• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington skiing into June.!

drjeff

That's awesome! I wonder how many of the other mountains are still blowing snow.

In the East?? Wildcat may be it, unless one of the Boyne Resorts in Maine make a little more.

In the West, a bunch are, simply because of the poor snow season in places making it a necessity to try and get some business :eek:

drjeff

This surprises me. Wildcat had shut down the guns in early January. I guess they really are serious about May.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was possibly a bit of adding to the base depths for May + maybe a bit of testing a new model of snow guns. I know that HKD rolled out their new tripod mounted version of the orange colored Impulse tower guns (that Peak Resorts, and many other ski areas too, bought a bunch of last summer) at multiple industry trade shows the last few weeks, and Peak has their main company wide snowmaking research guy, Brendan Ryan, at Wildcat.....

Edd

Highway Star

They will be lucky to last till June. Even yesterday a lot of the pack melted, a couple weeks like this it won't matter how much there is.

troll_me_as_hard_as_you_can.jpg

boofenstien

Think I'm getting that $189 Goggle Tan pass. A buddy told me that can be put towards a season pass for next year but I haven't confirmed that.

New for 2015/16 Season! All new 2015/16 season passholders can ski/ride the remainder of the 2014/15 season free! All renewing 2015/16 season passholders receive one free anyday lift ticket to be used during the remainder of the 2014/15 season at Attitash Mountain Resort or Wildcat Mountain.

New for 2015/16 Season! Upgrade your Goggle Tan Granite Spring Pass on or before June 1, 2015 and apply the full $189 amount you paid toward the purchase of any 2015/16 season pass. Think of it as a “Try Before You Buy” offer!

Jcb890

In the East?? Wildcat may be it, unless one of the Boyne Resorts in Maine make a little more.

In the West, a bunch are, simply because of the poor snow season in places making it a necessity to try and get some business :eek:

I've never even been out West

deadheadskier

Staff member
They will be lucky to last till June. Even yesterday a lot of the pack melted, a couple weeks like this it won't matter how much there is.

I'm in Rutland right now. 50 degrees here and a shocking amount of snow loss. I'm sure the glacier has been minimally affected, but here in the valley snow levels are around 8-14 inches anywhere that's baked in the sun. Tomorrow is supposed to be just as warm. It's going to do some damage for sure.

machski

Doubt any of Boyne's resorts will make any more snow (barring an extreme warm up with good cold on the back side of it). Sunday River was pulling down hose today from almost everywhere left that still had hose at the guns. Got to 48 here but not much damage up on the hill. Parking lots on the other hand...

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Are they still making snow? Wildcat is.

The snowmakers are out shoveling out the towers getting ready to make some snow! Next time you see… ...]

Unless you can show me video of Wildcat making snow, I suspect that they are digging out some things that the melting snow can damage (like electronics) and disconnecting hoses that got buried. I haven't been to Wildcat, but our snowmakers were doing that at CM (another Peak Resort area) with certainly no intent of making snow.

Edited addition: My sources tell me that Wildcat does plan both to make more snow and to be open to May 1 and beyond. I was very surprised to hear that.

Last edited:

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Why is everyone talking like Killington is not going to add any more natural? It's just the beginning of March.
One inch of snow in January lasts longer than a foot in March or April. In most cases, March and April snow never has the chance to set up with extended cold. If you are there the day of the snowfall, it can be great, but two days later it compresses to near nothing!

machski

One inch of snow in January lasts longer than a foot in March or April. In most cases, March and April snow never has the chance to set up with extended cold. If you are there the day of the snowfall, it can be great, but two days later it compresses to near nothing!

And your point? Snow now til it stops helps stop the meltout of what is there currently at worst. At best, it adds back a little of what has melted/compacted/sublimated out already. Sure, late snow will never add much length to natural terrain (Tuckeman's aside), but it will sure help shore up stacked machine made terrain. Plus, its fun when its on the ground!!