• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your top 3 places in North America to ski/snowboard

C-Rex

Rules are they must be lift serviced and open to the public.

Mine, just from what I've heard and read, in no particular order

Jackson Hole
Big Sky
Kicking Horse

mikestaple

I'll just go with the three I've visited out West.

Big Sky - epic in so many ways
Steamboat - those trees. The dry powder. Fun layout (no real steeps though - which is fine with me).
Sun Valley - rip, rip, rip, rip, rip, those steep groomers, the history, and their Taj Mahal facilities are amazing

bdfreetuna

Berkshire East, Jay Peak, and the new Balsam's Wilderness

Before Scotty gets in here I'll toss in Plattekill too

jaytrem

Tough question, for some reason the 1st 2 are easier than the 3rd for me...

Discovery, MT
Silver Star, BC

and...

Big Sky

Cannonball

I don't know how to answer. I feel like the places I pick would be based on my on experience or connection vs what is truly the 'best'. But I'll try anyway.

- Blackcomb/Whistler (in that order): This is one that would be on the list no matter what.
- Copper: Special place for me because I worked there. Could easily make anyone's objective list, but so could (Steamboat, A Basin, MJ, etc, etc)
- Alyeska: Had an insanely perfect time there. But it could be terrible if you hit conditions wrong

But how do I dismiss: Snowbird, Brighton, Baker, Jay, Sugarbush, Wildcat, Cannon, ....ugh!

dlague

Pats peak
Crotched
McIntyre

oh wait that is a different list

Whistler Blackcomb
Revelstoke
Kicking Horse

xwhaler

Based only on places I've been
Alta/Snowbird: 2 resorts but blends into 1 for me when I was there in high school 15 yrs ago
Saddleback ME
Smugglers Notch

Honorable mentions: Whistler/Blackcomb, Cannon, MRG, Magic

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've only skied Colorado as far as out west is concerned.

1. Aspen Highlands
2. A-Basin
3. Ajax

SkiingInABlueDream

Perhaps more interesting I think would be why people chose their 3 places over other places, and also what places they've not been to. Because for example if you've never been to Jackson Hole then it's not on your list, but not because it's not a personal top 3.
But I guess on the other hand if you haven't chosen to go somewhere, then that automatically implies it's not a top 3.

shrug.

Last edited:

SkiingInABlueDream

my 3:
Jackson Hole > first non-northeast mountain I ever skied. It was both humbling and encouraging. And I got lucky with weather both times.
Fernie > inexplicable something about the terrain & layout of the area. Interior BC "vibe".
Taos > terrain & layout. old-school-resort vibe.

top 3 to-do's:
- Telluride
- Big Sky
- Tahoe-area tour
- interior BC cat skiing + (re-)visit to Red Mtn.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
My 3
Jackson Hole - What a Western mountain should be. Big, steep, and make your jaw hit the floor at every turn.
A-Basin - Loved the vibe here. It being small by Western standards is the only knock against it.
Alta/Snowbird - I went this Jan in a crappy snow year, but it's not hard to see the appeal. Whereas Jackson has everything laid out to see, these two are very craggy with lots of nooks and crannies. Simultaneously interesting and frustrating. I did experience some of the pretentious Alta "get off my lawn" types.

Top 3 To-Do:
-Powder Highway (Kicking Horse, Revelstoke, Fernie)
-Silverton - Less people on the mountain than inches of annual snowfall. What's not to love about that?
-Big Sky - For some reason I get the feeling it'll be a lot like Jackson. Huge and in your face, but with fewer people.