• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best Terrain in the Pocono's

j law

I'm a longtime skier who has yet to ski this year... I have used this website to identify amazing powder days in the east in years past and am going to get my one and only day on the slopes this year (had our first kid so it's been tough to get out). I'm skiing on Saturday and it actually looks like I might go to the Pocono's given the fresh snow that is coming their way.

I'm curious about which Eastern PA ski area has the best mix of terrain... and save the "none of them" jokes please! I love tree skiing but am being realistic so curious about who has steep terrain? Who has good bumps?

Any thoughts out there?

BenedictGomez

I doubt anyone in the Poconos gets more than 4 or 5 inches out of this, it's just not that remarkable of a storm. Timing is more important than anything else, earlier start and it may only be 2 to 4, later start and >6 is possible.

As for destination, if you must hit a Pocono hill, I personally prefer Blue Mountain over Camelback, but if you're located in NYC, and you only get 1 ski day per year, I dont get why you wouldnt go to Plattekill or Hunter (or even Windham).

j law

As for destination, if you must hit a Pocono hill, I personally prefer Blue Mountain over Camelback, but if you're located in NYC, and you only get 1 ski day per year, I dont get why you wouldnt go to Plattekill or Hunter (or even Windham).[/QUOTE]

I'll go as far as Gore or Magic for sure, and I've been thinking about Plattekill for Saturday too. I'm just trying to figure out the best mix of conditions, snow, and terrain.

And I trust your opinion BG... so if you think Pocono's wouldn't be worth it....

Last edited:

j law

As for destination, if you must hit a Pocono hill, I personally prefer Blue Mountain over Camelback, but if you're located in NYC, and you only get 1 ski day per year, I dont get why you wouldnt go to Plattekill or Hunter (or even Windham).

I'll go as far as Gore or Magic for sure, and I've been thinking about Plattekill for Saturday too. I'm just trying to figure out the best mix of conditions, snow, and terrain.

And I trust your opinion BG... so if you think Pocono's wouldn't be worth it....

BeefyBoy50

Elk is in the Endless Mountains so i'm not entirely sure that counts as the Poconos. I'm not pedantic enough to look that up. Anyway, if you must stay in eastern PA, that's definitely the best place to go. Least crowds, top 3 for vertical and acreage, feels most distant from big cities and people throwing trash all over the place. Also the snow is generally the best. The lifts are a downside, though.
Avoid the trees at Elk, they'll ruin your skis. Snow there is good but unfortunately there just isn't enough glading and maintenance to enjoy the woods. Too much shit on the ground and the trees are too tight.
Really though, avoid the trees in the Poconos. If you want to ski trees, you would have to go at least as far as the Catskills (or to Blue Knob). Anyway, enjoy yourself wherever you go this weekend!

BenedictGomez

Yeah, Elk isn't in the Pocono range.

But if he can get to Gore or Magic, those are significantly better than Elk.

ScottySkis

Yeah, Elk isn't in the Pocono range.

But if he can get to Gore or Magic, those are significantly better than Elk.

ADks getting snow from this? +100/ on what BG is saying for terrain elk , then hunter and 2 nd Roxbury , but gore glades and good real vertical and less people then Vermont resorts

legalskier

I'm curious about which Eastern PA ski area has the best mix of terrain... and save the "none of them" jokes please! I love tree skiing but am being realistic so curious about who has steep terrain? Who has good bumps?
Any thoughts out there?

I skied Blue today (see my Trip Report). Conditions were excellent. The glades were open, though they aren't very big. Tomorrow's forecast is calling for 5"-8" of freshies, so Saturday looks to be excellent.
The only other Eastern Pa areas I'd go to are Elk (north of Scranton) and Montage (in Scranton), but I haven't been lately. I don't believe either one permits tree skiing.

gorgonzola

crowds are not usually an issue at blue this time of year - I did see somewhere they have a pretty deep discount $20 or $30 tix for online sales this weekend so that may change things a bit.

I never quite understand all the elk love and would probably list it in the overrated thread. yes it can be less crowded and I love tunk and kickapoo (?) when the bumps are soft but other than that I'm glad I didn't pay to ski there when I use my vouchers a few times a season. besides finding the terrain a bit boring, the signs, tree policy, lodge give a weird tight ass vibe - like the anti platty :-/

j law

Thanks for all the feedback here! I'm still debating in my head whether I follow snow to PA or make the drive to Mt Snow for considerably better terrain. Any reports on how much snow had fallen in PA? Radar shows some falling...

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZonemmmmmm🔤🔤🔤🔤🔤

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Thanks for all the feedback here! I'm still debating in my head whether I follow snow to PA or make the drive to Mt Snow for considerably better terrain. Any reports on how much snow had fallen in PA? Radar shows some falling...

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZonemmmmmm����������
I live near Bear Creek ski area 1" so far and will probably end up with 6" , small beginner area with a 5 star lodge ,Hotel .
Mt Snow sounds good, given a choice of Pa. 50f tomorrow things may get manky.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
The mountain is not the issue for me , it's the people , the place is ok during the week.
It gets skied of quickly by the crowd .I was there on a Saturday a few weeks ago and in 2 hrs was on ice.
The trail merge at the bottom is like a 6 lane highway

For me Elk spreads out what crowd they get.The trails merger closer to the lifts rather than uphill further placing novices to experts on the same slope. The Bottom layout was done for PR only IMO to gain another hundred vert.

4aprice

I live near Bear Creek ski area 1" so far and will probably end up with 6" , small beginner area with a 5 star lodge ,Hotel .
Mt Snow sounds good, given a choice of Pa. 50f tomorrow things may get manky.

Manky? You think by the time it hits 50 there would be any fresh around? See them grooming it in anyways (and they should). I see tomorrow as a spring bonanza in the pokes. Parking lot party at CBK all weekend, good base, some moguls "pass the tanning butter". Should be a wild and fun time. I going tomorrow till 1 then getting on a plane to Utah.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Manky? You think by the time it hits 50 there would be any fresh around? See them grooming it in anyways (and they should). I see tomorrow as a spring bonanza in the pokes. Parking lot party at CBK all weekend, good base, some moguls "pass the tanning butter". Should be a wild and fun time. I going tomorrow till 1 then getting on a plane to Utah.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Camelback is always fun in spring! crowds aren't too bad, although the new snow could be a wild card.
Have to work in the morning but hoping to hit a BC spot in Jim Thorpe in afternoon , may be melted out.