld: If I remember correctly from skiing as a kid....doesn't a mountain in NY have a trail called Wheelchair? Lol [unquote] Yes, Windham, and it's one of their better expert trails: http://snowjournal.com/page.php?cid=galimg33670 As justification, it does have a chairlift on it, and all their trail names start with W so they had to stretch a little.

Last edited:

steamboat1

killington has some cool glade names.

Somewhere
Nowhere
Chop Chop
The Throne (previously mentioned)
Anarchy
Growler
Stairs
Devils Den
Centerpiece
Low Rider
Sqeeze Play

etc.

plus a host of other named glades not on the map.

rocks860

Exterminator
Hammerhead
Organgrinder
The Mall
Middle Earth
Rumble

Morningstar also a great one

catskillman

Most of the time, I enjoy when a ski area has a theme to their trail names Hunter is mostly NYC highway and street name related.

Wildcat - cat related
Sugarloaf - logging
Saddleback - fishing
Mt. Abram - Rocky and Bullwinkle (Boris Badenov might be my second favorite trail name behind Bubblecuffer)
Crotched - galaxy themed
Magic - magic themed
Hunter is mostly NYC highway and street name related.

catskillman

Yeah, it's fun, except Hunter, using NYC names for it's trails. Guess they knew who their target audience was ( not that there's anything wrong with NYC, or it's people, I just feel a mountain trail system should have mountain names - like Annapurna )

Worst at Hunter -
Belt Parkway
Eastside Drive
Broad Way
Gun Hill
Eisenhower drive
Those are all NYC streets and highways - It's Broadway not "Broad Way"

MadMadWorld

Quote from MadMadWorld: If I remember correctly from skiing as a kid....doesn't a mountain in NY have a trail called Wheelchair? Lol [unquote] Yes, Windham, and it's one of their better expert trails: http://snowjournal.com/page.php?cid=galimg33670 As justification, it does have a chairlift on it, and all their trail names start with W so they had to stretch a little.

It looked a lot more intimidating as a kid!

ceo

Favorites: Hardscrabbles at Cannon. Boom Scooter at Sugarloaf. Middle Earth at Sugarbush.

Least favorites: All of the Front Face trails at Sugarloaf, particularly White Nitro and Pure Heat. For Sugarloaf to be all Sunday River wannabe like that is kind of ludicrous.

Skikarl

At black mountain they have two trails ( Lostbo and Lostbo glades) apparently according to local legend it was a Les Otten diss; it stands for Les Otten Sucks The Big One

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone