• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whiteface?

BenedictGomez

I was there yesterday.

It exceeded my expectations, though my expectations werent sky high. If you know the mountain, the usual suspects had some icy spots, but all-in-all the place was packed powder and fine. Wilmington trail was a lot of fun. Some of the glades were closed, but the glades that were open seemed fine. 10th Mountain glades were a lot of fun. Dunno how much longer it's all gonna' hold without some snow though, they could really use a 6" refresher

Smellytele

I was there yesterday.

It exceeded my expectations, though my expectations werent sky high. If you know the mountain, the usual suspects had some icy spots, but all-in-all the place was packed powder and fine. Wilmington trail was a lot of fun. Some of the glades were closed, but the glades that were open seemed fine. 10th Mountain glades were a lot of fun. Dunno how much longer it's all gonna' hold without some snow though, they could really use a 6" refresher

Thanks BG

Smellytele

Picked up a couple of inches in squall on Sunday. Cloudspin was a blast. Woods are nice. Warmer temps making everything soft and the Slides opened today. You're going to have a good time.

Slides are open - Silver Conditions (with Buddy & Beacon, Probe, Shovel required).
Wish I had a beacon...:uzi:

BenedictGomez

Slides are open - Silver Conditions (with Buddy & Beacon, Probe, Shovel required).
Wish I had a beacon...:uzi:

I'm convinced that policy exists solely for liability reasons, and to weed out lower-intermediate knuckleheads from wandering in there.

Rowsdower

Except where he was, you actually need avalanche gear.

There have been avalanches on The Slides. They're rare but they do happen. I suppose if there's any possibility then they have to make avalanche gear a req for liability reasons. On the off chance somebody died or got hurt there the first thing a lawyer would point out is that it was an area with a known risk for avalanches. Gotta cover your butt.

Grizzly Adams

Im not very familiar with Whiteface but skied there with a local last year, he knows the mountain well and we hit the Slides without any special gear, in fact wasn't even aware they had policies like this, assumed it was "ski at your own risk" like most other off-piste areas. It makes sense to require avy gear at some mountains where there is more risk involved but I dont really see the need for it up there.