• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What is you lift ticket strategy?

How do you manage cost to ski or snowboard?

• Costs are irrelevant

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Deal Hunter

Votes: 27 39.1%
  • Season Pass Holder

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • Season Pass Holder / Deal Hunter

Votes: 21 30.4%
  • Season Pass Holder / Not concerned about costs

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Work at resort or industry related business

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Volunteer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

dlague

What is your lift ticket strategy?

I think this forum represents a pool of avid skiers and snowboarders. I was curious about the approach that is taken to get your ski days in. I assume there are those who are not concerned about costs, others that are deal hunters and others who buys season passes. It maybe even a combo?

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Usually a cheap local pass and then discount cards / vouchers. I'll typically spend about a third of my days at my "home hill" and spread the rest around. I try and keep my total pass and lift ticket cost around $800.

This year I did not buy a pass and probably have spent about $600 on 22 days out.

SkiFanE

We buy passes for family. Then if we go elsewhere, we pay. But we rarely go elsewhere, just not enough $ after dedicating to one place. But when I go to K for spring skiing, they give me 25% of ticket price b/c I have a pass elsewhere. Usually it's $35. Husband goes on an annual trip to Jay with his buddies, he'll get discount with our season pass. We are good skiers, and ski where we want, not because it will save us a few $. I remember pre-kids we got free tix to Gunstock. We felt so shafted, wasted an excellent ski day on a non-challenging place. So we went to the cheap pub and got liquored up and had fun the rest of the day. Seems when you're looking for deals you may have to give up something. (sorry to all you Gunstock lovers...).

steamboat1

Season pass, pre purchased discount coupons & other discounts. I've yet to pay more than $50 for a days skiing. Daily price for season pass is already down to $25 per day with over 2 months left to go. Unlike others here I also have to take lodging costs into consideration.

ironhippy

I have a season pass at my local hill.

The vast majority of the places I ski are small and have cheap lift tickets so I don't look for deals because the small hills need the money more than I do and it's not that much to begin with.

I am going to Mount Saint Anne in April and have already purchased full priced lift tickets because I couldn't find any deals, but I also don't really know where to look (checked litfopia)

4aprice

I have a strategy that fits where I live. I basically ski in 3 regions, 1. Utah/Colorado, 2. Vermont/New Hampshire, and 3. Camelback in the Pocono's. So I get a pass @ Camelback and deal hunt (as best I can) for the other 2 regions. Pretty much ski every weekend from Thanksgiving to tax day so I can't complain.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

steamboat1

Exchange rate is favorable now. Hope you took advantage of it. Also save your receipts, you can get reimbursed for taxes payed at the duty free shop at the border crossing on I-91.

I am canadian! I get none of that! ;)
Nevermind!

attachment.php

Attachments

• editorialreply.png
    editorialreply.png
    103.6 KB · Views: 241

xwhaler

Deal Hunter as I like both the cost savings and the variety. + the "thrill of the hunt" in finding the deals has been fun for me!

Some days I only have the AM to ski so hunting deals to smaller places nearby like Crotched, Pats, Whaleback, Gunstock etc. makes me able to do that.
Should end the season approaching 40 days and 22+ unique mtns at a cost of around $18/day.
I think if you look at my signature you can see my mix of mountains runs the gamut which I like.

C-Rex

I put deal hunter, which I am, but really it's mostly my club. It kills me when people act like they can't decide if joining is a good idea or not. If you ski once, alone, it pays for itself! Guys will buy new skis every year and then get all tight-assed when it comes to plopping down $25 for a club membership.

ThinkSnow

I have a season pass at my local hill.

The vast majority of the places I ski are small and have cheap lift tickets so I don't look for deals because the small hills need the money more than I do and it's not that much to begin with.

I am going to Mount Saint Anne in April and have already purchased full priced lift tickets because I couldn't find any deals, but I also don't really know where to look (checked litfopia)

because the only deal I could find was with lodging/lift tickets

Two things you could try: 1) Call Mont Sainte Anne and ask if they give discounts for pass holders of other ski areas (many areas do)
2) Contact the companies which include lodging to see if they sell lift tickets alone. They already have a contract with the mountain for group discounts, so its possible they might do that.

steamboat1

I put deal hunter, which I am, but really it's mostly my club. It kills me when people act like they can't decide if joining is a good idea or not. If you ski once, alone, it pays for itself! Guys will buy new skis every year and then get all tight-assed when it comes to plopping down $25 for a club membership.
My club costs $200 per year for dues & maintenance fees. Save a lot more than that in reduced lodging costs, not to mention ski club discount days. Haven't purchased ski club bulk ticket discounts in years but they are also available.