• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail Reports "Banner" Second Quarter Earnings

thetrailboss

Staff member

ironhippy

And this fact is crazy:

WOW, that's very impressive

I gotta admit, I gave them too much to ski in Colorado this December.

Kind of worried if this will turn into the Walmarting of ski hills though. It'll be harder and harder for the smaller owners to compete when every other hill is under one pass or another...

wa-loaf

Maybe they'll lower ticket prices .... hahahahaha I crack myself up ...

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
WOW, that's very impressive

I gotta admit, I gave them too much to ski in Colorado this December.

Kind of worried if this will turn into the Walmarting of ski hills though. It'll be harder and harder for the smaller owners to compete when every other hill is under one pass or another...

I don't understand this, and I've heard it before. The same people who go to a small mom & pop hill aren't going to ANY Vail Resort. However, I do see mid-sized companies getting squeezed out, like Peaks and Boyne. But the giants (Vail and Intrawest) don't pose a threat to the little guys since the clientele is completely different.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I don't understand this, and I've heard it before. The same people who go to a small mom & pop hill aren't going to ANY Vail Resort. However, I do see mid-sized companies getting squeezed out, like Peaks and Boyne. But the giants (Vail and Intrawest) don't pose a threat to the little guys since the clientele is completely different.

Hence why Boyne and POWDR have the MAX Pass.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

jaytrem

I think Intrawest is a lot closer in size to Peaks/Boyne than it is to Vail these days. I think Vail is in a class by itself at this point. But they will sell you a somewhat cheap ticket if you commit to skiing a good amount of days at their resorts.

ironhippy

Yeah, that's a good point, I hadn't really thought it out fully. I can see some people choosing one hill over another because they already have a pass that covers a the other hill that is close by, however those people are not making or breaking the ski hills today.

I do have to say, I have skied at 2 Vail resorts this year, but my season pass is to a hill that is owned by a single family (who are currently in the process of selling.. but it is currently a mom and pop place!)

skiNEwhere

If you think about it, the exorbitant $159 lift ticket is actually good for the little hills. For those skiers that don't buy an epic pass, this is there only option. I hear that ski cooper is doing pretty well with there ~$50 lift ticket. I skied loveland too on Monday and it was pretty crowded as well (relatively speaking, of course)