• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any crust in the Jay area BC after wed?

loki357

anyone been in the Jay area BC since the warm up the other day? did it crust? looking to tour this weekend...
Thanks!

kingdom-tele

South facing slopes are getting the normal March sun crust even with the low temps but all North facing slopes are still mid winter conditions. The winds on Tues/Wed really pushed it around, hiking NW facing slopes on stout wind slab and some exposed suncrust. But the Northeast drainages were boot top powder with knee deep drift slabs. Some variable punchiness but great skiing. Enjoy, snow depths are deep, limb management becoming more of an issue than whats under your feet.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
We don't have the same Beta as Kingdom-tele. We were in the woods all day Thursday. For us, all the woods were in play, most all of upper glades were tracked, but with plenty of loose, wonderfully dry pow. ZERO crust. We didn't see any scratchies and we covered the whole range from east to west. The boot stuff we found was only in the lower angle woods, which could be challenging to get any reasonable speed on. We didn't go deep into any drainage ruts. We had zero problems with base depth, and almost never touched anything beneath other than snow. We went wherever we wanted to. Ditto the limbs. I got face bashed twice with some 1" branches; that was the worst of the day.

It's mid-winter conditions right now. Fantastic day. One AZer was skiing with such abandon he kept drifting way OOB and at one point needed to hitch a ride back to base! Get out by next Wednesday, that's when it seems a substantial warm up is possible.

loki357

That's great to hear. i'll take both! thanks! anyone else looking to tour in the area this weekend?

Kleetus

That's great to hear. i'll take both! thanks! anyone else looking to tour in the area this weekend?

I'm heading up early tomorrow AM for the day. Prob will be there at or before 9. Gray stitched jacket and blue pants. Drop me a PM if you want to make some turns in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

Woods all skied fantastic today. Peak winter conditions. Even the lower mountain stuff like Bucks Woods and Expo Glades were great.

HUGE contrast with Sugarbush's glades which were not very good yesterday.

Savemeasammy

Woods all skied fantastic today. Peak winter conditions. Even the lower mountain stuff like Bucks Woods and Expo Glades were great.

HUGE contrast with Sugarbush's glades which were not very good yesterday.

The glades at Smuggs were decent, but the underlying surface was pretty solid - so the bumps were pretty firm. Was it somewhat soft at Jay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kleetus

The glades at Smuggs were decent, but the underlying surface was pretty solid - so the bumps were pretty firm. Was it somewhat soft at Jay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jay was awesome today. Bumps were soft in the woods and pretty much everywhere. Powder is pretty much all tracked out but not firm at all. I will say the bumps on Powerline were starting to get a little scratchy but that was pretty much it.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone