• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Douchebag litterbugs

skiNEwhere

There are only two things that are acceptable to throw/sling off a chairlift, and that's bra or panties onto a bra tree

Or if you're in Jackson, old ski boots onto the boot tree by the union pass lift. That made me lol

ceo

Most people bring a gear bag, particularly if they're day tripping. Resorts need to deal with that. I really like the dedicated boot-up/gear storage room at Sugarbush. Cannon and Sugarloaf both have a ton of shelves and cubbies and stuff still piles up under tables.

I've always taken it for granted that one person at an 8-top isn't claiming the entire table unless their family is in the lunch line at that moment (and you can usually tell by the pile of helmets and gloves on the table). Don't think I've ever had someone try to insist otherwise. Maybe I lead a charmed life.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Crotched Mountain has a great boot up and bag storage area in their lodge too. It is probably the single ugliest ski base lodge in New England, but it also might be the best functioning.

Wavewheeler

This thread is starting to read like an advertisement for backcountry skiing...

It's why I took up backpacking..because you get the same behavior at campgrounds. :thumbdown:

I hate litterbugs. I can't understand why you would go out into the woods or up a mountain to enjoy a beautiful day being outdoors and then just trash it. I often munch on a snack while skiing/hiking and I put the wrapper in my pocket when I'm done. I couldn't imagine just tossing it on the ground. :-x

The kayaking and hiking clubs around here often have "clean up" days in the springtimes. Perhaps the ski resorts should have the same and offer vouchers for lift tickets to those that volunteer to clean up after the snow melts.

I go midweek so it's never so crowded that I can't find a place to sit down in the lodge. As for myself, I always get a locker. I bring a backpack that has my helmet, goggles, ski lock, gloves, masks, etc and a change of clothes for the drive home. It all fits in the locker without a problem.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

High maintenance? No. Prepared so I'm comfortable out on the hill no matter the weather instead of hanging out in New Jersey and bitching about the cold? Yes

I've never wanted for any extra clothes. I view the current weather, and I dress appropriately. I dont need a 4-piece luggage set in the lodge, not to mention, that seems like a huge P.I.T.A.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
There was a wonderful public service ad on TV that showed a bunch of people cringing as they walked by some litter. Finally, one man walks over, picks up the piece of litter and deposits it in a garbage can. Problem solved. For all the suggestions, this is the only one that I see work consistently. Since best estimates are that less than 5% of skiers are litterers. If 5% of skiers take on picking up a few things per day from the hills, problem solved.

BTW, cigarette filters take 5 years to break down according to some sources I read. At my home area, it was reported that thousands of cigarette filters are picked up in the spring, mostly from under chairlifts, at chairlift exits and around the main lodge. It becomes most disgusting in the spring when the snow starts to melt.

Wavewheeler

I've never wanted for any extra clothes. I view the current weather, and I dress appropriately. I dont need a 4-piece luggage set in the lodge, not to mention, that seems like a huge P.I.T.A.

I bring extra gloves, socks and an extra ski mask, along with things like aspirin, lip balm, reading glasses in a backpack that's always packed and ready to go for when I take a trip. I like a change of clothes if I'm driving 2-3 hours home or going out to dinner afterwards. It all goes in the backpack, which goes into a locker. I guess it's the backpacker in me that goes light. ;)

As for littering, I live in an apartment complex and it amazes me how many of my neighbors litter. They leave cans, wrappers and just stuff all around the complex. I know some of it blows from the garbage but a lot is just there by the curb. :thumbdown: We LIVE here for chrissakes! People are such pigs. I often find myself picking up the litter because I can't stand looking at it.

Last edited:

Wavewheeler

Here's an example of some disgusting behavior::sadwalk: I saw this right next to Pine Meadow Lake at Harriman Park. This is a popular destination because it's a fairly easy hike so a lot of day trippers come to picnic here and then decided that they just CAN'T take the trash out that they bring in so they dump it here. I just can't imagine why people come to enjoy a beautiful place and decide to uglify it by littering. They probably complain about bears too. What a bunch of asshats. :angry:

Attachments

• 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 66

deadheadskier

Staff member

Jesus dude, as someone who talks like you practically invented meteorology, I'd think you'd know that conditions on a mountain can change drastically throughout the ski day.

And talk about hyperbole. We're talking about the size pack you see people wearing everyday while they actually ski. I could do that, I but don't like the feel of a pack on my back while I'm on the hill.

To each their own. You have all these items yes? I store them in the bag full time after washing. Whether it be at home between trips, on a day trip or if I'm heading to the mountain for a couple of days or more. Bag comes out of the closet, into the car, then out of the car and into the lodge. Easier to carry than a set of skis. Pretty darn simple to have access to all that I might need no matter the weather within as much time/hassle as it takes to walk into the lodge and take a leak.

But, hey, suit yourself. You seem to spend a lot of time at home skipping skiing early season complaining the snow isn't good enough or throughout the middle of the season when you deem 5 degrees too cold. And you call others high maintenance? okayyyyyy

hammer

I carry a Transpack bag and put my boots on in the lodge. Would be too awkward to boot up from the back of the car. I tend to overpack (Boy Scout approach) but all that does is make my bag heavier...doesn't really affect the space it takes up in the lodge.

I remember skiing in UT and the only other folks I saw with Transpack bags were from New England. Looked like most people booted up in their condo.

MadMadWorld

Jesus dude, as someone who talks like you practically invented meteorology, I'd think you'd know that conditions on a mountain can change drastically throughout the ski day.

And talk about hyperbole. We're talking about the size pack you see people wearing everyday while they actually ski. I could do that, I but don't like the feel of a pack on my back while I'm on the hill.

To each their own. You have all these items yes? I store them in the bag full time after washing. Whether it be at home between trips, on a day trip or if I'm heading to the mountain for a couple of days or more. Bag comes out of the closet, into the car, then out of the car and into the lodge. Easier to carry than a set of skis. Pretty darn simple to have access to all that I might need no matter the weather within as much time/hassle as it takes to walk into the lodge and take a leak.

But, hey, suit yourself. You seem to spend a lot of time at home skipping skiing early season complaining the snow isn't good enough or throughout the middle of the season when you deem 5 degrees too cold. And you call others high maintenance? okayyyyyy

All valid points. Plus we know you only ski the gnarliest of gnar so where else are you going to put the tranceiver, shovel, etc.

Wavewheeler

I carry a Transpack bag and put my boots on in the lodge. Would be too awkward to boot up from the back of the car. I tend to overpack (Boy Scout approach) but all that does is make my bag heavier...doesn't really affect the space it takes up in the lodge.

I remember skiing in UT and the only other folks I saw with Transpack bags were from New England. Looked like most people booted up in their condo.

My daughter boots in the parking lot when she skis with her friends. She keeps all the gear in the car and boots up in the parking lot. She's a poor college student and doesn't want to spring for the locker. Often I find it to be a long walk from my car to the lodge and I find it easier to carry everything, often over icy surfaces in the parking lot, if I have my regular boots on so I'll pay the $5 for the locker. With a backpack I have my hands free to carry my skis and boots and make just one trip.

Last edited:

Bene288

I can top that. And I don't mean to be Topper. Some goofball left a very large bag on top of a lunch table. I moved it off the table so everyone could fit. This big oaf came back and said, "who moved my bag?" I said that I did, we needed room. He raised his voice and said "Don't touch my bag! DON'T TOUCH MY BAG!" He had to be in his 20s. What a baby. Mommy, he took my toy!!

"Lighten up, Francis"

deadheadskier

Staff member
My daughter does that when she skis. She keeps all the gear in the car and boots up in the parking lot. She's a poor college student and doesn't want to spring for the locker. Often I find it to be a long walk from my car to the lodge and I find it easier to carry everything, often over icy surfaces in the parking lot, if I have my regular boots on so I'll pay the $5 for the locker. With a backpack I have my hands free to carry my skis and boots and make just one trip.

I booted up in the car during college and for a couple years after while living in Stowe. It was a bit different than my current scenario of 2+ hour day trips 90% of the time I ski. There I'd always park in the middle Gondola parking lot. That lot is ski in, ski out. I'd have anything extra I might need in the car.....as well as beers, grill, and tailgating supplies.

C-Rex

Pack it in, pack it out. Simple enough. As a former smoker, I agree that most smokers are pretty oblivious when it comes to throwing butts around. I look at it this way: If I wouldn't do it on my own property, why would I do it anywhere else?

Back to the lodge thing. I usually only bring a bag in if the resort offers free bag checking. I don't like leaving my stuff out. I know theft is rare, but my gear is like my children. It cost me a lot of money and I am very attached to it. I'll leave my boots out. If someone really wants my stinky, beat up old timberlands, they can have them. I get them free from work anyway. I'd just be annoyed having to drive home in just socks.

I have a Burton Heli-pack that is slim enough to not be a bother when riding, but fits enough stuff to not need the lodge or trips to the car. I usually carry water, some clif bars, a spare pair of gloves, spare lens, multi-tool, and maybe an extra layer if I'm not sure about the weather. If I'm at a big resort where a lot of traversing may be necessary, I'll pack my collapsible poles. I like riding with a pack now that I'm used to it. Besides having my stuff with me, it also protects my back in a fall and keeps it warm on lifts without backrest padding.

Wavewheeler

I booted up in the car during college and for a couple years after while living in Stowe. It was a bit different than my current scenario of 2+ hour day trips 90% of the time I ski. There I'd always park in the middle Gondola parking lot. That lot is ski in, ski out. I'd have anything extra I might need in the car.....as well as beers, grill, and tailgating supplies.

I'm a lot like that with my car. All season I've been driving around with my snowshoes, hiking poles and a day trip backpack in the rear seat just in case I want to do some snowshoeing. Not to mention the usual tools (toolbox, jumper cables, battery charger, collapsible shovel) plus extra clothes, flashlight, blanket, food/water in case I get stuck someplace.

In the summer I have my beach chair, towels and blanket taking up residence in the back seat. You never know when you might need them. Come in handy. :)

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
keep beach chair, umbrella and towel in my car during summer as well. tennis equipment too

BenedictGomez

Here's an example of some disgusting behavior::sadwalk: I saw this right next to Pine Meadow Lake at Harriman Park. This is a popular destination because it's a fairly easy hike so a lot of day trippers come to picnic here and then decided that they just CAN'T take the trash out that they bring in so they dump it here. I just can't imagine why people come to enjoy a beautiful place and decide to uglify it by littering. They probably complain about bears too. What a bunch of asshats. :angry:

This is a common thing, people go to state and county parks or remote sections of roads to dump trash. I don't understand why on earth someone would do this. WTH wrong with their garbage can? Luckily NJF&G has been cracking down on this recently and has posted the info. The fines are sometimes small (TOO SMALL), but hopefully the public shaming campaign has an impact.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2015/02/8_arrested_for_illegal_dumping_in_nj_open_space_ar.html

So illogically angry.... about something so trivial....