• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

This weather is hurting the majority of the ski business

Cannonball

Dude, you are clearly making their nut by buying a couple beers on a deck in the spring. I'm sure they are counting on that, and not the thousands of tourists from NYC buying beers during holiday weeks.

What part of "I agree that most areas make their bank during the mid-winter holiday weeks." don't you understand? Isn't only like 4pm out there? Are you already on the sauce?

Rowsdower

I'm in the exploration phase.

I love Upper Black Eddy and the areas just west, north, and south of there, and I don't think I'd want to go much further west than 611 due to increasing drive times. I really need to explore and learn more about the entire area. I'm well acquainted with PA points along 78 and south and think it's beautiful, but I know nothing about the border PA areas north of 78 like Wind Gap, Bangor, Martin's Creek etc... I'm looking for rural, but not desolate, if that makes sense.

EDIT: Where are you moving to?

North of 78 gets you more towards the desolate side of the spectrum. South of the Blue Mountain you're still in the Lehigh Valley, which is a mix of rural and suburban areas. That area has gotten very built up in the last 10-20 years. North of the Blue Mountain gets much more rural. If you can commute via I-80 the Stroudsburg area might be in play, but I'm not sure where in Jersey you are commuting to. That would be too far probably if you had to get back to I-78.

South of that in Bucks Co. its split: west of 611 is much more suburban while the area between Newtown, the Delaware River, and 611 is largely rural, but still close to most everything. Bucks Co. will be more expensive though since its in the Philly metro. There are some gorgeous parts of each area.

We'll be moving to the Yardley area since I'm commuting up to New Brunswick. It's also good because I can apply for jobs in either the Philly or Princeton areas, and there's a lot of stuff in the biomed field in both those regions so it should aid in the job hunt. Bit further of a drive to the Pokes than I have now. I'm looking at 1hr 45min to Camelback versus 1hr 30min from Piscataway, and the Catskills are probably out of day trip range now, but all things considered we're finding it to be worth it. We get a small detached house (2bd, 1bath), basement, and front/back yards for the same price we'd pay for a studio apartment in North Jersey. It's actually closer to skiing with Bear Creek being and hour away. It's a mole hill, but its there I suppose. Blue Mountain is also closer as another option over Camelback.

Wavewheeler

I worry that in ten or twenty years PA will be just as expensive and dysfunctional as Jersey. Hopefully that's not the case, and it does seem like the drive-till-you-qualify development has slowed down considerably from the pace it was at ten years ago.

It's already happening. To me, PA isn't much different. Same with the Carolinas...overrun with Yankees and development and the last place I want to go. If I was staying on the East Coast I'd head up to northern New England or the Daks.

I remember when NJ was actually a nice place that people moved TO as opposed to fleeing from. My parents moved from NYC in the '60s. Now I'm leaving as fast as I can. I want a real change in scenery. I'm packing up and heading to the Rockies..Idaho and Utah along with Colorado tops the list but I'm keeping an open mind. I just hope that they don't hate people from NJ as much as the California transplants.

I love and want snow but if dry and sunny is what I'm in store for I can deal with it because I also love to backpack/hike/camp and kayak. Anything is better than the wet, damp winters and hot humid rainy spring/summers here in NJ. I hate rain and humidity with a passion. Everyone says "but you are near the beach". I could care less about the beach. I've always loved mountains and fresh water..you can keep the salt water and sand.

I'm just looking forward to a change in lifestyle and to get the hell out of NJ. Been wanting to leave for years. I'm only hear until my kids graduate and they are moving out too.

Wavewheeler

Ok, in any case, this week looks like some great skiing weather. No more vacationers and temps look to be in the warm 20s-30s the rest of the week. Going to take my daughter skiing tomorrow at Blue Mountain (she can only do a day trip) then head up to Belleayre on Friday and do some cross country skiing at Minnewaska on Saturday. If it's nice next week I'll do it again!

Last year the season lasted well into spring. My daughter and I headed up to Killington in mid March on her "spring break" to do some great skiing after they received record snowfall. You never know, some of the biggest storms have been in March and with moderating temperatures the resorts will probably pick up.

Wavewheeler

I've said it before and I'll say it again - no matter how much you spend on gear, skiing with younger children on super cold days is a REAL challenge. I don't blame people for feeling like it's not worth the hassle.

I was lucky in that my daughter is a real trooper. When she was 12 we went up to Windham and the TEMPERATURE was -30. We were watching The Weather Channel and I said "Do you really want to ski in this?" She insisted so we got her geared up properly and spent the day skiing. High temperature that day was around 0 degrees. What a great kid...she never complains. She should be a Marine. :razz:

She went with her college buddies skiing over Christmas break at Camelback in what single digits-teens and was giving everyone who wasn't going skiing because of the cold a hard time. That's my girl! :thumbup:

Wavewheeler

I guess you're not looking at the same forecast I'm looking at for Thurs.-Fri.
\

I'm further south than you so maybe it doesn't look bad? Tomorrow (Wed) supposed to hit 30. Sun and mid teens-20s is what's called for on Thursday-Friday with little wind.. Getting into high 20s on Saturday. I'll be going to Belleayre Friday and X country skiing Saturday.

steamboat1

\

I'm further south than you so maybe it doesn't look bad? Tomorrow (Wed) supposed to hit 30. Sun and mid teens-20s is what's called for on Thursday-Friday with little wind.. Getting into high 20s on Saturday. I'll be going to Belleayre Friday and X country skiing Saturday.
After a little warm up tomorrow Thurs. high 4 Fri. high 10. At least that's the forecast for my corner of ski country. Wanted to go up today but I'm bagging it for this week. Hopefully temps will moderate a little next week so I can ski Mon.-Fri. I got some making up to do.

dlague

I was lucky in that my daughter is a real trooper. When she was 12 we went up to Windham and the TEMPERATURE was -30. We were watching The Weather Channel and I said "Do you really want to ski in this?" She insisted so we got her geared up properly and spent the day skiing. High temperature that day was around 0 degrees. What a great kid...she never complains. She should be a Marine. :razz:

She went with her college buddies skiing over Christmas break at Camelback in what single digits-teens and was giving everyone who wasn't going skiing because of the cold a hard time. That's my girl! :thumbup:

My 12 year old is the same, the cold does not bother him much - and this season he has come to expect it. A day in the teens seems warm.

Last edited:

Jcb890

Was I the only one out shoveling/snow-blowing this past Sunday and thought "This is shorts weather!" Haha!

We were up at Mount Snow on Saturday the 21st and on the way up there the thermometer in the truck was reading -15. It had warmed up to around 0 when we got there. It was sunny all day and not much wind. Then, the temperature went up when the snow came in. Sure, it sucked driving almost double the amount of time it normally takes to get home, but it was worth it. Snow was fantastic and the weather all day was really good due to low winds and the sun mostly being out.

Bring on the cold and snow!

dlague

Was I the only one out shoveling/snow-blowing this past Sunday and thought "This is shorts weather!" Haha!

We were up at Mount Snow on Saturday the 21st and on the way up there the thermometer in the truck was reading -15. It had warmed up to around 0 when we got there. It was sunny all day and not much wind. Then, the temperature went up when the snow came in. Sure, it sucked driving almost double the amount of time it normally takes to get home, but it was worth it. Snow was fantastic and the weather all day was really good due to low winds and the sun mostly being out.

Bring on the cold and snow!

Sunday evening I was out there in a short sleeve shirt and sweating just shoveling about 3 storms worth of snow.

Wavewheeler

This past Sunday it was sunny and in the 40s and I was sweating bullets shoveling snow. I was working in sunny and 20 degrees and actually turned off the heater in my truck because it felt warm.

Yesterday skied in perfect mid 30s, party sunny weather at Blue Mountain, Pa. It was awesome! Perfect late winter skiing conditions with packed powder, no wind. :thumbup:

Today it's colder and supposed to be sunny, in the teens with little wind up in the Catskills tomorrow and Saturday. I will take it! Would I like it 10 degrees warmer? Yes, but with sun and no wind it'll be just fine.

The weather is warming up. Down by me (at the Jersey Shore) the trend is for 40 degrees early next week. Fortunately it's staying colder up north so I'm hoping to get another ski outing in next week as well. It's only a matter of time though before I'll have to head even further north if I want to have fun in snow though. Eventually the white will turn wet.. :( :thumbdown:

Wavewheeler

My 12 year old is the same, the cold does not bother him much - and this season he has come to expect it. A day in the teens seems warm.

My daughter is now 20 and we were talking about that -30 degree day. We laughed over it and recalled how the car wasn't happy about starting the tires went '*thump, thump, thump* all the way down the road on the way to the slopes. She asked me "How did you get me to go skiing in that?" I said "How did I get YOU out? You wanted to go out in it!" She laughed and said "I must've been nuts, you'd never get me out in that now. It's be a 'sit in the jacuzzi and drink beer day :beer:'. "

They grow up so fast.. ;)