• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best Terrain in the Pocono's

4aprice

Skied this morning up there. What ever they got they packed it in and it skied great. Helped the bumps out too, though they are more temperature dependent and it really wasn't warm up there. Still looks like they could go a long time and CBK is determind to get to 4/12.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

gorgonzola

so inquiring minds want to know - where'd you end up? blue ski'd great last night and this morning with 5-6" fresh and light / moderate crowds

〽❄❅

Skied this morning up there. What ever they got they packed it in and it skied great. Helped the bumps out too, though they are more temperature dependent and it really wasn't warm up there. Still looks like they could go a long time and CBK is determind to get to 4/12.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Not surprised, was there yesterday and expected it to ski well again today as they got a good deal of snow which wasn't the heavy wet heart attack snow i returned home to in Philly. Website claimed 6"+, i'd say that's accurate. Snowed all day, had slowed down and stopped for a while after 8pm, but resumed and was coming down pretty good by 9:45pm. Was going strong at 10pm when we finally left the lot.

Wasn't crowded and good conditions only improved as the day progressed with the icy base becoming less a issue. Plenty of little pow shots to be had at the sides of trails which were fun as was making turns in the deeper tossed around piles of snow on the steeper trails. No bumps up top but Margies and the Hump skied well. I found a very low angle bump field which was fun to practice on.

I have not been there in over 15 years. The new layout of the black's is a definite improvement, a shame the mountain isn't big enough for them to be longer.

What i didn't expect and was not happy about was inhaling terrible gas exhaust fumes from the lifts, both loading at the bottom and even unloading at the top of Sullivans Express lift and boarding Stevenson Express! The fumes made the motion sickness that came over me on the drive up 10x worse.

Ironically my car sickness is how we ended up there. We were headed to Blue Mt and feeling sick, i used my jacket as a pillow, closed my eyes and zoned out. My friend heard my iPhone giving directions but the blasting radio made them impossible to understand and he didn't wake me to ask what it was saying, or even just lower the radio volume:\ The next time i looked at the road i saw the sign for the Hickory Run Rest Stop, heading north coming from Philly! I asked my friend if he knew where he was going? He said, easy just follow the signs to Blue Mt...what signs i said!!!! lol. At that point we were closer to Camelback, so CB it was. lol.

Last edited:

j law

so inquiring minds want to know - where'd you end up? blue ski'd great last night and this morning with 5-6" fresh and light / moderate crowds

I pulled an audible and decided to go to Plattekill in the Cats. I love skiing the trees and knew there would be little tree skiing in the Pocono's (from what I've heard), and was worried Southern VT would be too firm after a cold night.

And I loved Plattekill... Trip report to be filed tomorrow morning when I sober up!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZonemmmmmm🔤🔤🔤🔤🔤

Domeskier

Skied Blue yesterday. The bumps were awesome. Skied them too long and hard and came away with serious leg cramps and bloody urine. I'm having something of an existential crisis. It is closer to to me than Sundown, has more bumps and they seed them the way I like.

Savemeasammy

Skied Blue yesterday. The bumps were awesome. Skied them too long and hard and came away with serious leg cramps and bloody urine. I'm having something of an existential crisis. It is closer to to me than Sundown, has more bumps and they seed them the way I like.

But... Your skis are ok, right??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4aprice

〽❄❅;897620 said:
Not surprised, was there yesterday and expected it to ski well again today as they got a good deal of snow which wasn't the heavy wet heart attack snow i returned home to in Philly. Website claimed 6"+, i'd say that's accurate. Snowed all day, had slowed down and stopped for a while after 8pm, but resumed and was coming down pretty good by 9:45pm. Was going strong at 10pm when we finally left the lot.

Wasn't crowded and good conditions only improved as the day progressed with the icy base becoming less a issue. Plenty of little pow shots to be had at the sides of trails which were fun as was making turns in the deeper tossed around piles of snow on the steeper trails. No bumps up top but Margies and the Hump skied well. I found a very low angle bump field which was fun to practice on.

I have not been there in over 15 years. The new layout of the black's is a definite improvement, a shame the mountain isn't big enough for them to be longer.

What i didn't expect and was not happy about was inhaling terrible gas exhaust fumes from the lifts, both loading at the bottom and even unloading at the top of Sullivans Express lift and boarding Stevenson Express! The fumes made the motion sickness that came over me on the drive up 10x worse.

Ironically my car sickness is how we ended up there. We were headed to Blue Mt and feeling sick, i used my jacket as a pillow, closed my eyes and zoned out. My friend heard my iPhone giving directions but the blasting radio made them impossible to understand and he didn't wake me to ask what it was saying, or even just lower the radio volume:\ The next time i looked at the road i saw the sign for the Hickory Run Rest Stop, heading north coming from Philly! I asked my friend if he knew where he was going? He said, easy just follow the signs to Blue Mt...what signs i said!!!! lol. At that point we were closer to Camelback, so CB it was. lol.

Sorry to hear about your sickness. They have been having trouble with
Stevenson this year and I would bet that was the culprit. Sullivan has been fine as far as I know.

It is true the runs are short but that's just something we accept. We enjoy the pitch off the top and yo-yo all day long.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

danimals

Elk posted this on Facebook. Its shame they won't open the damn trees, its all i can look at in the video.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Elk posted this on Facebook. Its shame they won't open the damn trees, its all i can look at in the video.

Didn't see a link in your post, coincidently found it this morning while having some brake work done ,

Trees would be awesome!
Hey Elk management , Here's a suggestion charge another $5 for a tree stamp on your lift ticket, put $30 charge on CC that is waved when the customer checks in to leave, Win , win!
You can manage who goes in the woods and make sure they are accounted for when they leave!

danimals

I copied the link and forgot to paste it. My bad.

The thing that bums me out is that frost is such a tiny hill, yet they have open bounds and don't care what you do. Elk is a great mountain and really has the best on map the Poconos can offer. It's frustrating that elk could be the most well rounded hill in PA if they would just let you in the trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gorgonzola

I have 2 elk vouchers if anyone wants em - they close saturday and I won't make it up before then. in lehigh valley

BenedictGomez

Elk posted this on Facebook. Its shame they won't open the damn trees

Best thing that could happen to that place is if the owner sells it. Open the woods, do some minimal updating, and keep the mountain open if the conditions are good.

ScottySkis

SO what's the reason again there is no tree skiing there?

On their website It says they spent a lot of money on the trees in 80 s because before then they move d all trees and slopes wear out by winds that why evergreen trees in pa. I seen people in the trees their.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Has anyone spoken to the owner and said they likely lose business over this policy? The only other place I've heard of no tree skiing allowed is South Korea and that was from a recent Snowmonster trip report.

VTKilarney

Has anyone spoken to the owner and said they likely lose business over this policy? The only other place I've heard of no tree skiing allowed is South Korea and that was from a recent Snowmonster trip report.

I have a feeling North Korea has a policy against it. You'd miss the beautiful billboards of the Great Leader.