• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic or MRG?

gozips

Hi everyone - I'm contemplating a trip tomorrow to either Magic or Mad River Glen. I've never been to either (always wanted to go to both, just never made it there). Which is more likely to be the better bet (better conditions, fewer people, etc)? Thanks in advance.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It's a holiday week. I believe Magic is open every day this week.

Both would be excellent choices right now. I'd probably lean towards Magic personally as the weather would be a little warmer.

gmcunni

go to the further away then next time it will be easier to go to the other since it will be a shorter drive.

bdfreetuna

I would go to MRG since I've been to Magic about 5 times since my last visit to MRG.

Sorry that has nothing to do with your question :D

rocks860

Magic was pretty empty on Sunday but I don't know how crowded it may be this week and they only have one lift running. Mrg is great and they've got good variety, if they have anywhere near the same amount of snow as magic I would probably go there.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
In any year but this one, I'd say hit Magic mid season and MRG later in the season, strictly based on snow preservation. This year I suspect most hills will close with plenty of snow left. MRG will have a lot of families there this week, since a lot of families are shareholders.

Smellytele

Not sure how much snow MRG has gotten since last Tuesday when I was there. I wouldn't say it needed a refreshing then but the steeper stuff was starting to get scraped. The difference I believe might also be the base. Magic may have a more classic NE base where as MRG has a natural base. In other words Magic hard pack ice base MRG rocks, dirt and grass base

Savemeasammy

This is a rare opportunity to hit magic on a weekday - I would take advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocojerry

i was thinking about northern or southern vt... then i saw this..
sd1_today.jpg

MadMadWorld

This may surprise some people but MRG takes wind better than almost any mountain out there. They have a few trails that can get wind scoured like Cat Bowl, Gazelle, and Creamery. But that's really it. Unlike some mountains (*cough*Killington*cough) MRG designed narrow trails along the fall line. This makes it impossible for wind to destroy 95% of the trails on the mountain. It really gives them an advantage

MMP

Mad is awesome and Magic is awesome. Both are skiing great I imagine.

Since wind and uphill capacity were mentioned, mad delivers 3 skiers to 2 peaks and Magic has a double to the top. The single has been on wind hold while I've been there, but I cannot recall Red ever holding for wind.

Magic is often referred to as MRG of the south because of the classic trail cutting. Support either, you can't go wrong.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
IMO, it's analogous to asking the question: Which would I prefer? An MG Roadster or a TR6. Both are great retro places, but as someone who hates crowds, Magic would be my choice.

benski

Since wind and uphill capacity were mentioned, mad delivers 3 skiers to 2 peaks and Magic has a double to the top. The single has been on wind hold while I've been there, but I cannot recall Red ever holding for wind.

Magic is often referred to as MRG of the south because of the classic trail cutting. Support either, you can't go wrong.

You forget the intermediate and beginner doubles at mad.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

benski

You forgot the 2 other doubles at mad. They don't look exiting but they might have a decent groomer and definitely help with crowds.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone