• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

More bad news from the weekend (skier death)

BenedictGomez

mulva

It's a very mellow traverse off Canyon/Glades chairs heading towards Cascade and Escapade. Sad news for sure.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Another "expert skier" on intermediate terrain skiing at a high rate of speed. Sad and so unnecessary. And may I add - avoidable?

BenedictGomez

Another "expert skier" on intermediate terrain skiing at a high rate of speed. Sad and so unnecessary. And may I add - avoidable?

I sometimes go tuna speed on non-crowded intermediate groomers, and I consider myself "advanced" rather than "expert", though YOMV on what an expert is. I'd really like to know more before passing judgement here given he was supposedly "avoiding" someone else. Yes, it's the uphill skier's (deceased) responsibility via the code, but there are sometimes shades of grey, unless your belief is that fast skiing should never be attempted. Horribly sad accident regardless.

steamboat1

I wonder where on the trail it happened. There are 3 distinct sections of that trail. One from Supe that comes out at the top of lower Skyelark, then between Skyelark to lower Bitter & then from the top of lower Bitter to the Northbrook trail.

It's always sad to hear of a skier/riders death on the slopes. My condolences to his family & friends.

BenedictGomez

I wonder where on the trail it happened. There are 3 distinct sections of that trail. One from Supe that comes out at the top of lower Skyelark, then between Skyelark to lower Bitter & then from the top of lower Bitter to the Northbrook trail.

Oh geez. So this sounds like one of those Killington runs that has a bunch of trail mergers?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Sucks. I know that a guy was killed on Bittersweet not too far from there after he went off trail into a tree.

JDMRoma

Also heard of another 23 year old from a crash at BW 2 Friday's ago died last Tuesday. Don't know any details other thank it was a snowboarder and had to be airlifted out. Not good ...

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Highway Star

Scott was described as an expert skier. Witnesses tell police that just before the crash, Scott was speeding down the hill and had tried to turn onto a connector trail while avoiding another skier.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Kill...=Killington,+Rutland+County,+Vermont&t=h&z=16

There are multiple spots on High Road where this sort of event could happen. It's one of the more dangerous intermediate routes at Kton, especially at speed, because of the mixed ablities, merges/crossings and rollovers.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I sometimes go tuna speed on non-crowded intermediate groomers, and I consider myself "advanced" rather than "expert", though YOMV on what an expert is. I'd really like to know more before passing judgement here given he was supposedly "avoiding" someone else. Yes, it's the uphill skier's (deceased) responsibility via the code, but there are sometimes shades of grey, unless your belief is that fast skiing should never be attempted. Horribly sad accident regardless.

I admit I do too. The tuna speed thing on an intermediate trail - I just let loose - So I don't mean to pass judgement. That why I was posing it as a question. It just seems that certain elements repeat. "Expert" or "Experienced" skier on an "intermediate trail.

Was it? That's not clear to me.

Well, no, it's not clear. But again it seems like a repeating theme. Someone that - maybe - should know better. It seems that it's alway the experienced ones getting themselves into avalanches and questioning "If we know so much what didn't we see?" I know that's a bit of an extreme example - can't think of a better one right now.

steamboat1

Grooming is killing people!
No skiing fast is killing people. I pretty much ski the same speed on groomers or bumps which isn't fast. I was never into speed. I kind of like making lots of short radius turns. You know enjoying every vertical foot of a trail. Skiing fast, especially with a lot of people on a trail is just stupid.

fbrissette

Skiing fast with a lot of people on a trail is just stupid.

This.

Do note I removed 'especially' that was between 'fast' and 'with'.

Skiing really fast with a lot of people on a trail is similar to drinking and driving in my book, especially when kids are around.