Day ski trip advice from Boston? - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tons of tree skiing both on map and off. Cannon and Wildcat are probably the two most challenging mountains in NH.

Minimal to no lift lines at both areas as well. Loon is much more busy, but probably better than the other two for intermediate terrain.

Thanks, dead. How come Cannon is so under the radar? I've never heard of it until I read that NYTimes article I linked here. I've heard of Wildcat number of times riding up with random people on the chairlift. Given Cannon is almost an hour closer than Wildcat, I'm leaning towards going there, now. I guess Wildcat does have better trails overall.

Lift access is a little goofy at Cannon. If skiing the right side of the mountain (where I'd probably want to spend most of my time by the looks of the map) you need two chairlifts to reach the summit.

Quote Originally Posted by Root16 View Post
    Thanks, dead. How come Cannon is so under the radar? I've never heard of it until I read that NYTimes article I linked here. I've heard of Wildcat number of times riding up with random people on the chairlift. Given Cannon is almost an hour closer than Wildcat, I'm leaning towards going there, now. I guess Wildcat does have better trails overall.

Lift access is a little goofy at Cannon. If skiing the right side of the mountain (where I'd probably want to spend most of my time by the looks of the map) you need two chairlifts to reach the summit.
    Apparently you do not drive up the 93 often since the front 5 (7) are pretty obvious.

Actually you can take the Tram to the summit. Cannon has pods that are interesting. The Zoomer chair can keep you busy with come decent glades and steeps and there are other trails off that that are intermediates.

Peabody chair provides access to many intermediate trails which can be combined with runs leading to the Front 5. Then by taking the summit chair and lapping it you have access to a bunch of really fun runs and some tight glades. Combine summit runs with trails off Peabody then heading to the Front trails - you have the makings of true leg burning runs that you will feel the next day!

2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Wildcat is also great in that everything ends up at one base area. Consider this another vote.

Check out magic in a vt. I believe that might also be within your day-trip range. It's another mountain with one base area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Savemeasammy View Post
    Wildcat is also great in that everything ends up at one base area. Consider this another vote.

Check out magic in a vt. I believe that might also be within your day-trip range. It's another mountain with one base area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Magic also has a nice mix of trails although it is a bit smaller than the NH areas being considered.

Wildcat's a great place with a good variety of trails but IMO it pushes the day trip limit a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Root16 View Post

Wildcat is mainly a top to bottom type skiing mountain. IMO it has the single best chairlift in the East. At 2100+ vert each run between chair rides it can get taxing for some people. (myself included).

Cannon you ski more in "pods" unless you're skiing the Tram as dlague points out. So, you take it in in shorter runs. More than likely you and your friend would be spending most of your time off the Cannonball chair. Zoomer terrain is fantastic too, but very short. While not as long as Wildcat's trails, Vista, Upper Cannon, Ravine and Skylight are all absolutely fantastic classic New England ski trails off the summit.

Cannon flies under the radar because it is perceived as being cold, icy and challenging. Same goes for Wildcat. Both reputations are warranted. That said, when you catch either when the conditions are right they can't be beat as far as NH skiing goes IMO.

Traveling from Boston, Cannon makes far more sense as a day trip destination.

One other thing about Windcat (I typed this and meant Wildcat but I thought it may be appropriate) is that the trails are west-facing, so even on a colder day later in the season the sun exposure is real nice.

I guess I'd have to question Wildcat's reputation as just being challenging. There are at least a few true greens, one from the top, and I didn't find the blues I skied on as being much more difficult. The challenge is definitely there but there are also trails where one can throttle back for a bit.

I guess I should have elaborated a bit more. Wildcat's trails can be challenging mainly because of the icy conditions. In terms of actual trails, Hairball is legit, Al's and stretches of the Lift lines are challenging. The rest is indeed fairly mellow pitched.

Off map, I'd put the challenges available at Wildcat on par with any ski area in New England.

As a day trip weekend warrior living in Boston, I would second Cannon. I love Wildcat, but it's almost an hour longer drive than Cannon. The weather at Cannon can be difficult. Be ready to bail for Waterville or Bretton Woods if the forecast even mentions wind.

Also, beware of speed traps everywhere in NH.

Thread Information