• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Well this sucks...

Cannonball

I was going to say ice delivery but who would of thunk someone on here would know a milk guy

Can't remember the last time I heard of a travel agent. But we can't live without our milk man. Brings us coffee, milk, eggs, bread, juice. If he'd deliver beer and TP I'd never go into another store again.

Edd

Can't remember the last time I heard of a travel agent. But we can't live without our milk man. Brings us coffee, milk, eggs, bread, juice. If he'd deliver beer and TP I'd never go into another store again.

Really? I want a goddamn milkman. Actually, delivering beer and TP alone sounds like an excellent business model.

KevinF

I just got back from Jackson Hole.... Conditions are "firm" as they haven't seen significant snowfall in weeks. You could find good snow and you could find things that were atrocious.

That said, it was still fun... it's just not great conditions.

C-Rex

My question is did you not know what was open and not there? When I have big trip planned I can't help but check conditions almost daily starting several weeks out.

Of course we've been looking at the conditions, but 1) bagging the trip earlier would not have made our situation any better as far as refunds go. Red may even have kept the deposit if we made the call before them. and 2) March is USUALLY a good snow month for the northwest, so we were hoping for some late season storms.

We are looking to arrange something in CO as long as we don't have to shell out a ton of extra cash. If that's not doable, our plan is to hit Burke on Tuesday, stay in Newport, Jay on Wednesday, get a condo near Stowe and hit Bolton Valley on Thurs (CSC day), then Stowe on Friday (CSC day). For the weekend we'll go to Sugarbush and/or Smuggs. Then maybe back to Stowe for Monday if conditions are good. Maybe do a little backcountry exploring and whatnot.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of doing a northern VT tour.

frapcap

We had to cancel a trip out to Tahoe a couple of year ago due to no snow. That really blew. Thankfully that was the first time I ever bought travel insurance. $150 well spend to get my flights, car, and accommodations paid back in full.

A Northern VT trip would be pretty awesome, especially mid week. You could get away with 2 days at SB and/or Smuggs. Especially with the snow they've both had this year.

C-Rex

Yaaaayyyyy!!!!

I'm going to Jackson Hole!!! My main man, Ken, at Great Events and Escapes worked his magic, pulled some strings, and twisted arms to get us rebooked for next week. We're now going to Jackson 18th thru the 25th and it's not costing us a dime more. In fact, he's SAVING us a little cash.

If anyone is looking to book a trip I highly recommend Great Events and Escapes. This nightmare of bad luck turned into a snowboarding dream, and I didn't even have to make a phone call. I've worked with these guys for a few years now, organizing trip for my ski club, and it's always been a pleasant and stress free experience. You tell them what you want and they'll get it done.

Sorry for the plug, but I think they earned it!

C-Rex

I was really on the fence between NoVT and going west. I just can't pass up a trip to Jackson, even if it's spring conditions. My guy worked his ass off to get us big discounts so I'd feel bad passing it up now. NoVT might get some snow this weekend so I might be missing out on a powder day, but otherwise it's going to be spring conditions everywhere. Spring out west > Spring in New England, IMO.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I have not skied either Red nor Jackson, however it sounds like this worked out better than you initially planned. Plenty people say JH is the best ski mountain on the continent.

HowieT2

I'm going to Jackson Hole!!! My main man, Ken, at Great Events and Escapes worked his magic, pulled some strings, and twisted arms to get us rebooked for next week. We're now going to Jackson 18th thru the 25th and it's not costing us a dime more. In fact, he's SAVING us a little cash.

If anyone is looking to book a trip I highly recommendGreat Events and Escapes. This nightmare of bad luck turned into a snowboarding dream, and I didn't even have to make a phone call. I've worked with these guys for a few years now, organizing trip for my ski club, and it's always been a pleasant and stress free experience. You tell them what you want and they'll get it done.

Sorry for the plug, but I think they earned it!

I want minimum 3 feet of blower pow. if they can get that done, they'll have a customer for life.:thumbup:

C-Rex

I have not skied either Red nor Jackson, however it sounds like this worked out better than you initially planned. Plenty people say JH is the best ski mountain on the continent.

Yep, as Plan B's go, this one is pretty damned good! Haha!

Brad J

i was there Feb 26- March 2, Had great cover , needed fresh snow , great place, just needed some fresh or warm up to be skiable all over

mikestaple

I think WY, CO, and NM started to got bombed with snow at the end of President's Day week. So, their seasons have been salvaged - a little.

North - Sun Valley and Big Sky - and Utah are still thin.

skiNEwhere

For the record, while CO and NM got bombed with snow at the end of feb, Jackson did NOT. When I left on March 3rd, the snow was really firm

Cornhead

For the record, while CO and NM got bombed with snow at the end of feb, Jackson did NOT. When I left on March 3rd, the snow was really firm

Boy did I F up. My original plan was to do the Snowsports Week at Taos 3/1-3/7. I decided to skip NM, and ski CO the next week. As luck would have it, bad luck, Taos got 44" on 2/28, the day before my clinic was to start. I did ski Taos a week later it didn't suck by any means, but oh what could've been.
1426290469579.jpg
1426290527622.jpg
Consolation prize, soft bumps on Kachina, didn't suck, but Holy shit, that's a lotta bumps!